Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

On 12/19/2023 at 9:56 AM, forkyfork said:

i hope the ski industry collapses

In 2023, during massive El Niño fueled winter storms, South American ski resorts were hammered with record breaking snow and a ski season extending into November. 

Resorts such as Las Leñas in Argentina and Hotel Portillo in Chile reported a series of snow storms dropping upwards of 8-14 feet of snow per event.

Hope never lets us down.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I’m not a fan of MET winter…so I consider it a winter month…because actual winter goes until 3/22, so for me it’s a winter month.  

If we get snow in march(which we do a lot) we all count it towards the season total…like HUBB Dave and Ineedsnow did last March when they got almost 30” in that storm, which made their season.  So for me I count it as a winter month.  

But if we get snow in April or October we count it?  Does it make them winter months?

I don’t disagree with you but the logic doesn’t float completely.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

But if we get snow in April or October we count it?  Does it make them winter months?

I don’t disagree with you but the logic doesn’t float completely.

It floats plenty…12/22-3/22 is all you need to know.  Man made MET winter is just that…man made.  I’ll stick to the real winter season.  

And I agree.. April is spring and October is fall.  Original Point was we technically haven’t started winter yet.  

We had our hottest week of the whole summer in the beginning of September this year…that’s still summer and it showed it. call it MET fall, or whatever, but it’s still summer. 

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

It floats plenty…12/22-3/22 is all you need to know.  Man made MET winter is just that…man made.  I’ll stick to the real winter season.  

And I agree.. April is spring and October is fall.  Original Point was we technically haven’t started winter yet.  

We had our hottest week of the whole summer in the beginning of September this year…that’s still summer and it showed it. call it MET fall, or whatever, but it’s still summer. 

image.png.ab35bbe99737784b97026867df54295a.png

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

I’ll not agree there. 

And that’s cool.  We all have our ideas.  Mine is astronomical seasons all the way…makes the most sense to me.  

Would have loved me some December snow as bad as anybody …but it wasn’t to be. If we can shake things up for January and February, and cash in some, it won’t matter much to me that we lost December. If we can’t cash in much, then December will burn more for me. 

10 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

And that’s cool.  We all have our ideas.  Mine is astronomical seasons all the way…makes the most sense to me.  

Would have loved me some December snow as bad as anybody …but it wasn’t to be. If we can shake things up for January and February, and cash in some, it won’t matter much to me that we lost December. If we can’t cash in much, then December will burn more for me. 

How is met winter anymore man made than astronomical winter? One we define as the 3 coldest months and the other is the solstice to the equinox. I think both have valid purposes.

We’re far enough north that we’re wintry for 4 months and potentially 5 with a good run from mid Novie until mid Apr.

No one here truly thinks that March is not a winter month. The hormones may start changing for some with the increased sun angle and the wishcasting may start trending toward the warm side, but we all know it’s primarily a winter month outside of a few years here and there. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, dendrite said:

How is met winter anymore man made than astronomical winter? One we define as the 3 coldest months and the other is the solstice to the equinox. I think both have valid purposes.

We’re far enough north that we’re wintry for 4 months and potentially 5 with a good run from mid Novie until mid Apr.

No one here truly thinks that March is not a winter month. The hormones may start changing for some with the increased sun angle and the wishcasting may start trending toward the warm side, but we all know it’s primarily a winter month outside of a few years here and there. 

I agree it’s(march) a winter month…I just like the idea of the actual seasons.  MET winter/seasons was created by man to ease the record keeping ideas..no?.  Astronomical is based on the suns movement…not the ease of record keeping. And sure, they both have value..not denying that. 

It’s just my preference…it’s a tried and true idea that we’ve been following for millennia, and that’s good enough for me. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

March is more of a winter month than December. more like 20% over IMO

I'm with Kevin on this one, I would like to have snow on the ground from December -early April, In my make believe world! However, March storms, sun angle etc, snow pack if we have any gets wiped out quick in March.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 512high said:

I'm with Kevin on this one, I would like to have snow on the ground from December -early April, In my make believe world! However, March storms, sun angle etc, snow pack if we have any gets wiped out quick in March.

You’ll be making money on March snow(and maybe more often) just as much as December snow though.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

This (and the Winnipeg green Christmas) shows why this December is so much worse than a typical bad December. Very few places in NA south of 55N will have a White Christmas. This is probably unprecedented. Not just the absence of a White Christmas , but the lack of snowfall at all. There has hardly been any snow all season in the Dakotas, MT, MN, WI, MI, IA, etc. Winter is nowhere to be found, anywhere. 

I know it’s still early to write off the whole season, but you can’t deny how pathetic December 2023 will be when all is said and done. 

Dec has been horrendous. We had snow on Halloween, snow Thanksgiving weekend, and will have absolutely no snow Christmas week. Hope its a white easter lol.

Obviously winter will come, but the snowbelts in the North may suffer most of all, because they're the ones who rely on stacking feet upon feet and they have no base to start with.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Nobody knows what the rest of the winter holds , keep it together weenie 

Lolol ... I'm not losing it man. I'm truly confused on which direction this could go. Trust me, I have a life and a family. I don't live and die by what happens with the weather. We're just discussing is here on the forum..... Weenie ;-)

40 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Dec has been horrendous. We had snow on Halloween, snow Thanksgiving weekend, and will have absolutely no snow Christmas week. Hope its a white easter lol.

Obviously winter will come, but the snowbelts in the North may suffer most of all, because they're the ones who rely on stacking feet upon feet and they have no base to start with.

The heat this summer may come to North America 

41 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

We have been a month off on seasons since 2008

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Let him go.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We have been a month off on seasons since 2008

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

My wife doesn't pay a lot of attention to weather stuff but she has been saying that for several years.

A lot of people here say the same thing, It seems like the seasons are getting pushed later. I look at it as an annoying december reprieve. We have no problem getting early and late snows, but Dec has become less harsh and Feb more harsh. Though we won't this year, we actually have lucked out quite a bit here with White Christmases, but the decembers themselves have mostly sucked outside of 2 the last decade. Meanwhile, February (outside of a couple of clunkers) has been snow heaven.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Oh, I think it’s even more so than just a month off.

This idea of shoulder season winters is gaining traction - turning into a seasonal smear

It’s too early to tell, but I’d be shocked if white Christmas stats weren’t being influenced by shrinking cold seasons. December is now a transition month, a quasi extension of fall.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 1

Love this forum. You guys are great. Living in NEPA close to BGM I am split between discussions but the insight and feedback here is awesome.

Still think the northern mid-atlantic interior has a lot more to bitch about than many on here. The difference in "winter" over the Catskills and Poconos in the past 30 years is crazy. I was in snow and cold for 120 days when I first moved up here but now winter is from January 20th- through March 20th. I have seen 2 white christmases in the past 10 years but 8 white St.Patricks Day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Summit Snow said:

Love this forum. You guys are great. Living in NEPA close to BGM I am split between discussions but the insight and feedback here is awesome.

Still think the northern mid-atlantic interior has a lot more to bitch about than many on here. The difference in "winter" over the Catskills and Poconos in the past 30 years is crazy. I was in snow and cold for 120 days when I first moved up here but now winter is from January 20th- through March 20th. I have seen 2 white christmases in the past 10 years but 8 white St.Patricks Day.

We love it too despite what some elites think. We are salt of the earth weather nerds.