• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

67 here currently. 
I could appreciate this if we at least had a quasi normal winter, but given this is occurring during one of the warmest winters ever with almost zero snowfall, I’m actually fairly disgusted by it. 
By all means, enjoy it guys. Someone should, right? I mean other than all the bugs I see just having a grand old time. 

Excellent point. This is *almost* normal here in winters where we have snow and cold. We almost always have spring-like days, especially in February.

Today gave me distinct February 1990 vibes, for those old enough to remember.

giphy.gif

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

If we're gonna have a warm pattern with no hope of snow, we might as well have some blowtorch days like today. Absolutely beautiful. I love that I can go running outside this afternoon with just a t-shirt on. 

GFS and Euro have rain for next week. Anytime the models show a little hope for the medium range, it quickly falls apart. Just the same thing over and over again this winter. We might go the whole winter without 1 snow event. 

But having said that, it obviously is extremely difficult to go the whole winter without 1 snow event. Even in the warmest winters we usually get something. You'd think we'd pull off something just on freak luck at some point, so it wouldn't be surprising if we see an event at the end of the month or in March. I hope we can at least pull off 1 decent snow event. As much as I love this warm weather, I still want to see some snow. 

warm and sunny and dry is way better than mild and rain and humid, the last thing I need is more mold

34 minutes ago, North and West said:

Excellent point. This is *almost* normal here in winters where we have snow and cold. We almost always have spring-like days, especially in February.

giphy.gif

Love that clip!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, North and West said:

giphy.gif

Most definitely, I was on the 89-90 train as soon as late December didn't work out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, North and West said:

giphy.gif

Ha 100%. I think the young ones are getting exposure to what we experienced in the early 90s!

Only way this would be nicer is if it was the weekend.

• Like 2

Before the rains come  Friday it will be  20 degrees AN.        The only day with even a 1 degree BN at 100% is the 18th.         This winter is in the Drier and set for  BURN IT.

JB has been finding analogs that match for this entire winter and has had the cold returning from about Jan. 10--- in other words 5 weeks ago.      Now he swears he sees his father walking home in the snow to his house and its April '56 and he is only nine months old and it is going to happen again, with or without dad.

1676646000-oiSq2EWWk5Y.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

I suspect that we'll still see some cold and snowy winters. However, they will become less frequent in the future.

Yeah I'm sure but the warm winters are definitely creating a feedback loop that only reinforces warm/less snowy winters. 

Hopefully we haven't hit some runaway cycle yet though I'm sure we will soon

• Like 1

The 18Z GFS fwiw has a -NAO that gets started ~2/26, becomes quite strong the next day, and stays strong through 3/3. One calculation of the NAO is based on the normalized SLP anomaly for a location in the Azores less the same for a location in Iceland.

The normal Azores SLP this time of year is ~1020 mb while it is ~1005 in Iceland. So, the Azores SLP averages 15 mb higher than that of Iceland in Feb. But for the period 2/27-3/3, the 18Z GFS has the Azores at only ~1015 (~1/2 SD BN) and Iceland way up at ~1037 (~2 SD AN). So, Iceland is forecasted by this run for this 5 day period to be at a whopping 22 higher than the Azores vs the norm of 15 lower. That is a very strong -NAO, likely way up near -2.5 per this SLP based method.

The point of this post is to show that some runs are showing a very strong -NAO already starting near the end of Feb. The 18z GFS is likely way overdone, but it gives an idea of the potential. I expect the 0Z GFS won't be nearly as strong.

Edit for 0Z GFS: For the same period, this run looks like it has a pretty neutral NAO with averaged Azores SLP a bit higher than Iceland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Morning thoughts…

Today will be partly to mostly cloudy and unseasonably warm. Showers and thundershowers are possible. High temperatures will reach the lower and middle 60s in most areas. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 64°

Newark: 66°

Philadelphia: 65°

Cooler air will begin to arrive late tomorrow.

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 42.3°; 15-Year: 42.4°

Newark: 30-Year: 43.2°; 15-Year: 43.3°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 44.5°; 15-Year: 44.3°

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2