Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

17 hours ago, kdxken said:

What's up with the oak trees? I think this was almost in to hubbardston. Looks like something's been eating them. Of course a tree guy would notice.

20230610_145338.jpg

Most of my 3 acre property looks like that. Cankerworms have devastated the oaks and beech trees. The property is heavily wooded so hopefully they can make a recovery or else I’m going to have a lot of trees to take down. Someone from DEM stopped by because the damage was so noticeable from I95. She said it’s the worst that she’s seen in the state. For about 2 weeks, everything was covered in worms. Lots of turkeys and other birds showed up and stayed close for the buffet while they were in full swing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jenkins said:

Most of my 3 acre property looks like that. Cankerworms have devastated the oaks and beech trees. The property is heavily wooded so hopefully they can make a recovery or else I’m going to have a lot of trees to take down. Someone from DEM stopped by because the damage was so noticeable from I95. She said it’s the worst that she’s seen in the state. For about 2 weeks, everything was covered in worms. Lots of turkeys and other birds showed up and stayed close for the buffet while they were in full swing. 

Nice!

• Like 1

Patches of oak defoliation are showing up in our area, most notably along Route 27 in Rome going into Belgrade Village, but also some in Farmington and Strong as well.  Typical spongey moth work.
Only sprinkles this afternoon though we had a little RA overnight to keep our everyday-rain record this month.  Maybe breaks the string tomorrow if the next system tarries a bit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Not totally surprised. biggest question tomorrow is instability. Might be better farther south but with weaker dynamics. Leaning towards going to Scranton in the morning

They hedge ...spc does.  They do this. This is one of those situations where they do this bump up as it nears. This has that tactic written all over it. It was general chance, then the marginal knifes up ... tomorrow watch - the marginal will be a little bigger/N mid way it'll have a slight embedded.  

This isn't Plains where a 4th period can be a slam dunk for finger of god super cells The hedge.

That, and this has looked - to me - like an intereting set up for awhile.   There may be sufficient surface heating with DPs running over 60 when push comes to shove, then the mid level height falls start eroding.   Wind direction may be a bit uniform? so may be more of a heavy rain/training CG bombs type of deal...

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Scooter says no. Dry and Coc Ky. He also loves dews so I don’t follow his train of thought. We follow Fish 

Monday night into Tuesday low 60s dews. Wednesday could mix out inland. Maybe east and near coast has a dew of 62. 

Boy have some lost it. 

22 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

They hedge ...spc does.  They do this. This is one of those situations where they do this bump up as it nears. This has that tactic written all over it. It was general chance, then the marginal knifes up ... tomorrow watch - the marginal will be a little bigger/N mid way it'll have a slight embedded.  

This isn't Plains where a 4th period can be a slam dunk for finger of god super cells The hedge.

That, and this has looked - to me - like an intereting set up for awhile.   There may be sufficient surface heating with DPs running over 60 when push comes to shove, then the mid level height falls start eroding.   Wind direction may be a bit uniform? so may be more of a heavy rain/training CG bombs type of deal...

I could see an upgrade to a slight risk across parts of the mid-Atlantic north into southeastern PA and southwestern NJ. Not sure though this would be worth driving 5-6 hours for. Scranton is doable (a bit under 4 hours). Actually, I'm wondering if we could see some nocturnal elevated convection move through here late evening/overnight, especially southern Connecticut. that would be fun. 

Wednesday has some supercell potential. 

Why does it seem like it’s either the full dog days of deep summer, or like 40s and rain with snow in the hills?

Like 48 hours of some light dews while temps are not hot… it’s akin to like the first chance of snow showers in November with a slight chance of a mulch dusting in a few spots.

Some enjoy that, others are like meh, show me a snowstorm.  That’s all Scooter seems to be saying. He wants the 70F dews and heat (aka the real snowstorm) while DIT is getting excited for the passing snow showers or taste of 60F dews.

Just two different strokes of the same weather. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Why does it seem like it’s either the full dog days of deep summer, or like 40s and rain with snow in the hills?

Like 48 hours of some light dews while temps are not hot… it’s akin to like the first chance of snow showers in November with a slight chance of a mulch dusting in a few spots.

Some enjoy that, others are like meh, show me a snowstorm.  That’s all Scooter seems to be saying. He wants the 70F dews and heat (aka the real snowstorm) while DIT is getting excited for the passing snow showers or taste of 60F dews.

When does the “Well looks like you guys who wanted cold, crappy summer weather win” happen?  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

They cray.

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I could see an upgrade to a slight risk across parts of the mid-Atlantic north into southeastern PA and southwestern NJ. Not sure though this would be worth driving 5-6 hours for. Scranton is doable (a bit under 4 hours). Actually, I'm wondering if we could see some nocturnal elevated convection move through here late evening/overnight, especially southern Connecticut. that would be fun. 

Wednesday has some supercell potential. 

Wednesday does look a little interesting 

7 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I will be assessing models in my bathroom with my head in the toilet. If I'm not happy with what I see I will continuously flush until my scrawny, slender, fragile body is sucked into the pipes of hell.  

Go west. Go west. Go west. :( 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Even got the dog a few rolls in the last couple piles of snow remaining. 

1305830330_June112023Sasha2.thumb.jpg.5aa303a1b66ead5bb5cfcadf781a3d95.jpg

Of all the "traditions" on this board, the 'last roll in the snowpile' is one of my favorites.

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

When does the “Well looks like you guys who wanted cold, crappy summer weather win” happen?  

This inevitable forthcoming post, however, is not.

• Like 2