• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July 9th - 11th significant flood event

ineedsnow

Do most of you Vermonters have flood insurance? Regular homeowners doesn't usually cover flood damage. Manu people are going to be faced with fixing their homes out-of pocket if they didn't have flood insurance.

Also, it's probably going to be impossible to find contractors to fix a lot of this stuff up. Imagine how many electricians, drywall installers, carpenters, etc are going to be needed to fix/check all these flooded homes. 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Do most of you Vermonters have flood insurance? Regular homeowners doesn't usually cover flood damage. Manu people are going to be faced with fixing their homes out-of pocket if they didn't have flood insurance.

Also, it's probably going to be impossible to find contractors to fix a lot of this stuff up. Imagine how many electricians, drywall installers, carpenters, etc are going to be needed to fix/check all these flooded homes. 

I'd say its probably in line with elsewhere.  I don't but I'm nowhere near a flood zone.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tunafish said:

Just awful.  Stating the obvious here but the recovery efforts are going to be $$$ and last for months.

Vermont's topography and the fact that most towns are settled along the rivers in the valley make it a "perfect" candidate for significant flooding.  The water just has nowhere to go.

And it's not like these are people building new multi-million dollar homes along the floodplains of prime hurricane country.  These are hundreds of years old settlements.  That is to say, you can't fault anyone for the losses they're experiencing.

It is also a huge environmental disaster. There will be thousands of tons of waste and refuse that needs to be dealt with plus all of the toxins that were washed into the rivers and waterways and deposited elsewhere.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Not sure. I think there may be an issue with the gauge.

I just checked Google earth and see there’s a dam there but not sure where the gauge is. I’ve seen it down here with a gauge on the Wallkill that will do that due to dams upstream. It’s just odd that the forecast had it dropping so I was wondering if the gauge was having issues too but I’m not familiar with this one. 

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It is also a huge environmental disaster. There will be thousands of tons of waste and refuse that needs to be dealt with plus all of the toxins that were washed into the rivers and waterways and deposited elsewhere.

Maybe avoid any seafood sourced from LI sound for awhile.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That’s the two feet above record crest right there.  Johnson is in bad shape.  That’s a lot of food gone to waste too.

:(
In 1987 there was 9 feet of water in the Gardiner Shop'n'Save (now Hannafords) and only the computers from the checkouts were saved.  The $2.2 million loss was the single biggest chunk of the nearly $100 million damage from that event.  (Perhaps 1/4 billion in 2023 dollars.)  Vermont damage will likely be in the same general vicinity, I fear.
(On the 1-year anniversary, the manager and crew "celebrated" the repairs, with butcher paper up on the walls with a wavy blue line showing the water level, continuous video of manager and another canoeing up and down the aisles amid the floating tater-chip bags, and a small rowboat hanging from the ceiling with 3 dummies in it holding fishing poles.  When all is lost, laugh.)

My son and I visited downtown Gardiner in the evening of 4/1/87, walking out on the RR tracks (which went 2-3 feet underwater by the next morning).  Everything stunk of gasoline, likely from water entering stations' underground tanks and forcing out the contents.  Lots of other garbage turned loose as well.  We also saw what looked like the top of a tin-roof camp floating by.  It was actually front end of a 40-foot trailer with the rear axles 20 feet under the surface.  Folks upriver saw that thing crash into the low bridge in Augusta and get pulled under.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

They've announced they are closed indefinitely.  It doesn't sound like a sure thing they will reopen.  The community needs that store.

359507939_727646369366675_45774106832487

359513607_727646579366654_20110884140904

359744965_727646199366692_84080358598004

359411853_727646259366686_35936809836603

That's the thing in these small towns, destroy the local market and its a long haul to get supplies.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

12z GEFS are ugly

GEFSNE_prec_paccens_126.png

Pretty sad when i have to revert to these measures in my BY to offset the flooding rain water we've had, The way my yard slopes and with roof runoff that can't be displaced elsewhere, This is the only remedy that's inexpensive enough other then going all in on drainage.

IMG_2857.jpg

• Like 6

Flood watch issued for most of Vermont for tomorrow into Friday:

https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=BTV&wwa=flood watch

Flood Watch
National Weather Service Burlington VT
1259 PM EDT Wed Jul 12 2023

NYZ028-031-034-035-VTZ003-004-006>011-016>021-130845-
/O.NEW.KBTV.FA.A.0003.230713T1800Z-230714T0600Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
Eastern Clinton-Western Clinton-Western Essex-Eastern Essex-
Orleans-Essex-Lamoille-Caledonia-Washington-Western Addison-
Orange-Western Rutland-Eastern Franklin-Eastern Chittenden-
Eastern Addison-Eastern Rutland-Western Windsor-Eastern Windsor-
Including the cities of Champlain, Plattsburgh, Dannemora,
Ellenburg, Lake Placid, Newcomb, Port Henry, Ticonderoga, Derby,
Newport, Island Pond, Lunenburg, Johnson, Stowe, Hardwick, St.
Johnsbury, Montpelier, Waitsfield, Middlebury, Vergennes,
Bradford, Randolph, Fair Haven, Rutland, Enosburg Falls,
Richford, Richmond, Underhill, Bristol, Ripton, East Wallingford,
Killington, Bethel, Ludlow, Springfield, and White River Junction
1259 PM EDT Wed Jul 12 2023

...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH LATE
THURSDAY NIGHT...

* WHAT...Flash flooding caused by excessive rainfall is possible.

* WHERE...In Vermont... Most of central and northern Vermont except
  Grand Isle, Western Chittenden, and Western Franklin Counties.  In
  New York... Essex and Clinton Counties.

* WHEN...From Thursday afternoon through late Thursday night.

* IMPACTS...Excessive runoff may result in flash flooding,
  especially along river and streams and in low-lying and
  flood-prone locations.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
  - Additional rainfall is expected Thursday afternoon as a line
    of strong thunderstorms moves through. Rivers and streams are
    already running high and any additional rainfall will go
    straight to run-off in areas that have recently flooded.
    Additional forecast rainfall amounts for Thursday afternoon
    are 1 to 1.5 inches, locally up to 2 inches in the heaviest
    storms.