Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

21 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I'm like Mariah Carey on November 1.   Almost time....

Ah, we can look at models at a reasonable time starting Sunday.  See yall soon with shit posting, awful model pbp and just all around fuckery.  

Welcome back with all that dirty stuff. Next week gave me 15 inches in 1968, lets do it again!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stormtracker said:

Ah, we can look at models at a reasonable time starting Sunday.  See yall soon with shit posting, awful model pbp and just all around fuckery.  

So in other words, you look forward to a normal winter of posts in here! :lol:  That's the one thing guaranteed, no matter how good or bad it is!!!

I await the time we can dust off the "Jaws" music...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itryatgolf70 said:

You have to say they hit the idea of the Aleutian ridge and there was troughing for the majority of the winter out west last winter 

That is boilerplate Nina. Ofc there are always variations in the orientation/position of the ridge. Same can be said for a Nino- stands to reason the seasonal models will pick up on the more pronounced STJ with the tendency for lower pressure near the Aleutians. 

6 hours ago, stormtracker said:

How am I just seeing the best forum post of the year! Oh right. I was drinking beer all day for a living. :lol: Looking forward to some winter fuckery!! LFG!! 

• Haha 2

I’m looking forward to padding my ~6k posts chasing cartoppers that melt by 10am.
  • Haha 4

A note about the extended products(weeklies) as a useful tool- they initialize off the previous day's 0z ens run, so the current run is based on 'old' data, and ofc there is already significant uncertainty at day 15. Imo the weeklies are decent for gleaning general trends in the longwave pattern(over a few consecutive runs) maybe a week to 10 days further out from the end of the ensemble run. Snowfall maps 1000+ hours might be fun to look at, but those maps are already pretty useless beyond D7.

A note about the extended products(weeklies) as a useful tool- they initialize off the previous day's 0z ens run, so the current run is based on 'old' data, and ofc there is already significant uncertainty at day 15. Imo the weeklies are decent for gleaning general trends in the longwave pattern(over a few consecutive runs) maybe a week to 10 days further out from the end of the ensemble run. Snowfall maps 1000+ hours might be fun to look at, but those maps are already pretty useless beyond D7.

I don’t think a 1000 hour snowmap is fun to look at when it only shows is 1-2 inches of snow
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Going back to the LR model accuracy that I was talking about before, now we have a colder pattern modeled, and a pretty strong +pna too. 

https://ibb.co/F8zkzqk

Since this El Nino began, The LR GFS ensembles has been in flux more than I've ever seen before in the last 5-10 years. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic