Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

22 hours ago, snowman19 said:

IMO the very high solar flux is going to be the elephant in the room this upcoming winter. It is going to be a big player just like the 2001 solar flux was

That was the torch of all torches.   Almost no precip either...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

He's only predicted a warm winter once that I can remember-sometime in the early 2000's (he was right too).   He's been god awful since 2015 which was really our last cold winter.  His cold bias gets in the way.  Not sure anyone really takes him seriously anymore-he's had to have lost ALOT of clients after the last few years and then his wonky political stuff too lol...    He'll probably be right on the hyperactive Atlantic season although the verdict is out as to whether it's a recurve season or coastal strike season.

No doubt in my mind that he’s going for a huge cold and snowy east coast winter this year. That’s the reason why he’s hyping a La Niña with a hyper active recurving Atlantic hurricane season and a +PDO. He’s looking for any excuse to say 1995-1996 and 2010-2011 are analogs (if the PDO doesn’t work out, he will say the +QBO matches 2010). His entire existence depends on the east coast weenies forking him over subscription money and giving him likes, follows and retweets on X

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

No doubt in my mind that he’s going for a huge cold and snowy east coast winter this year. That’s the reason why he’s hyping a La Niña with a hyper active recurving Atlantic hurricane season and a +PDO. He’s looking for any excuse to say 1995-1996 and 2010-2011 are analogs (if the PDO doesn’t work out, he will say the +QBO matches 2010). His entire existence depends on the east coast weenies forking him over subscription money and giving him likes, follows and retweets on X

At some point that will decline-I've notice some of his most ardent followers on other boards have started to jump ship...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

That was the torch of all torches.   Almost no precip either...

As @GaWx pointed out, we have only had 6 -NAO winters since 1979-1980. Literally ALL of those 6 occurred during solar minimums with a very low number of sunspots and low geomag activity. We have the complete 180 degree opposite of that right now with the solar max/high solar flux/high geomag cycle. Given this fact, predict a -NAO winter at your own risk 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

As @GaWx pointed out, we have only had 6 -NAO winters since 1979-1980. Literally ALL of those 6 occurred during solar minimums with a very low number of sunspots and low geomag activity. We have the complete 180 degree opposite of that right now with the solar max/high solar flux/high geomag cycle. Given this fact, predict a -NAO winter at your own risk 

Instead the -NAO are happening in April and May lol.

I didn't know how much fun watching sunspots could be.  The trio of sunspots I photographed near the "top" of the sun have now moved to the middle of the sun.  They moved this much in just a week or 10 days.

34 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I didn't know how much fun watching sunspots could be.  The trio of sunspots I photographed near the "top" of the sun have now moved to the middle of the sun.  They moved this much in just a week or 10 days.

You are going to make me break out my solar binoculars I got for the eclipse. It was amazing seeing the sunspot then. I was able to have my nephew see it prior to eclipse and he wanted to see after it was over as well. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

You are going to make me break out my solar binoculars I got for the eclipse. It was amazing seeing the sunspot then. I was able to have my nephew see it prior to eclipse and he wanted to see after it was over as well. 

I enjoy it more than looking at the craters on the moon because the craters don't move!  It's fun discovering new sunspots too, the sun is full of surprises my friend!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

And even more so during summer (on average) since 2007. During these last 17 summers, 12 (71%) have averaged sub -0.25 NAO (my threshold for -NAO vs neutral) vs only 3 (18%) with a +0.25+ (+NAO), meaning a 4:1 ratio! Compare that to summers 1950-2006, which had a much more balanced 33% sub -0.25 NAO and 32% +0.25+ (~1:1 ratio).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

it's a gimmick now, mostly for gardeners and travel.  They should rename it to The Recreational Channel.

Makes sense-there's so many other sources for weather now.   They had a monopoly from 1980-2000

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Volcanic Winter said:

TWC was my childhood. I was a kid in its heyday. Honestly I probably credit it partially with my intense passion for earth science. 

Me too.   I remember hearing about a channel that was about to be launched that was all weather all the time.  I could hardly contain myself!    I literally knew the lineup and when to tune in-5 day planner at .20, tropical update at .50 etc.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

It was between TWC and AM Weather on PBS/Ch21 here.  Before I had cable, I used to watch AM Weather during the 90s.

Am Weather sounds familiar, but can't remember a thing about it?  Comcast in Union County NJ removed the full time weather/radar about 10 years ago.  Maybe with everyone owning a smart phone, it was no longer really necessary?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

It was between TWC and AM Weather on PBS/Ch21 here.  Before I had cable, I used to watch AM Weather during the 90s.

Is that what is was called? Was that on in the early 80s too? I remember watching some early morning weather show not on a major network. My first distinct memories of this are from April 1982.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Is that what is was called? Was that on in the early 80s too? I remember watching some early morning weather show not on a major network. My first distinct memories of this are from April 1982.  

Yep, and they gave flight info and it's the first time I ever heard of these terms!  It was only on for 15 minutes a day in the 80s and 90s at 7:15 AM but I loved watching it and I remember looking at their forecast snow maps-- they were usually first onto a potential threat before the local news stations got it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Am Weather sounds familiar, but can't remember a thing about it?  Comcast in Union County NJ removed the full time weather/radar about 10 years ago.  Maybe with everyone owning a smart phone, it was no longer really necessary?

10 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

18 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Found it!

It was on until 1995-- ended just before the historic 1995-96 snowfall season (but at least it was here for 1993-94 when I remember watching it almost every morning!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.M._Weather

A.M. Weather[1] was an American weather news program that ran from October 30, 1978 to February 3, 1995. and was broadcast on PBS member stations throughout the United States. The 15-minute daily program, which aired fifteen minutes before or after the hour (depending on the station's scheduling of the program) and was produced by Maryland Public Television (MPT, or before 1984 the Maryland Center for Public Broadcasting), featured detailed forecasts presented by meteorologists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

While many other media outlets embraced computer weather maps and graphics in the 1980s for weather forecasting use, A.M. Weather held back on fully embracing computer graphics until 1991, although the program did adapt to such graphics for satellite and radar maps in the late 1980s. The show's trademark yellow pointer was a mainstay of the program entire run.

Overview[edit]

The show's progression usually started with a satellite and radar segment, followed by the current conditions around the U.S. (vice versa in early years), then the forecast (especially in terms of temperatures and precipitation), followed by an aviation forecast (locations of MVFR and IFR, aircraft icing, turbulence and winds aloft) and ended (when necessary) with an inclement weather report, called "WeatherWatch" (the only time that the yellow pointer was not used).

The program aired its final edition on February 3, 1995; one of the reasons behind A.M. Weather's cancellation was that MPT wanted to expand on its morning business news enterprise with Bloomberg L.P.

Hosts included NOAA meteorologists Carl Weiss, Joan von Ahn and Wayne Winston, as well as H. Michael Mogil, Rich Warren, Dale Bryan and Barry Richwein. Other notable substitute hosts included: Regis Walter, Steve Zubrick (now the president of the National Weather Association), Gary Petti (a meteorologist with National Weather Service and National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service (NESDIS), now retired), and George Lessens (now the chief meteorologist at WZZM in Grand Rapids, Michigan).

• Thanks 1