Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

7 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Same here... Crews heading out to treat given still wet roads and temps crashing into the upper 20's.  Normally drying wins out but only takes is one icy curve for an ugly crash.  Stafford heading out to treat soon, as well.

Watch for 84 to shut down between exits 68-69 shortly as it’s now below 32. Probably already over 100 accidents in 2023

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The forum gets to be almost like sports team divided… like forecasting is a team sport.  No matter what guidance shows, if one has already picked a side of team to be a fan of, it’s not going to move the needle.

The “yeah I know it shows this but I don’t believe it” type stuff is like why even look or discuss the models?  If you only believe what you want to see and disbelieve everything else, then might as well just log off and do another hobby, ha.

There is definitely a brand of poster who cares more about being “first” or “calling it” from a long ways out more than just looking at data and formulating a changing hypothesis from it. 

Usually those types of posters end up looking silly in the long run though because they will be more resistant to change if the data starts going the other way out of fear of “looking wrong”….honestly, most people don’t give a shit if someone is “wrong” about a 10-15 day prog. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Truly jealous, winter despite the non winter for most even just south of you as you point out. I would genuinely love to live up there. 

One day, perhaps. I have my retirement sights on moving to NNE. Been slowly warming my wife up to the idea. I’ve gotten her more and more into winter hiking in snowcover (we travel often). 

Enjoy what many others have been lacking this winter!

I did just what you wanted to do.  From a kid in Baltimore moved to Metro Boston after college.  Worked there and bought a fixer upper up here.  Eventually sold my business and moved up full time.  Never looked back.  Central NH is a great place.  No crime, no traffic, beautiful landscapes and true 4 season weather.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, FXWX said:

That stretch has accidents on 70 degree days with full sun. I'm not sure why?  If they setup a wide angle live television feed from that area it would be one of the most watched channels...

Yes. They happen all year no matter the weather. In all seriousness, there’s probably 20+ almost every month . There was a terrible accident this week. 2 actually. One Tuesday and one Wednesday. I drive it almost daily . They’ve done countless studies on it. I’m sure most posters here have driven that stretch at some point. It’s not particularly windy or curvy, there’s nothing to the naked eye that screams danger. There are a few gentle bends as you go up the hill and then down towards 68(Uconn exit) . But nothing that should cause the massive issues . And the scariest part is many of them are with critical injuries or deadly . When my daughters were in the middle school there was a journalist heading to the school to do a story . I think was from Southbury or that area.. it was winter, but no snow or any OTG. Car flipped into the median and died, another time a state trooper was in breakdown lane was rear ended and killed instantly . There’s countless truck fires. It is absolutely governed by some higher power . Not a doubt in my mind 

6 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I did just what you wanted to do.  From a kid in Baltimore moved to Metro Boston after college.  Worked there and bought a fixer upper up here.  Eventually sold my business and moved up full time.  Never looked back.  Central NH is a great place.  No crime, no traffic, beautiful landscapes and true 4 season weather.

Biggest barrier for many moving to NNE (who want to) is economic opportunity. Esp outside of the hubs like PWM/BTV and maybe you could include some of the southern NH towns like ASH/MHT/PSM. 

Though the increase in remote work maybe be helping some for those who want a new landscape. But remote work is very white collar so that isn’t an opportunity for everyone. 

But it still holds true that many just hate the cold up there too…lol. I def wouldn’t mind but so many other people I know who go up there to ski or vacation in the summer are always like “winters are too damned cold up here…I couldn’t live full time here”. I’d prob live in Rangeley in a bachelor pad if I wasn’t married. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yes. They happen all year no matter the weather. In all seriousness, there’s probably 20+ almost every month . There was a terrible accident this week. 2 actually. One Tuesday and one Wednesday. I drive it almost daily . They’ve done countless studies on it. I’m sure most posters here have driven that stretch at some point. It’s not particularly windy or curvy, there’s nothing to the naked eye that screams danger. There are a few gentle bends as you go up the hill and then down towards 68(Uconn exit) . But nothing that should cause the massive issues . And the scariest part is many of them are with critical injuries or deadly . When my daughters were in the middle school there was a journalist heading to the school to do a story . I think was from Southbury or that area.. it was winter, but no snow or any OTG. Car flipped into the median and died, another time a state trooper was in breakdown lane was rear ended and killed instantly . There’s countless truck fires. It is absolutely governed by some higher power . Not a doubt in my mind 

Must be a portal

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

But it still holds true that many just hate the cold up there too…lol. I def wouldn’t mind but so many other people I know who go up there to ski or vacation in the summer are always like “winters are too damned cold up here…I couldn’t live full time here”. I’d prob live in Rangeley in a bachelor pad if I wasn’t married. 

My wife barely puts up with it.  Barely.  :lol:

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I like the ocean. Always been attracted to it. I won’t change that. Mtns are great except for some of the people living there. 

If I wasn’t in the mountains, I’d go ocean. I need some interesting geography or environment to interact with my passion for weather.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Except no legal weed so you can’t truly live free or die…