Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There’s a bunch of posters like me, you, Will, Ray, Wolf , Dryslot etc that are on the edge. Folks just deal with it in different ways. For now patience.. if we are having this conversation Dec 23.. pain 

I'll be on the edge if we make it past NY without an imminent threat. I'm good right now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Why is climo such a tough concept to grasp and understand? 

The fact is we (SNE) are wasting day after day of cold season basically snowless.

It's the equivalent of being June 8th, temps still in the 60's with no heat in sight. Usually late May/June we're all looking forward to 80s and 90s.

Folks shouldn't be panicked but certainly concerned.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 3

Just now, Torch Tiger said:

The fact is we (SNE) are wasting day after day of cold season basically snowless.

It's the equivalent of being June 8th, temps still in the 60's with no heat in sight. Usually late May/June we're all looking forward to 80s and 90s.

Wasting what? Early to mid December climo blows big ones in most of SNE....always has.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Exactly this yes 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

We're not wasting anything. What's the average Dec snowfall at the major climo sites around the region? It really isn't much

9 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Because people want snow?

Well then they can wait until favorable climo periods then complain when it isn't happening

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Wasting what? Early to mid December climo blows big ones in most of SNE....always has.

In La Niña it would be more concerning since December is supposed to be better during Ninas…but this year is obviously the opposite.  The tropics are pretty telling so far this month…rotating the MJO through 4-5-6 is going to produce what we’re seeing now. 

The 4 corners region low tracks are not the best pattern to be in for snow here in the majority of New England going back 30-60 and even 90 years. As Will stated, we need get the MJO to stop hovering around the 4, 5, and 6 zones. Storm track needs to originate from more of an upper Midwest area then dive southbound with the cold highs following. Not trailing well behind or coming in too soon to just to be moving out while a storm approaches.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You can basically summarize like this… if the much anticipated and widely forecast in many circles pattern change to more favorable with snow chances and sufficient cold beginning Xmas week and for Jan and Feb is delayed or pushed back or doesn’t happen or whatever , this place is going to lose it. That includes snowless SNE all the way up to NNE where much of area outside  the Mtns sees the giant snow eraser Sunday night. There are a ton of posters( myself included) that are hoping and counting on it . Folks are already posting on eggshells. It had better happen or all hell will break loose. 

I've been checked out since late last season, and don't plan on checking back in anytime soon. 

I hope do for the sake of your own sanity that the pattern changes for you and that you see snow.  I know it will make you happy, and for that...

I am rooting for you.  I want you to smile, and be able to make snow angels, and drink hot chocolate with your family while gazing out into the winter wonderland beyond your walls. 

59 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Why is climo such a tough concept to grasp and understand? 

There’s a proclivity on this forum to rush seasons, with no patience for the shoulder seasons.

This desire for 90s and torches from May to October and then deep winter during the rest of the year leads to some interesting posting.

No matter how many times people are told March is snowier, they want deep winter by 11/15.

To be fair the desire is more to match the solar cycle while climo lag is what reality is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

There’s a proclivity on this forum to rush seasons, with no patience for the shoulder seasons.

This desire for 90s and torches from May to October and then deep winter during the rest of the year leads to some interesting posting.

No matter how many times people are told March is snowier, they want deep winter by 11/15.

To be fair the desire is more to match the solar cycle while climo lag is what reality is.

Honestly, our region of the country has one of the longest lags…if people want the seasons to match the annual solar cycle, then they should move to the intermountain west. Many of them have their climo nadir in temps around mid to late December. 

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

hey I accept it! 

The way we/all of us allow like 4 trolls to drive the entire narrative on this board day after day is more telling about a society/social media as a whole than anything else.  It's legit fascinating to watch...literally year after year.

Seasons in Seasons as 'they' say.

• Like 1

I would not be surprised if we saw models start to back off on the intensity for things with the Sunday/Monday system. This is nothing more than just a seasonably strong cold front with multiple waves of low pressure developing along and traversing the front. Seems like models right now are going bonkers with one of the waves. I would expect that we do see some strengthening as the front moves east, but the core of the LLJ is going to remain off the coast. Far eastern Maine could certainly be in the game for some 55-65 mph wind gusts. In terms of the backside snow, meh...some areas may be lucky enough to see some snow on the backside but accumulations will be relatively minor. Maybe portions of far northern Maine get several inches. 

• Thanks 1

We aren’t the only ones suffering. My son is at school at Montana State University in Bozeman and the snow has been lean this year. Big sky is only now getting some snow but it’s been a really warm and dry start. Bridger can barely open . Bozeman locals saying it’s probably the worst they’ve seen, 50s in December. 

Although he did slip away to Grand Targhee last weekend where they got their typical couple of feet of powder.

22A0F445-DB72-441F-81D5-70A146409FF5.jpeg

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

In La Niña it would be more concerning since December is supposed to be better during Ninas…but this year is obviously the opposite.  The tropics are pretty telling so far this month…rotating the MJO through 4-5-6 is going to produce what we’re seeing now. 

Name one person who didn't expect this? Lol This place is mind numbing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1