• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

Idly websurfing and came across this site: https://adventuregearinsider.com/snow-gods-and-goddesses-of-winter/

Ullr (who is already known to AMWX, particularly the NE forum, where sacrifices have already been suggested).

"A product of Norse mythology, Ullr is known as the God of Snow, Patron Saint of Skiers, the son of Sif and stepson of Thor, the God of Thunder. Cold-loving, bow-wielding Ullr (pronounced Oool-er) is said to be an expert skater, skier and hunter who would glide around the world and cover the land with snow."

Khione

Khione or Chione was the daughter of Boreas (the god of the north wind) and Oreithyia, the lady of mountain gales. Not much is said of Khione except that she was one of the consorts or mistresses of Poseidon. She lives a lonely life in the mountain tops and has been known to turn people into ice sculptures from time to time. Definitely not a god you want to anger while out on the slopes.

From the Orthodox tradition, a patron saint:

"Tradition states, the day of St. Dimitar feast (Oct. 26) is said to be the day when the weather breaks and winter begins. According to traditional belief on this day the skies open up, after which we can expect the first snow. Dimitar is the patron saint of winter, cold and snow."

However, as you can imagine, there are more saints to pray to for deliverance from winter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.5c72323c4aab4034c3b6640de6c885a5.jpeg

21 minutes ago, SRRTA22 said:

Happy New years!! Crazy how I basically grew up with you guys from eastern and tristate in 2003 , now it's 2024. Love y'all crazy mfs! Till many more 

We must always remember what we have because we may never forget what we’ve lost. Happy New Year everyone, as always ….

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Explains the panicked explosion 911 calls from roosevelt island and LI city. 

I’m at work in Manhattan but I can’t imagine shit shook any harder than when a garbage truck rolls by. 

Some NYC residents saw the 12z GEFS and what it portends:

image.png.1b74d56756c502ad035a6bdecc837881.png

They reacted strongly. The result:

Notification issued 01-02-2024 at 11:26 AM.

The United States Geological Survey (USGS) reports that a 1.7 magnitude earthquake has occurred near Astoria, Queens. The earthquake has reportedly been felt in the New York City area, but there are no reports of injuries or damage in New York City at this time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Nibor said:

Any variation of “will be telling” should be a ban-able phrase. 

Everyone who cancelled the storm and is still posting in the storm thread is probably going bye bye regardless of the outcome. 

Snow in these parts is a miracle, when it occurs.  It takes water vapor, cold air, and luck.  This coming weekend, we will have moisture, but marginal cold air.  I don't remember who posted, but they pointed out that the high pressure in the Atlantic reached all the way down to the Carribean.  I never noticed the effect this had on temperatures during a potential snow event, but all information is vital since the models are not that accurate 4-7 days out.  My feeling is that with a marginal cold air source, at best, NYC will likely break the "snow drought" streak, but only receive 1-2" of a slushy accumulation before a changeover.  However, I defer to the active professional forecasters on this site.  A perfect track and intensity could surprise us all.  

image.thumb.jpeg.86f153fc382cd189ccf4e992869a45f5.jpeg 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dark Star said:

Snow in these parts is a miracle, when it occurs.  It takes water vapor, cold air, and luck.  This coming weekend, we will have moisture, but marginal cold air.  I don't remember who posted, but they pointed out that the high pressure in the Atlantic reached all the way down to the Carribean.  I never noticed the effect this had on temperatures during a potential snow event, but all information is vital since the models are not that accurate 4-7 days out.  My feeling is that with a marginal cold air source, at best, NYC will likely break the "snow drought" streak, but only receive 1-2" of a slushy accumulation before a changeover.  However, I defer to the active professional forecasters on this site.  A perfect track and intensity could surprise us all.  

image.thumb.jpeg.86f153fc382cd189ccf4e992869a45f5.jpeg 

It's quite possible the snowless streak will not be broken.

We need 1.0" in one calendar day and it might be possible, or even likely, that does not happen.