joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

i agree with you. was just being sarcastic

good to see that typical response to blocking here and not that SE ridge crap

3A5495F6-F9A8-4D5A-A76E-85C49073D961.thumb.png.8b1ab115195f81ac19e479317281cd74.png

That is an absolutely orgasmic look if it works out like that....overunnig conveyor belt as is, and if you bear that ae ridge down just a whisker, it becomes a Miller B factory. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'd be careful with that interpretation if I were you...    I wrote about this in an earlier post, warning of that allusion to finally having the S-SE warm wall in abeyance but it would not in fact - or might not I should say... - actually be that way.  It's just compressed to where it looks like the right configuration.  But the large number of isohypsotic gradient and the associated base-line wind is a trade off between the ridge structure, replaced by velocity.   The ridge is conserved that way ...  It's insidiously hidden.  But it is an interference pattern.  I remember a -NAO like that in 2007 late Feb or early Mar..  ex Heh, near the end of Eastern's reign ...  There was all this excitement and optimism for the NAO arrival and it showed up ... all we got was 4 days of gusty gelid knuckle achin' cold winds

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That is an absolutely orgasmic look if it works out like that....overunnig conveyor belt as is, and if you bear that ae ridge down just a whisker, it becomes a Miller B factory. 

Agree, John...that is my interpretation. That is why I qualified my Miller B implication with the need to shave the ridge a bit. Conveyor of attenuating waves as is.

There’s def been a subtle trend colder in the lower levels for 2/23. Midlevels have been sort of static. Maybe a slight tick cooler as we’ve seen a little more snow/sleet solutions to start down here. 

Probably in terms of “high impact” threats, this one will have to be watched really closely for cold tuck in eastern zones. They don’t pan out all the time, but we’ve seen a couple or three in the last 5 or 6 years where it goes flash freeze…and there’s a risk in this one too. A place like BOS could get a couple inches of snow/sleet on the front end before 36F rain but then crash to 27F in a span of 1-2 hours…with precip not totally shut off yet. That’s dangerous…so even a 1 in 4 chance of that happening is worth watching. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

There’s def been a subtle trend colder in the lower levels for 2/23. Midlevels have been sort of static. Maybe a slight tick cooler as we’ve seen a little more snow/sleet solutions to start down here. 

Probably in terms of “high impact” threats, this one will have to be watched really closely for cold tuck in eastern zones. They don’t pan out all the time, but we’ve seen a couple or three in the last 5 or 6 years where it goes flash freeze…and there’s a risk in this one too. A place like BOS could get a couple inches of snow/sleet on the front end before 36F rain but then crash to 27F in a span of 1-2 hours…with precip not totally shut off yet. That’s dangerous…so even a 1 in 4 chance of that happening is worth watching. 

That's actually a great point, people will be caught off guard, what a nightmare if that were to happen, stay off the roads. If this trends that way, DOT/Public works etc should be ready, not a lagged response.

25 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Its close to a lock, You should survive though, Congrats.

We should enjoy. Might be a 7 to 10 day run, but I suppose it could be 3 to 4 weeks. I’d prefer the former and then spring but I don’t really have a say. The over under is the 25 inches in six days that we got in January. I think we do at least 30 in the stretch of 3 to 4 weeks. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

We should enjoy. Might be a 7 to 10 day run, but I suppose it could be 3 to 4 weeks. I’d prefer the former and then spring but I don’t really have a say. The over under is the 25 inches in six days that we got in January. I think we do at least 30 in the stretch of 3 to 4 weeks. 

That's quite possible 30" in 4 weeks, I don't think we will match that last streak in Jan though.

1 minute ago, Modfan2 said:

What streak, 6” of rain lol?! 

NNE had a nice series of storms during that stretch. Northern part of SNE cashed in a bit too. Down in the pike region we only got the 1/23 happy ending for anything shovelable (had 5.3” here)…but once you got into CT/RI there wasn’t much. Maybe a couple inches for some areas in that one and not much else. 

Don't mind some freezing rain but if the temps drop quickly it's going to be a shit show pretty much everywhere.  Salt in rain is pretty pointless but noway to salt everywhere at once.  Rather  something crawl up the coast  for 24 hours than a fast change over. Kitchen sink storms are a ball breakers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

NNE had a nice series of storms during that stretch. Northern part of SNE cashed in a bit too. Down in the pike region we only got the 1/23 happy ending for anything shovelable (had 5.3” here)…but once you got into CT/RI there wasn’t much. Maybe a couple inches for some areas in that one and not much else. 

Yeah, only kidding and complaining about the rain we got.