Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 28th-March 1st long duration Miller B threat

George001

40 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

...I’ll add that it’s still possible we see some bigger totals. That trailing shortwave was close on some of the 12z runs today so far. 

The NAO is a fickle index, too.  It's like the last remaining frontier for discovery in how the f to figure what the f it's doing next.  The best laid plans and most brilliant crafted insights are at times sorely just like ...ignored LOL, and some other shit happens.  

The reason for this - I know you didn't ask for this ... I'm just sayn' - is because the NAO happens by way of the "non -linear wave function" down stream of the Pacific N/A pattern. 

What that means is simpler than it sounds.  One may typically think A--> B--> C--> as the cause and effect chain of events.  And they are right, for linear wave function relationships.  NON linear is when A--> B has an effect on D ... but not C in between.  

A similar/analog to help visualize this is in the open sea: rogue wave phenomenon.  A sea surface with an apparent orderly 20' swell may suddenly lurch up a 70' monster wave, and the surrounding 20' wave's are reduced in height temporarily while the energy of the monster exhausts.  Crude model..

image.png.c59f4b59a0f5c99d10cbef3554b7949d.png

Most of what happens in the atmosphere is both linear and non-linear wave mechanics happening simultaneously in perpetuity... and they are emergent properties out in time, too - which means fractals... and good luck. 

This is why NAOs demonstrate the stochastic behavior they do... More so than other indexes, that one has a greater non-linearity just by circumstance of where the domain is situated down stream of all that's great and wonderful about our planetary atmospheric system. 

Having said all this... 

It's not impossible that its exertion next week is not handled as well as it looks in the guidance from still 5 days away. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Turned out to be a great run even outside of Pike region. A little reliant on norlun type snows out here but sign me up for 8-12”.

Sure did....at this point just happy being where we are at this point. This entire winter would have had this even disappear or turn into a straight rainer by now. At 4 inches all season, even a 4-8 inch storm would be great. Still around 4 days to go, would feel worse being in the bullseye.

2 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Wiz sees both sides of the proverbial coin. He does an excellent job of giving his thoughts on potential weather events. He should have his own Twitch channel so we can all tune in!

ehhh I'm not that good with winter weather, but I try to look at it from an objective side and not let one or two products influence my thinking. 

1 minute ago, Torch Tiger said:

I wouldn't rule it out at all, if the 1.5" + qpf amounts and stubborn ivt idea is correct.

Yeah it’s definitely possible some places score huge totals in this but it requires many things to go right. So obviously one shouldn’t *expect* it. 

All model guidance has the initial thump…that’s gonna produce low end warning totals on its own most likely. 5-8/6-10 type stuff. Now if we’re trying to go 12-18, that requires a bit of extra forcing from IVT or CCB…the two kind of smear together eventually in the euro but most guidance has at least a semblance of CCB snow…esp up in MA. So there’s a reason to think at least some areas are going to get double digits…where that is widespread or not remains to be seen but it’s certainly on the table. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

My guess is many were secretly starting to get attached to the thought of a 20-burger storm after yesterday’s Euro and all other guidance had been trending better too. The natural inclination is to sort of expect it to keep trending better so when it reverts back to a more “mundane” 8-12 inch type event, it produces a sense of disappointment. 

It’s hard not to get attached to big solutions…esp when it comes from the Euro inside of 6 days. 

I’ll add that it’s still possible we see some bigger totals. That trailing shortwave was close on some of the 12z runs today so far. 

Rock n roll Kuchie Koo

index (31).png

• Like 3

Just now, Sey-Mour Snow said:

we are in the worst spot in the forum for this one.. sucks need some more NAO help

The initial thump turned to IP was good and then the backside norlun type snows was nice. Some messy mix in between probably cut it back some but it ended up fine. I hate to rely on backside fanny snows but we’ll cross that bridge in 2-3 days.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The initial thump turned to IP was good and then the backside norlun type snows was nice. Some messy mix in between probably cut it back some but it ended up fine. I hate to rely on backside fanny snows but we’ll cross that bridge in 2-3 days.

ya I agree, would like to get those funky warm layers well SW of us... I'll take a 4-8" thump then some IVT Tuesday all day though.. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

What I hate about this is the flow is so fast and as the shortwave flies across the country it opens up, flattens out, and the main low rapidly occludes. Of course the other issue is the models have been rather horrific lately with the evolution of the pattern into the medium range and the synoptic details so it's been increasingly difficult to take any merit looking a few days out. My initial thinking is the best best for heavy widespread precipitation will be with the front end with strong WAA and everything after that is just shredded crap. Relying on something like an IVT or hoping for the secondary to pop exactly where we want/need it is like trying to connect a hail mary from your own 30 with below-average arm strength. We've seen this modeled setup several times over the past few years.

Be honest, what you hate most is that you missed out on that EF2 in Jersey the other day. 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Is this even remotely true from Stein? I have never heard anything like this Steinsense 

there would be no possible way to analyze that, too many variables

43 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

That is absolutely true.  That is a well known fact.  

link?

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it’s definitely possible some places score huge totals in this but it requires many things to go right. So obviously one shouldn’t *expect* it. 

All model guidance has the initial thump…that’s gonna produce low end warning totals on its own most likely. 5-8/6-10 type stuff. Now if we’re trying to go 12-18, that requires a bit of extra forcing from IVT or CCB…the two kind of smear together eventually in the euro but most guidance has at least a semblance of CCB snow…esp up in MA. So there’s a reason to think at least some areas are going to get double digits…where that is widespread or not remains to be seen but it’s certainly on the table. 

There are many unknowns of course, but we often see much higher totals that are sort of "unexpected in that D3-5 range.  can't expect great ratios but even 12:1 or 15:1 isn't impossible especially if PM/night Tuesday into Wednesday with the ivt, again if that pans out.

• Like 1

Cut that Kuchera map down by at least half, front end is going to be paste. Back end, sure, you'd see 12-15:1 ratios most likely. Even though it's a very nice run for the Pike region, I don't think it does much to quell concerns: you get a quick front end thump and then you're banking on fickle IVT snows from a late developing coastal. Flow is still very progressive. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Wiz sees both sides of the proverbial coin. He does an excellent job of giving his thoughts on potential weather events. He should have his own Twitch channel so we can all tune in!

How come you measure an inch more than Ray in every storm. Do you use the Zonties ruler? Slant sticking since 1717?

8 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

ya I agree, would like to get those funky warm layers well SW of us... I'll take a 4-8" thump then some IVT Tuesday all day though.. 

108hr is -5c at 925, 27F at surface so there must be funky warmth in there somewhere if we’re IP. I’m getting ahead of myself micro analyzing it though so you’re right…let’s get the blocking to keep trending or hold serve first until we are inside D3.

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

108hr is -5c at 925, 27F at surface so there must be funky warmth in there somewhere if we’re IP. I’m getting ahead of myself micro analyzing it though so you’re right…let’s get the blocking to keep trending or hold serve first until we we are inside D3.

Ya I already looked it’s between 750-800

116A0F5E-BDEA-4594-BB1B-50CD8676C112.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Be honest, what you hate most is that you missed out on that EF2 in Jersey the other day. 

:lol:

It was a pretty interesting setup when looking at the models the day before. I wasn't thinking tornado, but thought damaging wind gusts/hail would be possible. Dynamics were quite strong with very steep lapse rates.

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Anytime Wiz is a downer in a big storm go oppo. He pumps the crap and downs the great setups.

Not totally true, but that did happen two winters ago. 

2 minutes ago, Winter Wizard said:

Cut that Kuchera map down by at least half, front end is going to be paste. Even though it's a very nice run for the Pike region, I don't think it does much to quell concerns: you get a quick front end thump and then you're banking on fickle IVT snows from a late developing coastal. Flow is still very progressive. 

Coastal.is developing at 989 off Delaware, late? That's classic here

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

:lol:

It was a pretty interesting setup when looking at the models the day before. I wasn't thinking tornado, but thought damaging wind gusts/hail would be possible. Dynamics were quite strong with very steep lapse rates.

Not totally true, but that did happen two winters ago. 

Just busting but dig a little deeper and tell me the synoptic setup doesn't produce plow able from CT to NH