Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Idalia

hlcater

1 minute ago, HKY_WX said:

It's probably a bit premature to judge the Eye size. Eye is still clearing out/obscured and looks slightly elliptical on radar. I'd wait a few more hours to see how it matures.

Thanks for weighing in. It is always nice to be able to learn from those who are the professionals.   

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

On a trip from Alaska to Hawaii on a 180 foot Coast Guard cutter we ran into a storm that was producing 50 foot waves. The ship was rolling so bad you had to tie yourself into your rack to keep from getting tossed out. Even 23 foot seas is no joke. Wasn't it Ivan that produced a 100 foot swell? 

• Like 1

Not actually, as been mentioned earlier there’s been mesovortices rotating around the eye at times. When that happens the eye will appear ragged/rugged but it’s actually not a deterioration.
We're also at nearly 15k ft beam from Tampa. The mesos are going to stand out more. We can't see the lower vort precip in the LLC of the eyewall. It may be circular given closer range.
  • Like 5

Perhaps this is banter, but figured folks here might know the answers to this.  I've always found it odd that the NHC will only do forecast predictions at 12 hour intervals, thus often "missing" key data points, like landfall -anyone know the rationale for that?  Just look at the 5 pm advisory, which had a forecast for the storm to be up to 115 mph by 2 am tomorrow. However, due to the idiosyncracies of the NHC forecasts, the next published point is 2 pm tomorrow, after landfall when the storm is forecast to be at 85 mph.  I don't know why, in situations like this, the NHC doesn't publish intermediate forecasts, i.e., at landfall around 8-9 am tomorrow along the Big Bend area.  It's true that their discussion does say, "The 12-hour intensity forecast shows a 100-kt (115 mph) major hurricane. It is imperative to realize that Idalia is expected to continue strengthening beyond that time, possibly close to the 110 kt (125 mph) shown in the previous forecast, before the center reaches land," but how many people are reading the 5th paragraph down in the discussion vs. looking at the track graphics.  Another pet peeve - why don't they put the windspeeds on the 12 hour timepoints on the track forecast instead of the inexact S, H, and M designations?  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, WxSynopsisDavid said:

Not actually, as been mentioned earlier there’s been mesovortices rotating around the eye at times. When that happens the eye will appear ragged/rugged but it’s actually not a deterioration.

I disagree. While mesovorts are likely present and can warp the edge of the eye to a degree, think there really is an ellipse. My best guess is due to asymmetry in the convective bursts that we've seen tonight. There's typically only 1 burst ongoing at a time while the other side of the hurricane is "quiet".

Not 100% on that one tho and curious to other input if people have it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

00z spaghetti models

10L_tracks_latest.png

Nearly unanimous Taylor County landfall centered on ~9AM EDT. Then it tracks go mainly just inland from Savannah, which is about the worst possible track in terms of winds. Also, high tide there is an astronomical high tide due to perigee and full moon and it's at 8:30PM, which is near the time of the center being closest.

WTNT65 KNHC 300157
TCUAT5

Hurricane Idalia Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL102023
1000 PM EDT Tue Aug 29 2023

...IDALIA FORECAST TO BECOME A MAJOR HURRICANE TONIGHT...
...CATASTROPHIC STORM SURGE AND DESTRUCTIVE WINDS LIKELY TOMORROW
MORNING WHERE THE CORE OF IDALIA MOVES INLAND...

NOAA and Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft data indicate
that Idalia has strengthened further. Maximum sustained winds have
increased to 110 mph (175 km/h). The minimum pressure based on
dropsonde data from the aircraft has fallen to 960 mb (28.35
inches).

The National Hurricane Center has begun hourly position and
intensity updates on Idalia. The hourly updates will continue as
long as Idalia's eye is easily trackable in ground-based radar data.

SUMMARY OF 1000 PM EDT...0200 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...27.4N 84.6W
ABOUT 135 MI...215 KM WSW OF TAMPA FLORIDA
ABOUT 205 MI...330 KM S OF TALLAHASSEE FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...110 MPH...175 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 10 DEGREES AT 18 MPH...29 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...960 MB...28.35 INCHES

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Master of Disaster said:

There is zero possibility that eye is 20 miles across imo. The eye contracting has been noted for at least two hours. Anyone have a way to measure the distance from eye wall to eye wall? I am curious if sat and radar actually show this or if it just looks that way? 

I could be wrong but I *think* recon found N-S elliptical eye 12 km x 8 km.  EDIT- I think it is 12 nm x 8 nm.

G. E18/12/8

14 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

4992a9738fd58b5d7214f5e13e9bd9a8.jpg

Thinking we got an EWRC going on

Don't think you can call it that yet. Still clear evidence that the band is spiraling inward and some of the "moat" is probably from very strong convection in the northern semicircle of the eyewall. I've noticed this a few other times tonight. If that outer band continues to gain substance then maybe though I think we're probably a few hours from that minimum.

• Like 1

Just now, hlcater said:

Don't think you can call it that yet. Still clear evidence that the band is spiraling inward and some of the "moat" is probably from very strong convection in the northern semicircle of the eyewall. I've noticed this a few other times tonight. If that outer band continues to gain substance then maybe though I think we're probably a few hours from that minimum.

I’m 50/50 on it. Recon hasn’t really found a double wind maxima. But man radar looks moaty.