• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

Not sure if anyone caught this ...it's fairly tedious but I still paused when I saw the GFS, at this range of 138 hours ( 12z ), dropped Nashua's 2-meter temperature from 31  ... all the way to 19 F between 18z (1pm) and 00z ( 7pm) Thursday. 

That's a like tuck jet on steroids.   I bet that would whip flags and come in like a BD white noise.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not sure if anyone caught this ...it's fairly tedious but I still paused when I saw the GFS, at this range of 138 hours ( 12z ), dropped Nashua's 2-meter temperature from 31  ... all the way to 19 F between 18z (1pm) and 00z ( 7pm) Thursday. 

That's a like tuck jet on steroids.   I bet that would whip flags and come in like a BD white noise.  

You can picture hundreds.. potentially thousands of screen doors ripped right from hinges from NE to SW

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Not for us. Icestorm sure 

Kev' if you really are buckin' for an ice storm, you wanna probably halt the suppression in the models now.  

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up more snow down to the Pike to be totally honest.  It could.  Again, as I outlined the other day, the greatest sensitivity in where the conduit axis for this mess sets up is along the interface between two dominant forces:  -PNA/La Nina base;   PV anomaly in Canada. 

That hasn't changed,.. but there are very small incremental S adjustments going on with the wholesale PV position ...thus that axis goes with it.  That, and the fact the the models will not be able to likely resolve the BL cold by several tens of miles up to 100 or so, ...all told, you probably want this to stop now or we could milk sun and bitter cold PF to Dryslot, with snow ALB BOS and IP in NYC.   

Having said all that... PV repositions N by subtlety, this lifts back N summarily. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Kev' if you really are buckin' for an ice storm, you wanna probably halt the suppression in the models now.  

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up more snow down to the Pike to be totally honest.  It could.  Again, as I outlined the other day, the greatest sensitivity in where the conduit axis for this mess sets up is along the interface between two dominant forces:  -PNA/La Nina base;   PV anomaly in Canada. 

That hasn't changed,.. but there are very small incremental S adjustments going on with the wholesale PV position ...thus that axis goes with it.  That, and the fact the the models will not be able to likely resolve the BL cold by several tens of miles up to 100 or so, ...all told, you probably want this to stop now or we could milk sun and bitter cold PF to Dryslot, with snow ALB BOS and IP in NYC.   

Having said all that... PV repositions N by subtlety, this lifts back N summarily. 

I’m 17 miles south of 90 .. so anywhere 90 south is not getting any snow . What I am thinking is a few Inches of sleet from about ORH to Ray and south of there to about a DXR to HVN to NW RI then to north shore of BOS line mainly a zr deal .At least as of now . The extreme and record -PNA combined with that monster SE ridge will ensure there is not suppression next week and all of Morch 

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’m 17 miles south of 90 .. so anywhere 90 south is not getting any snow . What I am thinking is a few Inches of sleet from about ORH to Ray and south of there to about a DXR to HVN to NW RI then to north shore of BOS line mainly a zr deal .At least as of now . The extreme and record -PNA combined with that monster SE ridge will ensure there is not suppression next week and all of Morch 

The pattern does support a big ice storm

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Which wx would you most prefer?

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Which wx would you most prefer?

I honestly truly believe BDL, BDR are almost locked for record low snow year. I think ORH is 50/50. I can see that one going either way. I’d love a few big snowstorms .. I honestly don’t think the pattern will alllow it south of the MA/NH/ VT border this year . I know there’s a few posters here calling for big snows in Morch. I just don’t see that as even a small possibility. That doesn’t mean they’re wrong . I hope they crush it and I walk away with a Scarlett L on my forehead. To answer your question.. I covet a huge icestorm before my time on Earth is complete. So I would prefer that . Just as I want a cat 3 cane hit . I’m sure  neither will happen , but I’ll continue hoping 

• Confused 1

Biggest hinderance to a big ice storm is QPF. It’s not that much QPF in this system south of the main WAA fronto band which falls mostly in the form of snow/sleet. You’d also typically like to see the mesolow aspect tilted more NE to SW instead of E-W. The latter makes the ageo drain less efficient and slower. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I honestly truly believe BDL, BDR are almost locked for record low snow year. I think ORH is 50/50. I can see that one going either way. I’d love a few big snowstorms .. I honestly don’t think the pattern will alllow it south of the MA/NH/ VT border this year . I know there’s a few posters here calling for big snows in Morch. I just don’t see that as even a small possibility. That doesn’t mean they’re wrong . I hope they crush it and I walk away with a Scarlett L on my forehead. To answer your question.. I covet a huge icestorm before my time on Earth is complete. So I would prefer that . Just as I want a cat 3 cane hit . I’m sure  neither will happen , but I’ll continue hoping 

You’ll probably have both before your life is over but you may have to chase to the coast somewhere for the cat 3.

47 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’m considering this winter full atonement for the glory of 2015. As far as im concerned, the debt has been paid off and we enter next winter with a clean slate. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I’m considering this winter full atonement for the glory of 2015. As far as im concerned, the debt has been paid off and we enter next winter with a clean slate. 

What was 2015 in Hamden? Just a basic above average winter with no memorable snowstorms in the western half of the state. I know it was MUCH different in the eastern half. 

56 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Biggest hinderance to a big ice storm is QPF. It’s not that much QPF in this system south of the main WAA fronto band which falls mostly in the form of snow/sleet. You’d also typically like to see the mesolow aspect tilted more NE to SW instead of E-W. The latter makes the ageo drain less efficient and slower. 

Can grab 1” of qpf south of 90

3 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

What was 2015 in Hamden? Just a basic above average winter with no memorable snowstorms in the western half of the state. I know it was MUCH different in the eastern half. 

Yeah he was living in Cambridge in 2015….

CT is a tougher call. Was it great there in an absolute sense? Prob falls a little short unless we’re talking the northeast 1/3rd of the state. 

2012-13? I think this one would have to be considered great only because it had the best CT snowstorm in over 100 years (1888). It did have some other solid storms too like 12/29/12. 

2010-11 was a truly great winter in CT as well. Multiple big dogs with CT getting jackpots in multiple storms. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Be careful about expecting inches of IP anywhere...seldom works out like that. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

CT is a tougher call. Was it great there in an absolute sense? Prob falls a little short unless we’re talking the northeast 1/3rd of the state. 

2012-13? I think this one would have to be considered great only because it had the best CT snowstorm in over 100 years (1888). It did have some other solid storms too like 12/29/12. 

2010-11 was a truly great winter in CT as well. Multiple big dogs with CT getting jackpots in multiple storms. 

95/96, 02/03, 10/11, 13/14 and 17/18 were great years for CT. 12/13 was ok with one historic storm.

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

No 93/94? Regardless, I bet SEMA has the most AN deviations from avg snowfall since 1990, and it’s probably not even close. 

I’d agree with that. There haven’t been a ton of winters that were monsters in the interior but kind of meh in SE MA…but I think if you start in 2002-2003 the skew would be even worse because 1992-93 and 2000-01 were monsters over interior but for SE MA weren’t that great. Esp once you were more than 10 miles south of BOS. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes we’ve had many solid years of 60-80” around here in the past 20 years. 2010-11 stands out the most. 

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I’d agree with that. There haven’t been a ton of winters that were monsters in the interior but kind of meh in SE MA…but I think if you start in 2002-2003 the skew would be even worse because 1992-93 and 2000-01 were monsters over interior but for SE MA weren’t that great. Esp once you were more than 10 miles south of BOS. 

How was 2007-08 down in SE Mass?  That seemed like a more interior high-end winter, but got there a different way through SWFE than nor’easters.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

How was 2007-08 down in SE Mass?  That seemed like a more interior high-end winter, but got there a different way through SWFE than nor’easters.

South of the pike it was sub par.  I remember Max (Capecod04) complaining.  Right on the pike including BOS did ok but 20 miles north was epic.

• Like 1