Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I wonder if there was ltg involved like Tip said. That fence in the background seems ok? If that was from a blast, I’d have to imagine windows nearby would be broken? That damage looks like it had some force to it. Would think windows would be broken. 

Yeah agreed. I questioned my sister while they were investigating… no burn marks or anything on the deck.  Would a step show burnt wood?

It was very odd to me. Like tree gets hit by lightning, deck blows apart too.  I was asking if the tree hit the deck, nope. Just bizarre damage pattern.  She said they thought their house was hit as it shook the whole house. Asked about windows and they said no broken windows, which would go first I’d assume.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah agreed. I questioned my sister while they were investigating… no burn marks or anything on the deck.  Would a step show burnt wood?

It was very odd to me. Like tree gets hit by lightning, deck blows apart too.  I was asking if the tree hit the deck, nope. Just bizarre damage pattern.  She said they thought their house was hit as it shook the whole house.

electrical impulse doesn't always convert to thermal energy - it can "disassociate" matter too.   But yeah, it's still a fair question.

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

electrical impulse doesn't always convert to thermal energy - it can "disassociate" matter too.   But yeah, it's still a fair question.

You know I think you guys are right for sure… watching video of lightning hitting wood, it just explodes like that deck railing. There had to be an arm of electricity hitting that.

Kinda makes you think about the dangers of any exposure at all to a thunderstorm.  I can't tell how many times I've stepped out for a geek moment during thunder ..geesh.   Like, ...oh say, just gonna step out on the deck for a second to check out the storm. 

heh

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

this one's been memed around quite a bit... It absolutely detonates the tree into fibers and pretty much ends its life.   (f'n tree!  huh)

How lucky is that fool that strolled across the courtyard and went into the house just before the strike?

• Like 2

Lightening struck my neighbors cherry tree 3 yrs ago.  It a barrel 6 feet in diameter. Split it to the roots.  I was in my home office and it sounded and felt like a bomb went off.  Shook my house.  I looked and saw  half of it falling to the ground. Tree was detonated.    

I have stacks of it still - we split it up and divided it among the helpers. I do not remember seeing anything blackened.  Could have  done, but I didnt see it.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

Lightening struck my neighbors cherry tree 3 yrs ago.  It a barrel 6 feet in diameter. Split it to the roots.  I was in my home office and it sounded and felt like a bomb went off.  Shook my house.  I looked and saw  half of it falling to the ground. Tree was detonated.    

I have stacks of it still - we split it up and divided it among the helpers. I do not remember seeing anything blackened.  Could have  done, but I didnt see it.  

I had a hickory get hit in my yard, heard it but didn't see it happen, been cutting it for firewood, quickest way to season wood there is.

• Like 1

I've seen a white pine get obliterated when it was struck by a bolt at the golf course about 10 yrs ago when we had a severe cell come thru and we just got back in the clubhouse and there were shards of the tree scattered all over a 50 yd radius as it just exploded, Even the ground got fried where the roots traveled.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I've seen a white pine get obliterated when it was struck by a bolt at the golf course about 10 yrs ago when we had a severe cell come thru and we just got back in the clubhouse and there were shards of the tree scattered all over a 50 yd radius as it just exploded, Even the ground got fried where the roots traveled.

When I was a kid I was on the campus of Bowdoin College (don’t recall why) when a big storm rolled through.  We were in one of the buildings on a quad or something. Big pines all around.  A huge bolt zapped one of the trees less than 100 feet from us.  Big chunks of bark went everywhere    I kept a piece for a while.  
that was probably early 1980s

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, dryslot said:

This month has sucked, No way to sugar coat it, Looks like a few days in the 80's then back to the same garbage next weekend.

It was cloudy and cool today but I thought we might escape without rain I thought wrong. Quick shower while I was in the grocery store. Only .03 but still enough to annoy. The high temp was a summery 57.5°. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

This month has sucked, No way to sugar coat it, Looks like a few days in the 80's then back to the same garbage next weekend.

I doubt it will be like this next weekend. Pattern’s more likely to fade into a hybrid Bahama blue /EC parallel circulation type if the ridge really breaks down that fast.  This recent trough was likely the last of the cold pool above mild breezes. 

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

It was cloudy and cool today but I thought we might escape without rain I thought wrong. Quick shower while I was in the grocery store. Only .03 but still enough to annoy. The high temp was a summery 57.5°. 

Today seemed like the coldest one of them all to be honest.

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

We managed 74 for several hrs while the breeze went nearly calm. 

Yeah we were stuck in the N flow reach around with 925mb temps in the 8-10C (45-50F) range this afternoon… along with thick stratus from the wrap around moisture.  Drilling the chill into the northern mtns/hills.

Looked like it was better S/SE of the mountains this afternoon.

53FFC99D-4E21-4A41-94E1-745365982AA3.thumb.png.c84cedfc118902bf046568f8fec0c554.png

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah we were stuck in the N flow reach around with 925mb temps in the 8-10C (45-50F) range this afternoon… along with thick stratus from the wrap around moisture.  Drilling the chill into the northern mtns/hills.

Looked like it was better S/SE of the mountains this afternoon.

53FFC99D-4E21-4A41-94E1-745365982AA3.thumb.png.c84cedfc118902bf046568f8fec0c554.png

This pattern is breaking down really during this week. This was probably the last of the cold pocket severed drift down over New England butt poke troughs.  

Even if we don’t get the heat wave at the end of the week, the pattern is different - it’s not going back to this. Tell that to people right? It’s not gonna fly until they start to feel it or see it but that’s what all the available techniques and tools out there are really signaling at this time. 

• Like 1

You could tell there was going to be two Invests by the end of today looking across the MDR. 

i’ve noticed this over the years that those TWs tend to come off in pairs. Often times the lead wave will “eat” the SAL and sacrifice itself for the second one… I mean I don’t think that’s what’s going on with this scenario, but seeing the duple waves, it’s not a surprise to me. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looks warm to hot and very dewy starting Friday . Next few weeks will be remembered for the high dews more than heat 

Yeah just running through the models, not overly hot (upper 70s to low 80s most spots) but dews around 70F with daily shower/storm chances.  Could be quite wet but each day is hit or miss variety. Swampy.