• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
wdrag

13 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Maybe we can sneak in a dry Thanksgiving weekend as the Euro and GFS suppress the southern stream low. The CMC still has the storm. But these split flow patterns are very tough for the models. 

F3BE7A2F-D2B1-467C-9AC7-1E9F06E4F4B5.thumb.png.c889805360cfbba86fa43b936a6de01f.png

85605AB6-3A78-484C-9D39-2F9FE920F7D9.thumb.png.af5a6f74b5e58f1ce0cbbece5b3edfc4.png49BC920F-C671-41A3-A99F-02D4C2C033B4.thumb.png.8d0af8e6cd1f24032e515b4007697ace.png

Ridge keeps rebuilding in the west with more of a Nino look going forward with the split flow 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, the_other_guy said:

32F this morning. Nice cold November, too many people keep talking about hypothetical warmth.

stop making yourself miserable and enjoy whats around you outside! I can’t remember the last time I had so many nights below freezing in November

four years ago you had more

Screenshot_20231120-082152.jpg

26 this AM. Quite a few 20’s since getting back from Iceland on the 8th. 

Happy we’re not staring down an inevitable blowtorch for Dec, though I’m not expecting much more than cool to mild. Hoping we get some real chances around Xmas. 

I know 3.4 is warming a bit again but the MEI is way lower than raw ONI suggests. Is that why we’re still seeing the mixed Niña/Niño influence? 

3 hours ago, the_other_guy said:

32F this morning. Nice cold November, too many people keep talking about hypothetical warmth.

stop making yourself miserable and enjoy whats around you outside! I can’t remember the last time I had so many nights below freezing in November

1 hour ago, forkyfork said:

four years ago you had more

Screenshot_20231120-082152.jpg

Yeah, I was just looking back at my records over the 5 past Novembers through the 20th and here is my tally of below freezing nights:

2019: 14

2020: 9

2021: 12

2022: 8

2023: 13

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We have issued a Freeze Watch for Bronx, Richmond (Staten Island), Southern Nassau, and Hudson Counties 12:00 am-8:00 am EST Tuesday November 21, 2023.  The watch is in effect where temps could fall to 30-32 degrees. The growing season has not officially ended here (ends Nov 21).

IMG_2602.jpeg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

We have issued a Freeze Watch for Bronx, Richmond (Staten Island), Southern Nassau, and Hudson Counties 12:00 am-8:00 am EST Tuesday November 21, 2023.  The watch is in effect where temps could fall to 30-32 degrees. The growing season has not officially ended here (ends Nov 21).

IMG_2602.jpeg

Seems like it'll be too cloudy 

5 hours ago, the_other_guy said:

Right? I don't get it. Nov is ending up solidly below normal, yet you would think we were all in the pool this past weekend. 

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 76 (1985)
NYC: 77 (1985)
LGA: 75 (1985)

Lows:

EWR: 21 (1984)
NYC:  20 (1873)
LGA: 23 (1984)

Historical:

1869 - A second great windstorm in three days struck Vermont and New York blowing railroad trains off their tracks. (David Ludlum)

1900 - An unusual tornado outbreak in the Lower Mississippi Valley resulted in 73 deaths and extensive damage across Arkansas, Mississippi and Tennessee. (David Ludlum)

1900: An unusual tornado outbreak in the Lower Mississippi Valley resulted in 73 deaths and extensive damage across Arkansas, Mississippi, and Tennessee.

1914 - The high temperature of 28 degrees at Atlanta, GA, was their earliest daily high below the freezing mark. (The Weather Channel)

1979 - A blizzard struck Cheyenne, WY, producing a record 19.8 inches of snow in 24 hours, and a record total of 25.6 inches in forty hours. Strong winds created huge drifts stopping all transportation. (19th-21st) (The Weather Channel)

1985: Kate intensified to a major Category 3 Hurricane and as she moved west of Key West, Florida with top winds of 115 mph and a minimum central pressure of 954 millibars or 28.17 inches of mercury. The next day Kate made landfall between Panama City and Apalachicola, Florida. Tides ran 8 to 10 feet above normal. Many power poles and lines were downed. Several roads were washed out.

1987 - Blustery northwest winds created snow squalls in the Great Lakes Region and the Upper Ohio Valley. Snowfall totals in Upper Michigan ranged up to 18 inches at Paradise. Lake City MI received 9.5 inches of snow in four and a half hours. Up to a foot of snow blanketed Oswego County in western New York State. Strong winds produced wind chill readings as cold as 22 degrees below zero at Duluth MN. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - Thunderstorms developing ahead of a fast moving cold front produced severe weather in the Upper Ohio Valley and the Middle Atlantic Coast Region during the afternoon and early evening. Thunderstorm winds gusted to 69 mph at Kennedy Airport in New York City, and winds along the cold front itself gusted to 56 mph at Cincinnati OH. The same storm produced snow in Kansas, Missouri and Illinois, with eight inches reported at Rolla MO. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Low pressure brought thunderstorms and high winds to the northeastern U.S. There were 193 reports of damaging winds with thunderstorms in New York State, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Tornadoes touched down near Seaside Park NJ and McAlevys Port PA. Winds with thunderstorms gusted to 92 mph at Poughkeepsie NY, and reached 94 mph at Newburgh NY. High winds in the Washington D.C. area, gusting to 73 mph, resulted in one death. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

2014: From the NWS Office in Buffalo, New York, “the epic November 17-19th 2014 lake effect event will be remembered as one of the most significant winter events in Buffalo’s snowy history.  Over 5 feet of snow fell over areas just east of Buffalo, with mere inches a few miles away to the north.   There were 13 fatalities with this storm, hundreds of major roof collapses and structural failures, 1000s of stranded motorists, and scattered food and gas shortages due to impassable roads.  Numerous trees also gave way due to the weight of the snow, causing isolated power outages.  While this storm was impressive on its own, a second lake effect event on Nov-19-20 dropped another 1-4 foot of snow over nearly the same area and compounded rescue and recovery efforts.  Storm totals from the two storms peaked at almost 7 feet, with many areas buried under 3-4 feet of dense snowpack by the end of the event.” 

2015: Season's first snow is Chicago's largest November snowfall in 120 years starting on November 20 and ending on the 21st. The season's first snowfall dropped as much as 17 inches across Chicago's northern suburbs, and the total of 11.2 inches at O'Hare International Airport made it the largest November snowfall in 120 years.

2 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

Right? I don't get it. Nov is ending up solidly below normal, yet you would think we were all in the pool this past weekend. 

I think it's groupthink and recency bias: we're constantly barraged with the adverse impacts from climate change (please, I believe in it, and I'm not denying it, so lay down your pitchfork; plus, destructive weather events get clicks and eyeballs), we see it in longer summers and milder winters, so anything that isn't brutal cold and consistent snow around here is easily mentally connected. We seem to act like we all live in some snowless hellscape. 

Add that to some recent dull winters, anything that continues pleasant late autumn days make us all sound like boomers and talk of back in my day. (apologies to the boomers on the thread)

• Like 3