Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Feb 28th-March 1st long duration Miller B threat

George001

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

However, snow can still conduct cold through it. If ponds get an inch of ice on them in December and then a half a foot of snow,  it doesn’t mean they will only have an inch of ice on them until the snow melts and we get more cold.

That were the case even NNE would have some terrible ice fishing season.

Take today for example.  Normally my driveway and walkway would be iced over but because there isn't any frost in the ground both are ice free.  The car was completely covered in ice.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I can’t believe what I’m reading. Blue hair, cancelling everything, and mehing a foot of snow. This group of people. 

Boomers grew up thinking -6 monthly departures and well above normal snows were long term climo.  Millennials grew up thinking 20-burger storms grew on trees. 

Our cynical generation knows better. :lol:

• Like 3

What I hate about this is the flow is so fast and as the shortwave flies across the country it opens up, flattens out, and the main low rapidly occludes. Of course the other issue is the models have been rather horrific lately with the evolution of the pattern into the medium range and the synoptic details so it's been increasingly difficult to take any merit looking a few days out. My initial thinking is the best best for heavy widespread precipitation will be with the front end with strong WAA and everything after that is just shredded crap. Relying on something like an IVT or hoping for the secondary to pop exactly where we want/need it is like trying to connect a hail mary from your own 30 with below-average arm strength. We've seen this modeled setup several times over the past few years.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Boomers grew up thinking -6 monthly departures and well above normal snows were long term climo.  Millennials grew up thinking 20-burger storms grew on trees. 

Our cynical generation knows better. :lol:

And the Pats win super bowls every year as well as the Sox the WS.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

What I hate about this is the flow is so fast and as the shortwave flies across the country it opens up, flattens out, and the main low rapidly occludes. Of course the other issue is the models have been rather horrific lately with the evolution of the pattern into the medium range and the synoptic details so it's been increasingly difficult to take any merit looking a few days out. My initial thinking is the best best for heavy widespread precipitation will be with the front end with strong WAA and everything after that is just shredded crap. Relying on something like an IVT or hoping for the secondary to pop exactly where we want/need it is like trying to connect a hail mary from your own 30 with below-average arm strength. We've seen this modeled setup several times over the past few years.

Agree

10 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Take today for example.  Normally my driveway and walkway would be iced over but because there isn't any frost in the ground both are ice free.  The car was completely covered in ice.

Thats because metal conducts more quickly than ground. Happens quite often my car has a glaze but nothing on the ground.