Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 28th-March 1st long duration Miller B threat

George001

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

They are scared of the primary and most of those posts are out of area. I can think of many good snows with a dying primary the Lakes. Shit 1888 had a 1004 over Lake Superior. As long as confluence continues and the best model show a storm I am all in.

Not really out of the area, most CT peeps are a bit concerned 

1 minute ago, UnitedWx said:

Me either. Some are so butt hurt with this season that irrationality abounds

My guess is many were secretly starting to get attached to the thought of a 20-burger storm after yesterday’s Euro and all other guidance had been trending better too. The natural inclination is to sort of expect it to keep trending better so when it reverts back to a more “mundane” 8-12 inch type event, it produces a sense of disappointment. 

It’s hard not to get attached to big solutions…esp when it comes from the Euro inside of 6 days. 

I’ll add that it’s still possible we see some bigger totals. That trailing shortwave was close on some of the 12z runs today so far. 

• Like 3

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

My guess is many were secretly starting to get attached to the thought of a 20-burger storm after yesterday’s Euro and all other guidance had been trending better too. The natural inclination is to sort of expect it to keep trending better so when it reverts back to a more “mundane” 8-12 inch type event, it produces a sense of disappointment. 

It’s hard not to get attached to big solutions…esp when it comes from the Euro inside of 6 days. 

I’ll add that it’s still possible we see some bigger totals. That trailing shortwave was close on some of the 12z runs today so far. 

Somehow we went from futility, and begging for snow,

... to disappointment, and worry about not seeing 20“.

I wonder if this comes back to being generally spoiled over past years? 

But how easily we forget how good 6-12" would be, specifically after this horrid winter. 

Plowable snow odds have only increased in the past 24 hours, let's focus on that. 

I see a lot of use of words like worry.. Why worry? Seriously. Nothing is gonna change what's coming. Don't stress yourself out over something you have zero control over. Just saying-off soapbox. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's a shame what some of these products do within the field. Model snowfall maps with winter weather and supercell composite/significant tornado parameter and that ridiculous AI CIPS or whatever it is. Even if these products have value (which they do) they're used so irresponsibly that every single "event" that pops up on guidance, whether it be some severe threat in the Plains or winter event in the Northeast gets totally blown out of proportion. 

I don't think it will matter much with melting. It's not like the soil is 45F vs 30F. When it starts melting it's ice water anyway and the surface hangs around in the low/mid 30s depending on solar. My 4" and 8" soil hasn't been below 33F all season and it still takes forever to melt.

Insolation and temps/dews determine most of the melting. 45F and March sun don't care how deeply cold your ground is.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

That is absolutely true.  That is a well known fact.  

However, snow can still conduct cold through it. If ponds get an inch of ice on them in December and then several inches of snow,  it doesn’t mean they will only have an inch of ice on them until the snow melts and we get more cold.

That were the case even NNE would have some terrible ice fishing season.

• Like 1