Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Discobs 2023

George BM

1 minute ago, TSG said:

The big heat the GFS is throwing out for the Midwest next week is downright scary. I can't ever remember such a wide swathe being forecast that far over 100 degrees, for 12+ hours in a single day. Lows in KC Tuesday night would be in the upper 90s...

gfs_T2m_us_26.png

There has been a discussion elsewhere about the GFS long range having trouble with surface temps because it is drying out the surface too quickly and the boundary layer schemes are having a hard time as it goes further into the forecast period.

I'm skeptical that KC mixes to 600mbs and goes superadiabatic near the surface.

1369903563_2023072612_GFS_153_39.00-94.59_severe_ml.thumb.png.887b87c016808242a86f8928f3595595.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TSG said:

The big heat the GFS is throwing out for the Midwest next week is downright scary. I can't ever remember such a wide swathe being forecast that far over 100 degrees, for 12+ hours in a single day. Lows in KC Tuesday night would be in the upper 90s...

gfs_T2m_us_26.png

Well at least Earth is still tilted on its axis.  We have that going for us...for now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

There has been a discussion elsewhere about the GFS long range having trouble with surface temps because it is drying out the surface too quickly and the boundary layer schemes are having a hard time as it goes further into the forecast period.

I'm skeptical that KC mixes to 600mbs and goes superadiabatic near the surface.

1369903563_2023072612_GFS_153_39.00-94.59_severe_ml.thumb.png.887b87c016808242a86f8928f3595595.png

I thought that looked a little odd but wasn't sure why, appreciate the details

25 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I'm thinking 96/97 for all three days at DCA.  Just a touch under what NWS is going (98/98/98).

I'm thinking 100 on Friday at DCA... didn't Ian have a chart or something that had like temperatures that we needed to be at or hit in the morning to reach 100?  Like 90 by 10am?

4 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

LWX bullish on t-storms tomorrow afternoon/evening with 70% chance even for the desert area.  Not happening here but some lucky spots will cash in (congrats again AA and Balt).  Some storms might be interesting with that much heat to work with.

Yep.   If you've been getting rain this month,  congratulations,  you're getting more tomorrow.   Meanwhile, if you haven't gotten rain this summer....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Yep.   If you've been getting rain this month,  congratulations,  you're getting more tomorrow.   Meanwhile, if you haven't gotten rain this summer....

I'm confused. Are you in Cross Junction or back in Stephens City?

Definitely dry up in the Watershed. Biked one of the trails up there today and where there’s sometimes a stream, there was no stream. It’s great for mtb, but pretty much that whole area could use water. What’s wild is that it’s been humid lately…we just aren’t getting a widespread system that can generate enough lift to overcome the issues we face in the valleys like downsloping, etc. I can only assume the primary issue is due to a persistent, multi-seasonal nw flow without much gulf interaction. I could be wrong, but I haven’t seen any reasons being brought up beyond that.
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Definitely dry up in the Watershed. Biked one of the trails up there today and where there’s sometimes a stream, there was no stream. It’s great for mtb, but pretty much that whole area could use water. What’s wild is that it’s been humid lately…we just aren’t getting a widespread system that can generate enough lift to overcome the issues we face in the valleys like downsloping, etc. I can only assume the primary issue is due to a persistent, multi-seasonal nw flow without much gulf interaction. I could be wrong, but I haven’t seen any reasons being brought up beyond that.

No front to kick off uniform storms and rain . Just daytime build up hit or miss

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Lots of cloudiness that may affect high temps and tstorm chances. I fully expect to get little or no rain, so my only question is whether 98 is too bullish

Euro has corrected down to 96/97.  I haven’t been bullish on this heat wave in terms of chances for 100 and I remain that way.  It takes a rare airmass for 100.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

I'm thinking 96/97 for all three days at DCA.  Just a touch under what NWS is going (98/98/98).

I think that pretty much what the 06Z GFS was forecasting.  The GFS definitely has problems. It's been running hot or at least that has been my perception.  Still 96 or 97 with dewpoints in the 70s is nasty. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic