Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Agreed. It’s very hard to imagine me not getting another inch of snow from 2/9 through the end of March.  But I can see how it does happen, cuz we can’t catch a single f’n break.  

4.3” on the season here…it would be easier to get another 6” of snow from now through the end of March, than it would be to get shut out.  But if there’s a season to do it, it’s certainly this one.  I mean, I thought 11-12 was bad, but that’s a joke compared to this so far. This has the ability to be in its own league of RAT at the moment. 

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Agreed. It’s very hard to imagine me not getting another inch of snow from 2/9 through the end of March.  But I can see how it does happen, cuz we can’t catch a single f’n break.  

4.3” on the season here…it would be easier to get another 6” of snow from now through the end of March, than it would be to get shut out.  But if there’s a season to do it, it’s certainly this one.  I mean, I thought 11-12 was bad, but that’s a joke compared to this so far. This has the ability to be in its own league of RAT at the moment. 

I honestly and truly don’t get why some folks don’t think futility is more likely than not . Some winters reveal themselves very plainly 

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWolf said:

I know some may interpret this as me trying to play it both ways, but it's not because I grade what I posted in November, regardless. I'm just trying honestly convey a level of uncertainty. I expect that pattern moving forward to produce some snow, but I also need to acknowledge that the pattern all season has struggled to produce snowfall comensurste with potential. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I know some may interpret this as me trying to play it both ways, but it's not because I grade what I posted in November, regardless. I'm just trying honestly convey a level of uncertainty. I expect that pattern moving forward to produce some snow, but I also need to acknowledge that the pattern all season has struggled to produce snowfall comensurste with potential. 

I get it. I understand your position, No worries.

I’d like to have one major storm(it wouldn’t change the Rat status obviously), but it would take a tad of the sting away. And then it can be full on spring come mid to late March. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I get it. I understand your position, No worries.

I’d like to have one major storm(it wouldn’t change the Rat status obviously), but it would take a tad of the sting away. And then it can be full on spring come mid to late March. 

I like a major late season deal to help bridge the gap from winter to fantasy baseball draft.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Is there a certain soil temp threshold that needs to be crossed for thing to begin looking like spring again with flowers and leaf or is it Also sun angle Dependent 

Not exactly sure what the criteria is. Isn't 50F the minimum level for germination. 

They also differentiate between leaf index and bloom which happens much later. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

N. Maine in line for 8-12” tonight/tomorrow.  Deep winter continues in N. Aroostook. 

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Jackman 4-6", County 6-10" lock it.

Snowing nicely here, hoping for 4 inches to give me something to work with in the groomer tomorrow night. 

46 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

11-12 is the earliest id ever been done snowmobiling in middle of March after that 80 degree stretch. Only one of two winters in my past 19 years of riding I didn't ride in April at least once. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Hyperbole on ice fishing...Most lakes froze up or mostly froze during a 2 day deep freeze but the layer of ice was only thick enough for ducks to walk on it.

The smaller ponds have had coatings of ice here and there, I don' think any but the smallest were ever safe to walk on. The bigger lakes like Webster Lake only had a full thin coating after last weekend and is back to 50% open water. Other than 2012 they usually have ice enough for ice fishing for a while, last year even had ice a foot thick for a short while.

• Like 2