• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late February will be rocking. February Long range Discussion thread

Ji

I do want to say good job GFS not showing long range snowstorms, for many Winter's now, in verification. It was not like that in the early 2000s. 

-PNA signal in February is a reverse-ENSO historically by May-August that year(higher developing El Nino tendency). Correlation is 0.4 to a +NAO April (-PNA February, which should be top 15 all time this year). 0.3 correlation to -PNA March. 

There are signs of a -NAO/-AO developing in the first week of March on LR models, with a +120dm anomaly over the arctic circle at 384hr on the 18z GEFS. I think initially we will even out the cold signal with -PNA/+EPO-even, but watch to around March 7/8-18 for a possible window,bridge between the Pacific/Atlantic. (10mb warmings don't always downwell to -NAO+time, but about 70% of the time they do.) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

There are signs of a -NAO/-AO developing in the first week of March on LR models, with a +120dm anomaly over the arctic circle at 384hr on the 18z GEFS. I think initially we will even out the cold signal with -PNA/+EPO-even, but watch to around March 7/8-18 for a possible window,bridge between the Pacific/Atlantic. (10mb warmings don't always downwell to -NAO+time, but about 70% of the time they do.) 

70% of the time…it works every time 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

70% of the time…it works every time 

I'm doing more research on this "when the NAO/AO go negative in the first week of March, the PNA and EPO will flux (- and +)". On 3-1, where the current D15 ensemble mean model shows a +300dm -PNA (strong signal), in the last 3 years we had a strong PNA signal on this date 3/3 times (0/7 years previous). 

-minus 2022

+plus 2021

+plus 2020

This is what they looked like 3.9-12

compday.SmfgOgc7lH.gif.e255d852a828c33d02ca39f8656c2b37.gif

• Thanks 1

Is that actually happening now?

It appears it’s happening. The problem is, we have no clue how it’ll impact us, and models will likely be even more volatile than usual as they try to figure it out over the next week or so. Have a feeling models are going to be all over the place. Hopefully this SWW does what we need it to and doesn’t fail in disrupting the PV.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, jayyy said:

It appears it’s happening. The problem is, we have no clue how it’ll impact us, and models will likely be even more volatile than usual as they try to figure it out over the next week or so. Have a feeling models are going to be all over the place. Hopefully this SWW does what we need it to and doesn’t fail in disrupting the PV.

So I gather that SSW effects (and the timing of them) widely vary and are usually difficult to predict?

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic