Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 23rd Storm Threat: keeping positive vibes, ending chances of futility

TalcottWx

23 minutes ago, Thunderblizzard said:

There goes the GFS too with the reach around... much more robust than 12z.

In a quasi analogous way it's similar to this last system we just went through...with a lead sort of burst of isentropic lift rain and snow where-is lucky...then a ball of instability snow burst comes through after the fact.  

interesting -

That also snows pretty darn hard for 3 or so hours in NYC-HFD corridor.  That oughta make Kevina happy

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Man.. I think it might snow 

OH it's no question the day's models have heard your bitchin' and are doing their best.  I just don't know if it's highly believable.  I don't know ...I'm not un-confident .. heh. 

The thing is, these needle threaders can wiggle a small amount and have a big impact on gradation of ptypes and amounts therein.   That's A

The second thing, this is legit trending colder in the low levels... It appears the models were too warm in the BL across and as we are nearing this thing, there's some feedback coming from that correction.  So as the system is flattening in the flow, we are getting a superposition of that over top a BL that's correcting.   It's not correcting hugely. ...yet. So let's not get carried away. But it's a marginal system thermally, so it sensy to perturbations.  The last several cycles of entire GEF cluster, including the operational...are actually tracking the low along a like-able trajectory for snow climo.. .But it's been raining clear back to NW CT to the Manadnocks.   ...correcting the BL colder makes that interesting.  Ice and IP are in the discussion, too.  

Lastly, the lagging jet dynamics forcing a new plume of moderate snow burst has been slowly emerging as an end game changer - perhaps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

OH it's no question the day's models have heard your bitchin' and are doing their best.  I just don't know if it's highly believable.  I don't know ...I'm not un-confident .. heh. 

The thing is, these needle threaders can wiggle a small amount and have a big impact on gradation of ptypes and amounts therein.   That's A

The second thing, this is legit trending colder in the low levels... It appears the models were too warm in the BL across and as we are nearing this thing, there's some feedback coming from that correction.  So as the system is flattening in the flow, we are getting a superposition of that over top a BL that's correcting.   It's not correcting hugely. ...yet. So let's not get carried away. But it's a marginal system thermally, so it sensy to perturbations.  

I do wonder if todays slight cloud induced thermal bust parlays into some of that correction.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I do wonder if todays slight cloud induced thermal bust parlays into some of that correction.

Typically that doesn’t end up mattering much but in a really marginal setup it can be the difference. Tip likes to call it “cold capped”….ala Dec ‘97 storm. If you have trouble heating the sfc, then the adjacent 925-950 layer ends up maybe one half tick colder and that could matter for those on the line. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I figured we were at the max last night but then today happened. At some point it will stop though. 

I don't think we're done correcting the BL cold though.

By the way, the GFS' mid week shift on the 18z is almost pants shitting...  That's a major impact like out near the Quabbin and along Rt 2 ...with 6" thump followed by IP/ice 2010 December style.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Typically that doesn’t end up mattering much but in a really marginal setup it can be the difference. Tip likes to call it “cold capped”….ala Dec ‘97 storm. If you have trouble heating the sfc, then the adjacent 925-950 layer ends up maybe one half tick colder and that could matter for those on the line. 

Yes, all I am saying...negligible impact, but sometimes synoptically negligible variations have major impacts on sensible weather.