Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 9th - 11th significant flood event

ineedsnow

11 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

depends-I've seen people cancel their plans when there was a chance of PM storms then complained when they didn't materialize...those phone forecasts are the worst thing to happen to weather forecasting...people see a raindrop and think the whole day is gone...

11 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I agree. They are terrible

But I’ve also seen a lot of OCMs half ass a forecast and never really nail down the timing or placement of the showers. Anybody who is capable can do this. It’s not hard. 

11 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I always tell people to ignore phone app weather . I outforecasted every single one of them last week in FMH. 

I had no idea how detailed the phone weather app sh.it had become until seeing it on my girlfriend's new iphone.  She was so excited to see it "forecast" down to the minute, complete with colorful, and fancy looking graphics.  We were standing outside one day last week and she says, "It's going to rain in 16 minutes".  I was like, "really?"   I stood and waited, and nothing materialized.  Same thing on Sunday.  Her phone said there would be showers from around 2:32 - 3:39 or something like that.  Sadly, it never came to fruition.   People at parties are doing the same thing...Calling out the impending rain that sometimes happens, or not. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Pretty dire words coming from some dam Near Montpelier.

Wrightsville Dam was built in response to the 1927 flood.  There were a couple of others built as well in response to that flood, Little River in Waterbury and the East Barre Dam, not far from me.  I expect they are all pretty full.

https://vtdigger.org/2023/07/11/montpelier-warns-that-wrightsville-dam-could-spill-over-imperiling-city/

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Pretty dire words coming from some dam Near Montpelier.

MONTPELIER, Vt. (WCAX) - The Winooski River in Montpelier has surpassed Tropical Storm Irene levels, and city manager William Fraser says the Wrightsville Dam is nearing capacity.

Fraser says if the water exceeds capacity in the Wrightsville Dam, it will spill into the North Branch River. He adds that would be the first time it’s happened since the dam was built, so there is no precedent for potential damage.

Fraser also says there are very few evacuation options remaining, so people in at-risk areas may wish to go to upper floors in their houses.

https://www.wcax.com/2023/07/11/montpelier-city-manager-warns-potential-wrightsville-dam-failure-flood-continue/

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Sorry for all your hassles. Hope power comes back quickly.

Thanks.  Power was restored around 1am.  I am thankful that my hassles are minor compared to what a lot of other folks have been dealing with.

• Like 1

My boss lives here.  She left her house last night and had to go through the woods.  She had moved her Jeep earlier in the day just in case.  The water was knee deep on the first floor of her house when she left.  She made it to her Jeep and had to spend the night in it.  She thinks her house might be a total loss.

image.thumb.png.8e1adb9d017d1d0bc7cdb8b6c4af945f.png

• Sad 10

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Wrightsville Dam was built in response to the 1927 flood.  There were a couple of others built as well in response to that flood, Little River in Waterbury and the East Barre Dam, not far from me.  I expect they are all pretty full.

https://vtdigger.org/2023/07/11/montpelier-warns-that-wrightsville-dam-could-spill-over-imperiling-city/

from that article is an shot of Montpelier this morning:

downtown-Montpelier-Tuesday-morning-1536

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’m hearing I-89 might be messed up in both directions and closed for some time in that Montpelier to Waterbury stretch.

Yeah not looking good, they wouldn't have closed it unless absolutely necessary. 

Post more pics! 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I’m hearing I-89 might be messed up in both directions and closed for some time in that Montpelier to Waterbury stretch.

It has reopened

https://www.vermontpublic.org/live-updates/vermont-experiencing-significant-flash-flooding#interstate-89-reopens-in-montpelier-area

The Vermont Agency of Transportation says the Montpelier section of Interstate 89 has reopened.

The stretch of roadway between Exit 7 in Berlin and Exit 9 in Middlesex is open again in both directions after closing overnight due to flooding.

VTRANS says crews inspected the roadway this morning and cleared debris from the northbound lanes.

• Like 3