• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Currently monitoring guidance for March late 3rd through the 4th for the next ( beyond the 28th) significant event

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We go through this every March with needing to remind people that it can snow, despite warming to 47 degrees under early October sun. Think of it as the inverse of RAD cooling...if that is "fake" cold, then this is fake warmth.

Yep. And this thump is at night time so I’m not worried about insolation eating away at accumulations. That really wouldn’t matter anyway in heavy rates…but it might in something just a little more marginal like 3/4 to 1/2 mile vis type snow. 

If the thump ends up being most 1 mile vis light snow, then it wasn’t worth getting stressed out about anyway. You cost yourself like an inch of snow. The faux sfc layer isn’t going to be the difference between 6” and 2” tonight. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

Well we do have a little bit of DP to work with as it is currently 19 here, so if we can shed a few degrees before the precipitation starts, we might have a window to see some wintry stuff.

probably best this is happening overnight, honestly if it was during the day it'd probably be rain, only good thing I see until this starts to wrap around close, by that time though I think it's too far east, hopefully I'm wrong.

Speaking for south/eastern sections - 

The warmer than guidance temps were interesting to me because winds become easterly tonight, overcast rolls in. It's not a good wet bulbing setup. Temps will be stubborn to fall, and dews will rise ahead of the precip. We're also seeing more sun than guidance advertised.

Add warmer ground, less snow pack. All these little things matter at the margin. Again, it will snow, but how much stacks is the real outcome we're interested in. 32 vs 33 matters A LOT if it endures.

Of course, you interior guys in CNE/NNE can continue to not GAF about this. 

24 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We go through this every March with needing to remind people that it can snow, despite warming to 47 degrees under early October sun. Think of it as the inverse of RAD cooling...if that is "fake" cold, then this is fake warmth.

Just look at Denver. How often do you see them sometimes 70-80+ the day before snow and they'll still get a foot lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Logan will probably hover near 33-34 for a large part. If it comes down good, they'll be just below 33.

I’m gonna have to spring for a legit wx station.   The only thing I feel accurate about is snow accumulation which is manual for everyone.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

This thing could be a mini 2/2/15 if we were a few degrees cooler. 

Very similar tracks actually. Primary went into about CLE/ERI in that one and the secondary popped just quick enough to turn a 6-10” event into a 12-18” event. Yeah…too bad we didn’t have a real airmass like that one did. :lol: