Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Discobs 2023

George BM

53 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I do wonder whether they are trying to be more gap-filling or whether they are aimed at denser coverage where there are people.

It's both. Climavision had a great presentation at the New York mesonet. They're planning to fill most of the existing NEXRAD gaps as part of an agreement with NOAA/NSSL. Personally, I'm glad. This is a great way to provide operational data to NWS and fill longstanding gaps.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

OK this weather is depressing, especially with lots of my monarch butterflies hatching this week.  I let about 12 go early yesterday when there were some peeks but today is just bad.  Ones hatching today will have to wait

How many successful hatches have you had this year?

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

How many successful hatches have you had this year?

About 30 so far with about 10 to go.  My wife took a few into her pre-school class for the kiddos to watch them hatch and release them

So now my zone has partly sunny tomorrow and Thursday -- yes please!  I'm really looking forward to that nice stretch starting Saturday.  We need to cram the good weather in before deep fall arrives

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

OK this weather is depressing, especially with lots of my monarch butterflies hatching this week.  I let about 12 go early yesterday when there were some peeks but today is just bad.  Ones hatching today will have to wait

I've noticed a LOT more monarchs flitting about over (at least) the past month or so...like, so many more than in previous years. We have two huge butterfly bushes in front of our home, but I don't think that's why there's so many more. Also, they are apparently getting more domesticated...a couple of have flat out landed on my hands or arms lately!

12 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Can actually see some breaks in the clouds up here. Pretty good forecast by LWX as they mentioned the potential for that the last couple days as the high builds a little further south.

My wife is going bonkers with no sun since last Saturday. Really hope we can manage a few hours of sun today.

19 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

CoCoRaHS just came in with a new visualization tool.  The 2nd half of 2018, LOL.

https://dex.cocorahs.org/

year-over-year-accumulat.thumb.jpeg.ba40cfb2622de119c5e562de1cc74929.jpeg

:lol: 

By December of 2018 if MBY got even as little as several hundredths of an inch of rain puddles would form in the low points of the lawn and walkways and remain all day. Bizarre.

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

CoCoRaHS just came in with a new visualization tool.  The 2nd half of 2018, LOL.

https://dex.cocorahs.org/

year-over-year-accumulat.thumb.jpeg.ba40cfb2622de119c5e562de1cc74929.jpeg

I remember Summer 2018 being super wet to the point that several Potomac Locks were flooded at times.  Basically, the polar opposite of our April thru August stretch, at least in the drought zones.  Summer 2019 wasn't dry either, if I recall correctly.

2 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

My wife is going bonkers with no sun since last Saturday. Really hope we can manage a few hours of sun today.

There's definitely more sun already than I expected.  I'm not a big fan of extended cloud cover, though I don't mind a reset every now and then like this past weekend.

3 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I feel depressed, must be seasonal sun disorder, lots of people have it.  Coffee is awesome, but some sun and D3 would do wonders.   

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic