Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

"Easiest" winter ever...every winter forecast that called for some combination of normal/below normal temps and normal to above normal snowfall is in line to be amongst the worse seasonal forecast ever.

Truthfully I didn't see that many. Most went the other way.

Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

"Easiest" winter ever...every winter forecast that called for some combination of normal/below normal temps and normal to above normal snowfall is in line to be amongst the worse seasonal forecast ever.

The baffling part for someone who works around tech everyday is how is the modeling so off or are we putting too much stock outside of 5 days? The cold snap two weeks ago was probably the best modeled event of the season. 

Does anyone track model consistency for each event to see which is closest? 

Just now, Modfan2 said:

The baffling part for someone who works around tech everyday is how is the modeling so off or are we putting too much stock outside of 5 days? The cold snap two weeks ago was probably the best modeled event of the season. 

What has been off? When you’re two weeks out, things can change a lot. I don’t recall much changing inside a week. 

3 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

I's been a" bad" winter for the " the pattern looks much better in 10-14 days"  crowd..

• Like 1

23 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I don’t think it’s impossible, but the GEFS indies show that if a legit -NAO develops, it is far more likely that it forces the typical 50/50 response rather than a full latitude ridge

therefore, I’ll keep it in the back of my mind, but I’m not gonna say it’s likely or anything 

image.png.7068a243670bf3cd599e14b49f0b53d2.png

All 3 of them look very iffy in SNE. Wouldn’t take much to see all 3 mainly non frozen . Still seems to be like a NNE pattern overall 

I don’t know about all 3 being rain in SNE, south of there? Absolutely. IMO, all 3 are going to turn into New England frozen events with primarily all rain south of there. The GFS cold bias is ridiculous
  • Like 1