Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Discobs 2023

George BM

34 minutes ago, GATECH said:

Loudest storms I can remember, 15-20 miles away and I hear constant rumble under still sunny skies.  Nice mamatus clouds under the anvil to my north.

This was a nice storm. Got hit good. Decent winds, pouring rain, lots of boomers. Fun storm

• Like 1

Just now, BlizzardNole said:

Just over 0.5 to go with yesterday's 0.4.  I have a some yard clean-up to do with lots of branches down including one about 10 feet long, and one butterfly bush split in half.  I'll just cut it down to 15" and let it regenerate.

This is our most intense thunderstorm of the season thus far. And I have two, fairly tall (> 8') butterfly bushes in front of my house, both of which I've observed COMPLETELY bending over in this storm, so...might have to cut them back earlier than usual this season.  :/ 

• Like 1

A mess up here. Power out all over. Numerous large branches down but driving back from the gym, where I rode the storm out, I didn’t see any trees down. Best storm in a while and best this year going away. Very strong winds but like I said earlier it wasn’t like some storms when you have the burst at the beginning and then it calms down. The winds were gusting over 50 for a good 20 minutes or so. Maybe 60, even 65; I was looking at it on Connecticut Ave and saw cardboard boxes, at times elevated, being blown Down the street. I read sterling tweeted potential for 80; I don’t think it was that strong in my immediate area. 

Eta: video in the other thread from Woolley park similar to what I saw in Van Ness which makes sense because the neighborhoods are right next to each other

• Sad 1

The west wind has been cranking within the rain fortress of the city of Frederick. Definitely not gonna score a storm with this setup. LWX had mentioned the flow upstairs which seems to be more beneficial to those away from the effects of downsloping.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GATECH said:

.81” in the storm.  Rain was blinding.  Bumper crop of basil and tomatoes have been laid flat.  Most intense storm here in a couple years.

I don't have IMBY rain measurement, but you're not far from me and it was easily that amount here...and yeah, it was definitely an intense storm! Sorry to hear about tomatoes and basil...some of the absolute best summertime cooking ingredients...being potentially damaged.  :( 

14 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Quick hitter here. Garden variety.

0.30"

So, you have been spanked several times over the past week, week and a half, and we've had that split thing going on here in the southern burbs of the District during that time. But today, MAN...it was pretty bad. One of the upshots is that the rain was pelting the southern-facing front of our house (and WTF is up with THAT?) SO hard, that I don't need to get to that front-of-the-house power washing quite as quickly now.  ;) 

• Like 2

Great job to the National Weather Service Today!  Your forecast and warnings were spot on.  My forecast from this AM called for storms between 5-6pm today, we got walloped at 5:30 on the dot.  Watches and warnings also were perfect.  Severe thunderstorm warning gave me 25 minutes of heads up to batten down the hatches and prepare.  Severe thunderstorm warning easily verified, numerous large branches and trees down in the hood.  Great work today!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I don't have IMBY rain measurement, but you're not far from me and it was easily that amount here...and yeah, it was definitely an intense storm! Sorry to hear about tomatoes and basil...some of the absolute best summertime cooking ingredients...being potentially damaged.  :( 

So, you have been spanked several times over the past week, week and a half, and we've had that split thing going on here in the southern burbs of the District during that time. But today, MAN...it was pretty bad. One of the upshots is that the rain was pelting the southern-facing front of our house (and WTF is up with THAT?) SO hard, that I don't need to get to that front-of-the-house power washing quite as quickly now.  ;) 

Good news, tomatoes and basil are safe!  Stood them back up, seem to be no worse for the wear!  Seems millions of years evolution have prepared them for summertime thunderstorms!  Update on total rain, 1.03”

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GATECH said:

Good news, tomatoes and basil are safe!  Stood them back up, seem to be no worse for the wear!  Seems millions of years evolution have prepared them for summertime thunderstorms!  Update on total rain, 1.03”

Glad to hear! We have a white dipladenia which has grown BONKERS in the heat/humidity over the past several weeks, easily twice the size (and double/triple the amount of blooms!) that's pictured here...which ended up FACE DOWN on the back patio with the wind/rain over the past hour. I dodged the lightning bolts, ran out and upended it, and it seems no worse for the wear.  :) 

Dipladenia-%E2%80%98My-Fair-Lady.jpg

• Like 2

And that's a wrap for July. Perfect ending for the worst summer month I can recall in my lifetime.  Almost everyday 90F or above, as well as one of the driest. And just dry in our little corner of VA . Total for the month a whopping 1.41".  Most areas tripled that, or even exceeded that multiple.  Capped off with a triple digit day featuring a dry frontal passage with dessicating winds.  This was worse than anything 2010 threw at us.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic