• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It's scary how easily we're putting up 60+ temps in February. 

That's like seeing multiple 90s by mid April. 

I would welcome 90s in April as our springs recently have been horrific.

We hit 80s or 90s a couple days in April in 2008. I remember I bought my first house that year and was painting the inside with the AC on. Was crazy.

5 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

I disagree 

Disagree with what part? The whole west is not absolutely banking in on the snow. Vail has 247 inches so far. Their average for a season is 242. It isn't THAT incredible of a season for much of the Rocky Mountains. It is in some areas those and definitely in California, Oregon, etc. 

9 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Disagree with what part? The whole west is not absolutely banking in on the snow. Vail has 247 inches so far. Their average for a season is 242. It isn't THAT incredible of a season for much of the Rocky Mountains. It is in some areas those and definitely in California, Oregon, etc. 

I disagree that CC has dramatically affected our year. It's a steady progression. 01/02 roasted and we may or may not break that winters temp profile. 

The fact is the deep trough out west is causing this year to be very warm. Are we a couple degrees warmer that 1980 sure. However I do not believe we hit a wall in 2019 where now we roast and this is now "normal".

The center of the trough has been MAINLY west of there with mostly a SW to NE orientation. 

image.thumb.png.a06148a81d4009d4663c5ba810c0086e.png

• Like 3

15 hours ago, tmagan said:

Something I saw recently caught my attention, Central Park's highest low temperature ever was on July 2, 1903 at 87 degrees. The high that day was 91 degrees. There was 0.53" of rain that day. I do not believe hourly data was available back then. It seems almost inconceivable that there could be over a half inch of rain in a day (not necessarily all at once) and not have the low temperature fall below 87 degrees. 

I had a look at this situation. Apparently the 87 degree low was the overnight low for July 1-2, as the daily minimum for July 2 was 79. The max and rainfall you mention match what I have in the NYC data base. That does not really change the essence of your question about how a night's low could be 87. The weather map available in the archives (NOAA on wetterzentrale.de) shows a typical quasi-stationary front between two lows over MN and eastern Canada, probably located just north of NYC overnight 1-2, with thunderstorms probably rolling along that front. If any other data exists for the time, it would be interesting to see other regional rainfalls. My guess is that the storms stopped during the morning, after rumbling away from after midnight, which is why it stayed that warm all night, maybe July 1st had been quite a hot day in n NJ and e PA (NYC max had been 92F) and the heated air was kept in motion all night in southwest winds associated with the front and storm cells, dew points might not have been excessive, maybe 75-80? Then without much of a frontal passage after the storms moved on, the mid-day high was 91 and it cooled to 79 for the daily low, either in a storm cell after the overnight low was recorded, or perhaps by midnight. That fits the reported values for July 3, 1903 which I see as max 83, min 74. Sounds like a day between fronts with a sea breeze and clouds around. The frontal trough settled to the south and began to return north later (July 3 has a small rainfall amount of .08").

The actual highest daily minimum for NYC is 84F which has been recorded on four different dates, two in 1908 (July 7, Aug 14) and others more recently including 1995 (July 16) and 2011 (July 22). 

There had been a lot of very cool and sometimes wet weather in June 1903 and it only began to warm up on June 30th (81F) with fronts often near NYC, a record rainfall was recorded on June 29th (2.57") along with a record low max of 65F. Another 0.28" rain fell on June 30, probably the tail end of the previous day's downpour. 

I would suspect that the warm spell that followed was very humid especially on July 1st, so that might be a background to the situation producing the record high overnight low July 1-2. The eventual low of 79F for July 2, 1903 was not the daily record high minimum, that was 82F set in 1901 during a scorching heat wave with highs near 100F. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And now for something completely different lol.  As a complete rank amateur who lurks, I thought I would share this video which I just watched and thought was really excellent.  It might bore you weather experts but amateurs like me will find this easy to understand and generally enlightening.  It also provides a little contrast to the winter we are dealing with here in February 2023.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tmagan said:

An all-time snow season is probably out of reach, but they may have a top-five all time snow year. By the way, you might think they have had a brutally cold winter. Actually January mean temperatures were well above normal, and February as well, up to this point, has been well above normal.

Agree. It has been warm there but it doesn’t matter when you’re that far north. 19-25 is a huge winter storm for that area. Last I checked I believed msp had 50 for the winter? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wdrag said:

Just a little patience for all of us...  yes its hard to believe it will be 60F here in Wantage NJ near 2P and possibly convective rain mixing with or changing to wet snow 15 hours later at 5A.   That's what I'll be looking for tomorrow morning if modeling continues similar on the 18z and 00z/21 cycles. 

Looks like I was right unfortunately. Seems RGEM has held steady while NAM has trended way north with accumulation for tomorrow.  

4 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

I disagree that CC has dramatically affected our year. It's a steady progression. 01/02 roasted and we may or may not break that winters temp profile. 

The fact is the deep trough out west is causing this year to be very warm. Are we a couple degrees warmer that 1980 sure. However I do not believe we hit a wall in 2019 where now we roast and this is now "normal".

The center of the trough has been MAINLY west of there with mostly a SW to NE orientation. 

image.thumb.png.a06148a81d4009d4663c5ba810c0086e.png

01/02 was also enhanced by climate change

that was one scary winter

the warmth rolled right into spring and summer

4 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

I would welcome 90s in April as our springs recently have been horrific.

We hit 80s or 90s a couple days in April in 2008. I remember I bought my first house that year and was painting the inside with the AC on. Was crazy.

April 2002 was one of my all time favorites

the bluest skies I've ever seen here with temps in the 90s for 3-4 days and low humidity

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

well that its --winter is over. It will be snowing around the SF Bay area this week. What a slap in the face.  Its snowed in Tuscon, Las Vegas and poor Minneapolis is getting 2-3 ft of snow this week, while we can even scrape up an inch f snow for an entire day. Pathetic

Well we just can”t stop this progression of every storm to the GL, which is frustrating. So it looks bleak. But I will keep following in case of a surprise storm. 

• Like 1

It is good that the west coast is benefiting from all this, they really needed it. 

Incredibly drought conditions could be reduced to nil in California when all is said and done which would've been unthinkable a few months ago. 

The downside is the growing drought in the plains, which is not good given that's our crop growth zone. We need big improvement there

• Like 1

This really should be in the March thread, but since that thread doesn't exist yet:

Check this out about the major SSW and how the Euro Weeklies and extended GEFS are now clearly suggesting that the E US will be significantly affected especially on and after March 10th:

https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/polar-vortex-sudden-stratospheric-warming-main-weather-impacts-united-states-canada-europe-forecast-fa/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

With all due respect, you are out of your mind. 

Sooo much better than yucky fog and rain and all the other stuff that makes me want to boil away the Atlantic Ocean lol

My dream is to see an April 1982 type blizzard in the first half of April and for the second half to be like April 2002 lol-- that would be my perfect month of weather....snow to summer.....summer to snow, the ideal year lol