Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

maybe we'll get some type of prolific hybrid in late October in which a hurricane comes up the EC and interacts with the remnants of a TC moving up from the GOM and pulls down air straight from Santa's house and we get a region wide 3-5 foot snowstorm with supercells on the leading edge

with a fishing boat out of Gloucester in the mix.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Anybody else notice the lack of Black flies? None here. Not that I'm complaining but it's likely another sign of the apocalypse.

Well, We need warm weather and sun for them to hatch, We've had none here, Even the mosquitos drowned.

1 minute ago, kdxken said:

Anybody else notice the lack of Black flies? None here. Not that I'm complaining but it's likely another sign of the apocalypse.

No mosquitoes here.  Which seems rather odd considering the heat's been null and we've had some decent rains this spring.  Usually by Mem DW it's an atonal chorus of shrieking whir out there but I haven't seen a single mosquito. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Oh it’s very strange. This is probably more for the tropical thread, but originally I thought the pattern (with a propagating CCKW) would set the EPAC off first. Crickets so far there.

I’m not sold yet, but we may be seeing the first signs that the historically warm basin is screwing up how the Atlantic shear profile looks in what we would normally see in a strengthening niño. 

I mean this isn’t what I’d expect to see for the last half of June into July. Especially not in this ENSO profile.

Rk71xQu.png

LSh9N2o.png

I think the other critical thing that’s being overlooked is that unlike past years—even the active ones—we are seeing far less stability issues and more moisture in the MDR as SAL has been anomalously low when it would be peaking climatologically.

That’s a huge red flag to me. 

h6qz5rj.jpg

This is great stuff...thanks!!

14 hours ago, dryslot said:

I've seen a white pine get obliterated when it was struck by a bolt at the golf course about 10 yrs ago when we had a severe cell come thru and we just got back in the clubhouse and there were shards of the tree scattered all over a 50 yd radius as it just exploded, Even the ground got fried where the roots traveled.

In March 2021 we had a 75-foot-tall fir destroyed by a strike just 55 yards from the house, with a 4-foot splinter blown halfway to our place and smaller pieces (plus one 30-footer) scattered around.  Ruined the genny-to-panel connection, which we only found out a month later when the lights went out, the generator started as usual but no juice to the house.  The strike also cooked the DirecTV cable.  Our poor Lab mix was still quivering 45 minutes later despite my near-constant affection and now gets scared by the first distant rumble.

It was cloudy and cool today but I thought we might escape without rain I thought wrong. Quick shower while I was in the grocery store. Only .03 but still enough to annoy. The high temp was a summery 57.5°. 

58/48 yesterday after 59/53 on Saturday, 7th sub-60 this month, tied with 2015 for most in June.  We're 2.3 BN thru yesterday.  June '15 at -4.0 is our coolest of 25 and followed our mildest May - only year with June cooler (by 0.3°) than May.

16 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

No mosquitoes here.  Which seems rather odd considering the heat's been null and we've had some decent rains this spring.  Usually by Mem DW it's an atonal chorus of shrieking whir out there but I haven't seen a single mosquito. 

I'm almost wondering if the unusually early and pervasive N/A fires might be causing unusual behavior in the insect fauna in general. 

not just squitoes... I mean us disc golfers aren't being harassed by those Green Heads on blood recon, either. You gather a couple of them f'n bastards and you own 'em the whole day. They tirelessly fly mobius loops around your head - they're so much fun when you actually swat one with a disc.   They're usually pretty bad by late May and we haven't seen any of those, either.

Anyway ... like some plant species are natural insect repellents - is it possible burning bush materials might have deterred ?

16 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Plenty of mosquitos here, but May is the black fly month around our area.  In N. Maine the critters peak in June, usually 1st half.  That's for the blood-licking species; there are other species that appear thru Sept (Oct if it's especially mild) that don't bite though they are good at flying into ears/eyes.  Exception is north-central Maine, Medway/Mattawamkeag area, where there's species of biting black flies thru most of the summer.  :thumbsdown:

37 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Oh it’s very strange. This is probably more for the tropical thread, but originally I thought the pattern (with a propagating CCKW) would set the EPAC off first. Crickets so far there.

I’m not sold yet, but we may be seeing the first signs that the historically warm basin is screwing up how the Atlantic shear profile looks in what we would normally see in a strengthening niño. 

I mean this isn’t what I’d expect to see for the last half of June into July. Especially not in this ENSO profile.

Rk71xQu.png

LSh9N2o.png

I think the other critical thing that’s being overlooked is that unlike past years—even the active ones—we are seeing far less stability issues and more moisture in the MDR as SAL has been anomalously low when it would be peaking climatologically.

That’s a huge red flag to me. 

h6qz5rj.jpg

Yeah all that .. but that thing out there would make a September 3rd grader  jealous.  Man it's like completely incongruent.  It doesn't look like a June anomaly where it's kind of stuggling ?  ya know -   this thing demonstratively looks like an apex seasonal bomb is about to happen.

• Like 1

Maybe we'll get some improvement later on today but these temperature stumping pancake skies aren't the most pleasant out of doors. 

This thing over the weekend is road kill ...smearing its guts out E of NF yet still... all but entirely in the grave it's reaching a tentacle back to fuck the coastal folk -

32 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm almost wondering if the unusually early and pervasive N/A fires might be causing unusual behavior in the insect fauna in general. 

not just squitoes... I mean us disc golfers aren't being harassed by those Green Heads on blood recon, either. You gather a couple of them f'n bastards and you own 'em the whole day. They tirelessly fly mobius loops around your head - they're so much fun when you actually swat one with a disc.   They're usually pretty bad by late May and we haven't seen any of those, either.

Anyway ... like some plant species are natural insect repellents - is it possible burning bush materials might have deterred ?

They like darker colors blacks and blues to buzz around, I use to put my hat on a golf club way above my head and they would buzz around it.............lol