• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
When will (did) you install/ turn on the AC this year?

Cold Miser

2023 AC Install Poll  

44 members have voted

1. 1. When do you plan on installing/ turning on AC this year (or have you already done it)?

• March
    • nApril - 1st half
    • nApril - 2nd half
    • May - 1st half
    • May - 2nd half
    • June
    • July
    • Never because I don't use a.c.
    • Never because I have central a.c.
    • I hold off as long as possible, sweating all night long because I am too cheap to turn it on.
    • Other (describe in comments)

2 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

thousands upon thousands of homeowners have had terrible experiences with solar power companies. ....thousands of lawsuits.

this is true for any contractor providing services to homeowners, it's not unique to solar companies

for the homeowner, owning the panels (vs. leasing) is a better deal, but costs more up front

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brewbeer said:

this is true for any contractor providing services to homeowners, it's not unique to solar companies

for the homeowner, owning the panels (vs. leasing) is a better deal, but costs more up front

...take a look at how many states have filed suit against solar power companies.

17 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I have been thinking about that. 

If you can, do it, especially if you have decent exposure.   My 535KW panel installation has  a ESE exposure and I still do fine.  I'm divorced and don't use the electric oven or clothes dryer very much.  I haven't had an electric bill since installation in 2012.  Also, since 2012, solar panels have really come down in price and I believe there is still a federal tax credit.  I got 30% off the price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Does Templeton have its own utility?

They must, Chicopee does, and their electric rate is similar to Templeton. There are lots of homes in Chicopee with electric heat because it's cheaper than oil. Most of the time, electric heat hurts the sale of a house but not in Chicopee. 

I have National Grid but signed on with a different provider with a rate much cheaper than National Grid, I knocked over $100 off my monthly bill.

• Like 2

I used a low interest home equity loan from my credit union to finance my panels. My monthly loan payment was $160 a month which was less than or equal to my average monthly electric bill. Instead of paying Eversource I paid off the loan. My panels took 5 years to be paid off and reach my return on investment.

My electric bill is just the $9.62 service charge every month. My house is 100% electric including my heat pumps for heat. 

Screenshot_20230423-054129_Drive.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BrianW said:

I used a low interest home equity loan from my credit union to finance my panels. My monthly loan payment was $160 a month which was less than or equal to my average monthly electric bill. Instead of paying Eversource I paid off the loan. My panels took 5 years to be paid off and reach my return on investment.

My electric bill is just the $9.62 service charge every month. My house is 100% electric including my heat pumps for heat. 

Screenshot_20230423-054129_Drive.jpg

you paid less than $10k for your system?

15 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

you paid less than $10k for your system?

Yes. Closer to $8500. Its a 5.4 kw system so not huge.  When I installed 8 years ago CT had an 80 cent watt upfront incentive. So I got like almost 4k from the state of CT's energy efficiency program. I also got a 30% federal tax credit. Was literally the best investment I ever made. My panels will produce like $2500+ in free electricity this year. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

@Damage In Tolland will be excited to hear that I switched to AC 3 weeks ago. Of course when I'm sleeping during the day on mids and the door is closed my room always sneaks up into the 73/74 degree range because we have so much southern exposure. But I shut all the other heat pumps off and switch mine to cooling. 

Yup.. most folks have been installed and AC for over a month now. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 2