Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

5 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

If we somehow get snowed on again next week we may have something cooking this winter.  Pretty rough  pattern overall so maybe we have some WDI going on.

Wait a minute. You must not have heard. It's a "thread the needle" type deal. You would be crazy to think it could snow twice in December almost within a week. December is the new September. :lol:

• Haha 2

Most of the area got a coating just before new years and 1-3” around Jan 8th. It’s wasn’t as snowless as you make it you were just getting frustrated because the pattern had way more potential and we were hecs hunting. 

1-3 between Dec 19 and Jan 30 is snowless. Except for the 3 blizzards that winter sucked ass lol
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

The icon did take my snow away at 18z

:lol:

A couple issues with that trailing shortwave- it's more of a vorticity lobe than a sharp shortwave, and there is a lack of moisture feeding in ahead of it with dry air also advecting in from the NW. Maybe some snow/rain showers but an organized storm looks like an outside chance imo.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

A couple issues with that trailing shortwave- it's more of a vorticity lobe than a sharp shortwave, and there is a lack of moisture feeding in ahead of it with dry air also advecting in from the NW. Maybe some snow/rain showers but an organized storm looks like an outside chance imo.

It'd be a long shot. Especially with no blocking.

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

image.png.775a2b0c1cb9bb1f8031c8ed14145fc3.png

as I try to learn during a relatively quiet period - for our area, we'd want this "vort max(?)" closer to the NC/VA border, correct? and ideally tilted negatively instead of positively?

I don't like the trajectory of that vort at all.  We need it digging further west imo.  Looks like nothing more than a nw flow/snow shower-y type of system.

On the bright side, it appears we may be heading towards a pattern that produces signficant storms that are more spaced out instead of the constant barrage of vorts riding the northern US that typically bring nothing more than clouds and a breeze.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Ji said:

1-3 between Dec 19 and Jan 30 is snowless. Except for the 3 blizzards that winter sucked ass lol

Except for the 3 blizzards many still got more snow that winter than like 5 of the last 7!  There was a 3-5” snow for the western burbs Dec 5.  A coating late Dec. 1-3 early Jan.  4-7” late Jan. 3-5” early Feb. 1-3” in MD late Feb.  And that’s ignoring the ridiculousness of “except for 3 blizzards” but yes I know you’re mostly kidding. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Except for the 3 blizzards many still got more snow that winter than like 5 of the last 7!  There was a 3-5” snow for the western burbs Dec 5.  A coating late Dec. 1-3 early Jan.  4-7” late Jan. 3-5” early Feb. 1-3” in MD late Feb.  And that’s ignoring the ridiculousness of “except for 3 blizzards” but yes I know you’re mostly kidding. 

I’m fearful of a ‘97-98 scenario where there is no cold air in the DC area. Maybe that PV split delivers in January but even Judah Cohen is starting to hedge his bets.

• Weenie 1

On 12/14/2023 at 5:41 PM, psuhoffman said:

Yeah..This was in NW DC.  The 1/7-8 event stuck around a bit iirc

2009-10: 67.5"
12/5/09: 1.5", 12/18-19/09: 18.5", 1/7-8/10: 1.5", 1/30/10: 6.5", 2/2-3/10: 4.25", 2/5-6/10: 22.25", 2/9-10/10: 12.5", 2/15/10: 0.25", 2/27/10: 0.25"

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

The +PNA correlates with cold in January, but not so much December

Dec +PNA:

https://ibb.co/tbtHzyR

https://ibb.co/MC130Pk

Jan +PNA:

https://ibb.co/ZGQMXy0

https://ibb.co/cw1tPVc

0.1 to 0.5 difference. Models have us going +PNA at hr204-384+ but we are more -PNA before hr204. El Nino is the mechanism behind potential +PNA, and at +2.0c, that looks to still be here in January. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic