Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

4 hours ago, rehjr said:

Congrats he mentioned you in a post in the NYC city thread. Called out you and I on a post I made. If he believes in AGW why in the hell did he predict one blizzard after another  last winter for Boston? Called for 100”. He’s living proof anyone can be brainwashed into believing anything. 

For fucks sake AGW isn’t something you believe in or don’t. It’s happening now, was happening in 2014-2015, and will continue to happen. I got excited about the pattern last December and thought that the Nina + blocking + AGW enhanced mild ocean temps would enhance snowfall ASSUMING IT WAS COLD ENOUGH. I was wrong, simple as that. Yeah, my predictions last year were dumb and I’ll own that. I’m not forecasting those crazy numbers anymore because I listened to people who know more than I do and learned from my mistakes. Maybe you should do the same thing with AGW, but we both know you and Wolfie won’t. I’m not even going to bother explaining why 100+ inch winters such as 2014-2015 are not inconsistent with AGW. There is no point in trying to reason with you deniers. YOU are the one who is brainwashed, not me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 2

Yes, it’s true. We are in a warm cycle when it comes to the weather especially the oceans and have been for quite some time.  but the crap they’re trying to sell you on mainstream media that it’s the human race causing it’ are a bunch of liars. Still waiting for Al Gore  to apologize to everyone when his predictions did not come true he said back in 1998 in his book earth in the balance that our kids would only be able to see Snow in textbooks. The conveniently always forget about the medieval warm period.

• Like 6
  • Weenie 1

36 minutes ago, George001 said:

For fucks sake AGW isn’t something you believe in or don’t. It’s happening now, was happening in 2014-2015, and will continue to happen. I got excited about the pattern last December and thought that the Nina + blocking + AGW enhanced mild ocean temps would enhance snowfall ASSUMING IT WAS COLD ENOUGH. I was wrong, simple as that. Yeah, my predictions last year were dumb and I’ll own that. I’m not forecasting those crazy numbers anymore because I listened to people who know more than I do and learned from my mistakes. Maybe you should do the same thing with AGW, but we both know you and Wolfie won’t. I’m not even going to bother explaining why 100+ inch winters such as 2014-2015 are not inconsistent with AGW. There is no point in trying to reason with you deniers. YOU are the one who is brainwashed, not me. 

At the risk of experiencing the eye of the Tiger, wasn't last December's failure due to the depth and positioning of the west coast trough? I do not see how we could have realized success with that setup. Are there any examples of a similar setup resulting in a snowstorm for our area?

Just now, EastonSN+ said:

At the risk of experiencing the eye of the Tiger, wasn't last December's failure due to the depth and positioning of the west coast trough? I do not see how we could have realized success with that setup. Are there any examples of a similar setup resulting in a snowstorm for our area?

You’d need a huge vortex pushing down from eastern Canada to make it work. Prior to the Christmas 2002 storm we had that. A really deep SW trough into Baja but look at our area…that was setting it up for a Miller B redeveloper instead of a torching cutter. 

IMG_9947.gif

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cuteirishgirl25 said:

Yes, it’s true. We are in a warm cycle when it comes to the weather especially the oceans and have been for quite some time.  but the crap they’re trying to sell you on mainstream media that it’s the human race causing it’ are a bunch of liars. Still waiting for Al Gore  to apologize to everyone when his predictions did not come true he said back in 1998 in his book earth in the balance that our kids would only be able to see Snow in textbooks. The conveniently always forget about the medieval warm period.

On the one hand, the Earth has been warming for several hundred years.  OTOH, all time temperature records in polar regions of North America and Asia is a little concerning.  Record Atlantic ocean temps as well last Summer.  It looks like there is anthropogenic influence superimposed on the normal climate change.  I'm no liberal, I haven't voted Dem since 1992, and have been solid R except for 2016, I voted 3rd party.  But not Dem.

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There are ways it can work.  Let’s see how it looks next week.

We might still get a storm prior to January. There’s some signal on both GFS and Euro suites of something around 12/31. And yes, the pattern looks solid beyond that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cuteirishgirl25 said:

You are perfect example of what problem is these days with trying to discuss science related topics from climate change to vaccinations.  It's never an all or nothing argument.  There is no doubt there is a human component to climate trends.  The question is how significant??? It is certainly not 100% nor is it 0%.  Folks can stick their heads in the sand and block their ears if they want to, but that does not change the facts about climate trends and the likely partial input from humans.  On the other hand, those who want to scream and shout that the issue is 100% human caused are just as guilty.  My suggestion is read a variety of peer reviewed studies and stop listening to the extremes on both sides.  Is will be my one and only post on the subject.  I have zero desire to try to convince folks on the extremes of either side of the issue what to believe... 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, FXWX said:

You are perfect example of what problem is these days with trying to discuss science related topics from climate change to vaccinations.  It's never an all or nothing argument.  There is no doubt there is a human component to climate trends.  The question is how significant??? It is certainly not 100% nor is it 0%.  Folks can stick their heads in the sand and block their ears if they want to, but that does not change the facts about climate trends and the likely partial input from humans.  On the other hand, those who want to scream and shout that the issue is 100% human caused are just as guilty.  My suggestion is read a variety of peer reviewed studies and stop listening to the extremes on both sides.  Is will be my one and only post on the subject.  I have zero desire to try to convince folks on the extremes of either side of the issue what to believe... 

Yep and this isn’t the forum to debate every attribution. Anyone who has read a lot of the attribution literature when it comes to patterns and actual weather events knows it’s not a very cut and dried part of the science…as say…long term temperature trends. The other stuff is constantly being debated in the literature and often changes. 

We’ll tolerate some tangential discussion in here when it’s somewhat relevant to the discussion but there’s a climate change forum if people want to post there. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We might still get a storm prior to January. There’s some signal on both GFS and Euro suites of something around 12/31. And yes, the pattern looks solid beyond that. 

i would pay money for this to verify. luckily, the better pattern has moved forward in time. doesn’t seem like a head fake

IMG_3831.thumb.png.d5b57ba82e78ed7977bd16b7fea2d297.png

• Like 5

Looking forward for my first 20s of the season...

Lows are expected to be in the low-20s/upper teens for most. The NYC metro will be be drop into the upper-20s while far interior areas may see mid-teens. These temperatures are only a few degrees to 5 degrees below normal, but still some of the coldest we have seen thus far this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Lows are expected to be in the low-20s/upper teens for most. The NYC metro will be be drop into the upper-20s while far interior areas may see mid-teens. These temperatures are only a few degrees to 5 degrees below normal, but still some of the coldest we have seen thus far this season.

You haven't been in the 20s yet?

9 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Really? We’ve been in the 20’s more mornings than I can count this fall. I think 22 was my lowest so far.  You must have a blast furnace nearby lol.  Your area certainly isn’t representative of most of CT…you’re literally probably 10-15 degrees above most inland areas on your overnight lows. Very odd.