• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2023

Stormlover74

78 / 69 and partly cloudy. Had a brief shower move through.   Partly - mostly cloudy today, warm, humid and scattered storms, some soakers.  Where and when the sun comes out mid to  upper 80s near or to 90 in the warmer spots.  More of the same Sat (7/15) warm / very humid and scattered storms.  Sun  look most widespread storms with mostly cloudy and humid.

Mon (7/17) warm and humid more isolated storms should get some pots back to 90, same for Tue (7/18) as stronger heat skirts the area.  

Wed (7/19) back to more scattered storms warm and humid.  Beyond - overall warm and humid with storm chances, the area will get skirted with stronger heat from the western ridge and Western Atlantic ridge creating elavated heights and s/sw flow with trough into the GL and Northeast. Could see some upper 90s a day or two if clouds and storms hold off a 19-21 period.  Perhaps a cooler 2-3 days in the 22-24 period.  Beyond there ridge and next surge of heat moving east.

GOES16-NE-GEOCOLOR-600x600.gif  

• Thanks 1

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 102 (1954)
NYC: 100 (1954)
LGA: 99 (1954)

Lows:

EWR: 55 (1940)
NYC: 58  (1926)
LGA: 59 (1940)

Historical:

1936 - Extreme heat prevailed across the central U.S. as severe drought raged from Texas to the Dakotas. Record high temperatures were established in sixteen states that summer, including readings as high as 120 degrees in the Great Plains Region. On this particular date, afternoon highs for 113 stations across the state of Iowa averaged 108.7 degrees. (David Ludlum)

1957 - Hail, with some stones up to an inch in diameter, covered the ground to a depth of three inches ruining crops in the Bath area of New Hampshire. (The Weather Channel)

1987 - Severe thunderstorms in Iowa produced eight inches of golf ball size hail near Grafton, IA, completely stripping corn stalks in the area. Hail caused more than a million dollars damage to crops in Worth County and Mitchell County, and another million dollars damage in Ada County and Crawford County. Unseasonably cool weather prevailed in the Great Plains Region. Eight cities reported record low temperatures for the date, including Duluth, MN, with a reading of 37 degrees. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - Severe thunderstorms produced large hail and damaging winds in the Northern Atlantic Coast Region during the afternoon and evening hours. Thunderstorms also spawned a rather strong tornado near Westtown, NY, and drenched Agawam, MA, with four inches of rain. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Afternoon and evening thunderstorms produced severe weather from eastern New Mexico to central Nebraska. One hundred soldiers were injured by flying debris and collapsing tents during a thunderstorm near Trinidad, CO. Thunderstorms in Colorado produced wind gusts to 77 mph at La Junta. Early morning thunderstorms produced torrential rains over parts of Louisiana, with 7.50 inches at Carencro, and 5.85 inches at Morgan City. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

1995: On the evening of Friday, July 14th, thunderstorms producing severe weather were occurring over Upper Michigan and adjacent portions of Ontario near Sault Saint Marie. By late evening the storms had evolved into a bowing line just northwest of the Mackinac Bridge. At 10:17 PM EDT, the thunderstorm gust front hit the bridge, and a gust to 90 mph was measured. Sustained winds of 80 mph continued on the bridge for ten more minutes. Thus began the intense "Ontario-Adirondacks Derecho" that would cause hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of damage, several deaths, and many injuries as it raced southeast from the northern Great Lakes to the Atlantic coast.

2005 - Death Valley had 7 consecutive days (July 14-20) with high temperatures equal to or above 125 degrees.

No surprise here:

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/environment/summer-water-conservation-m5g8ro09

Summer's here and water authorities across Long Island are reminding residents the conservation is key — and that water usage regulations and recommendations are to be followed to not only reduce consumption but save money. 

The Suffolk County Water Authority said that 70% of the 70 billion-plus gallons of drinking water pumped all year is actually used for irrigation systems, noting Friday that the Environmental Protection Agency has found that 50% of that water is wasted "due to inefficient lawn watering practices." All of that can lead to water shortages — and higher water bills. 

Suffolk water authority officials at a news conference on Thursday discussed water-saving conservation measures, starting with a reminder about usage regulations, all in hopes of keeping the Long Island aquifer from becoming overburdened.

In both Nassau and Suffolk residents are not allowed to water lawns between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., and usage is further limited to odd and even days, based on address: Homes and businesses with addresses ending in an odd number can only water on odd-numbered days, while those with addresses ending in even numbers can only water on even-numbered days. 

The SCWA and many local water districts, such as Western Nassau, Freeport, Jericho, Plainview and others, are also reminding residents of many other water conservation tips, including advice on taking advantage of water-saving devices like smart irrigation controllers.

6 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

Picked up 0.5” in 15 minutes here before, 0.54” in total for this morning. Meanwhile places south of Sunrise Highway got barely a drop

I’m 1/2 mile south of Sunrise where it was raining, but not a drop at my house. I can’t make this up. Literally feet away, and now it’s sunny 

• Haha 1

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

I'm pretty sure he lives at sea

13 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

Out of all the users here, rain probably hates you more than anyone else this summer lol

Rain running a distant second to the wife. Lol

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

No surprise here:

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/environment/summer-water-conservation-m5g8ro09

Summer's here and water authorities across Long Island are reminding residents the conservation is key — and that water usage regulations and recommendations are to be followed to not only reduce consumption but save money. 

The Suffolk County Water Authority said that 70% of the 70 billion-plus gallons of drinking water pumped all year is actually used for irrigation systems, noting Friday that the Environmental Protection Agency has found that 50% of that water is wasted "due to inefficient lawn watering practices." All of that can lead to water shortages — and higher water bills. 

Suffolk water authority officials at a news conference on Thursday discussed water-saving conservation measures, starting with a reminder about usage regulations, all in hopes of keeping the Long Island aquifer from becoming overburdened.

In both Nassau and Suffolk residents are not allowed to water lawns between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., and usage is further limited to odd and even days, based on address: Homes and businesses with addresses ending in an odd number can only water on odd-numbered days, while those with addresses ending in even numbers can only water on even-numbered days. 

The SCWA and many local water districts, such as Western Nassau, Freeport, Jericho, Plainview and others, are also reminding residents of many other water conservation tips, including advice on taking advantage of water-saving devices like smart irrigation controllers.

We’ve all been brainwashed into having pristine lawns of a non-native species. There are ways to conserve though. Cut the grass long and help it develop deeper roots. Also clover is truly not bad. It is great for pollinators and stays green even when things are dry. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Upton last night was saying this morning activity might put a cap on the afternoon stuff. 

I hope we can get something later since this morning didn't produce much for our area, but yeah it looks very isolated for the afternoon. I do think we have a better chance on sunday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustinRP37 said:

We’ve all been brainwashed into having pristine lawns of a non-native species. There are ways to conserve though. Cut the grass long and help it develop deeper roots. Also clover is truly not bad. It is great for pollinators and stays green even when things are dry. 

Honestly, the complaints about brown lawns here drive me insane, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SnowDemon said:

other than years like 2009 it's tough to keep a lawn green through our summers.    And he's right it's a british thing where temps are cooler and it's wetter

12 minutes ago, SnowDemon said:

Many in my neighborhood have more of a green lawn than me. I watered this morning because I don't want to develop dead patches like from last summer drought. First time I watered in maybe 2 weeks. I have seen folks with sprinklers that water so much, even with plenty of rain, the ground is soft and muddy when walked on.

• Like 1