• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Category Five Hurricane Lee

WxWatcher007

Should be a Cat 2. Still think we'll see some impressive reintensification this evening through Sunday. I still think Lee will make Category 4 again with a big eye once it gets structural issues resolved and the shear is negated. An eyewall will have some work to do to tighten the gradient, but Lee will have a big outflow channel to help as well.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nycwinter said:

it depends on where the upwelling happened if the storm was in the very  warm waters gulf or the deep warm waters south of cuba the water temps would have rebounded already

I’m not sure they would have fully rebounded given the track and intensity of Franklin, but I agree that where the upwelling happens matters. Gulf and Caribbean always cook. 

16 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Let the hype begin

Checking JB's Twitter feed now.

Edit to Add.  A Twitter met who either once posted here or Storm 2K, a Derek Ortt, who has an MS in met with a thesis about the effects of shear on systems with dry air around them, who knows more than I do, says resolutions below 10 km makes for bad tropical forecast solutions.  The 3 km hurricane models follow the storms.  Ortt works for a 'WxMan57', they sell products mainly to the energy industry, a big part of their business is tropical forecasting.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Nothing, it’s pure garbage

Disagree, the Euro as shown makes sense. Trough quickly swings through, doesn't pick up Lee and ridging rapidly rebuilds causing the storm to move NW

It helps how slow Lee is moving. Other models show enough interaction with that first trough to swing it NNE. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Hotair said:

Euro imagines a direct hit to New England from a high end category 2/ cat 3 Lee next Sunday

question is what is Euro seeing now that wasn’t evident 12 hours ago and that other models are dismissing ? 

GEFS has been showing 10-16% US hits for the last 5+ runs. EPS has shown 6-24% the last 7 runs. So, it hasn't been anywhere near totally dismissed by these ensembles.

Margot is the key to Lee impacting land.  Models that have enough separation between the two systems threaten either Canada or NE.  The timing of troughs will depend on which one that is, but if Margot is not close enough to draw this more east once it turns north I like this setup for landfall.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

The Euro has been all over the place. Swings between missing NS entirely to the East, and a US landfall almost every other run. The GFS meanwhile has been rock steady with a landfall on NS for days now.

That's not what I recall seeing on the Euro. There were some runs a few days back where it was a hit for the Cape, but in the last few days, it's pretty much been a hit for NS (albeit usually further west than the GFS). I think it's been more consistent than you think over the past couple of days. 

48 minutes ago, Hotair said:

Euro imagines a direct hit to New England from a high end category 2/ cat 3 Lee next Sunday

question is what is Euro seeing now that wasn’t evident 12 hours ago and that other models are dismissing ? 

Probably a slower hurricane that just isn't getting caught up in the trough, or possibly a stronger influence from Margo?

12Z EPS has ~6 (12%) (9/17-19) US hits excluding operational with 3 ME and 3 MA. So, it has increased again though nowhere near as high as the 9/7 runs and hits are later on average.

9/9 12Z: 6 (12%) 9/17-19 (3 ME, 3 MA)
9/9 0Z: 3 (6%) 9/17 (3 ME)
9/8 12Z: 5 (10%) 9/15-18 (5 ME) 
9/8 0Z: 7 (14%) 9/15-17 (6 ME, 1 NY)
9/7 12Z: 12 (24%) 9/15-19 (7 ME, 3 MA, 1 NY, 1 NJ)
9/7 0Z: 10 (20%) 9/15-18 (5 ME, 5 MA)
9/6 12Z: 3 (6%) 9/15-18 (2 ME, 1 MA)
9/6 0Z: 5 (10%)
9/5 12Z: 2 (4%)
9/5 0Z: 4 (8%) 
9/4 12Z: 1 (2%) 
9/4 0Z: 2 (4%)

• Like 4

I don’t think much has changed IMO. Long shot for NE (~5% SNE/15% Cape & ENE) with significantly greater risk for Atlantic Canada (40%) and OTS (40%) squarely on the table. 

I know people want answers now or to put their flag in the ground, but the truth is it’s going to take more time to have true forecast clarity of all the critical elements determining the long term track. Can’t latch onto any one op run or even an individual model suite yet. 

• Like 8

I don’t think much has changed IMO. Long shot for NE (~5% SNE/15% Cape & ENE) with significantly greater risk for Atlantic Canada (40%) and OTS (40%) squarely on the table. 
I know people want answers now or to put their flag in the ground, but the truth is it’s going to take more time to have true forecast clarity of all the critical elements determining the long term track. Can’t latch onto any one op run or even an individual model suite yet. 
I think Maine has a good shot if the block and trough time correctly, but, of course, Canada remains the biggest landfall threat. We may start getting swings back and forth with the OPs, though, as they iron out the position of turn and trough versus ridge. These could show a western run into southern New England at times as this interaction gets ironed out. It may open the door for hype, but it is what it is...
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

You and I know that nothing has changed due to one operational Euro run. Ensembles are the way to go and they've continued to suggest a low chance. They keep showing outliers run after run. Chance still remains low but nowhere near zero. I'm still near 10%.

• Like 5

I thought I read somewhere this has happened.  I might be wrong, but I wouldn't think the op would be an outlier to its ensembles.

Since ensemble forecasts began at ECMWF, they have been run at a lower resolution than the single 10-day forecast. This will change in 2023, when the resolution of the medium-range ensemble forecasts will double from a grid spacing of 18 to 9 km – our 15-day ensemble and single 10-day forecast will be run at the same resolution. This is a really significant step forward, made possible with the power of our new Atos supercomputing facility in Bologna, Italy. The extended-range forecast is also increasing from 51 to 101 ensemble members, running at a horizontal resolution of 36 km from day 1 to day 46.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

True.  One thing to note though is that euro has been among the most accurate trajectory models for Lee to date.  Will be interesting to see if 00z repeats with this westward bias. 

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Category Five Hurricane Lee