Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 - tracking the tropics

mcglups

7 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I don’t think it’s an ERC. I think it’s just the shear has undercut it some. It’s not a 5 anymore but certainly still a strong 4.

yQOPtCV.png

elEloKY.png

vkySOrK.png

Agreed, there is no secondary eyewall yet. I think one will occur over the weekend though. After which time lee has its best shot at peak intensity while north of PR before it eventually reaches the Franklin cold wake. After that point as it making the turn north it should really start to increase in size and may just barely be a major. The thing is for practical coastal implications a storm at 115mph with hurricane force winds extending 100 miles from the center will produce larger swells than lee yesterday at 165mph with hurricane force winds extending 20 miles.

• Like 3

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

The shift in medium range guidance there was one of the most extreme shifts I’ve ever seen for tropical. 

Tough when the ensemble suite stretches from Bermuda to central Newfoundland for the same forecast hour. The spread at range for Lee is less than climo per Tomer Burg's products. 

density_new.png

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Well that’s social media. I’m talking about this thread. I get that people are imby here so if it’s not a category four over your head it’s meh and boring, but this is worthy of tracking with expectations in check.

To be clear—I’m not saying that folks should only talk about the hit possibilities. I appreciate the analysis about the continued less than “ideal” troughing from some, or the need to move past 70W, or there being too many moving pieces to feel confident in any additional westward shift, but that’s what I want to see. Analysis. 

you must be new here.

• Haha 1

Everyone thinks that the hot SST will automatically translate to a 400 mph hurricane lol.  SST is an important driver but shear, ERCs, and proximity to land counts.   Right now Lee seems to be regrouping but the peak may have been last night.  Still a rough ride for the fish.

• Like 1