Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,499
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    whatweather
    Newest Member
    whatweather
    Joined

January 2023 General Discussion


Hoosier
 Share

Recommended Posts

You can't make this shiat up. From the current MKE AFD:

(ISSUED 221 PM CST FRI JAN 20 2023)  
  
TUESDAY THROUGH NEXT WEEKEND:  
  
A QUIET STRETCH OF WEATHER IS IN STORE FOR SOUTHERN WISCONSIN   
THROUGH THU WITH INCREASING PRECIPITATION CHANCES TOWARDS THE END   
OF THE WEEK AND THROUGH THE WEEKEND. TUE THROUGH THU WILL FEATURE   
MOSTLY CLEAR TO PARTLY CLOUDY SKIES, PLEASANT TEMPS AND COMFORTABLE   
DEW POINTS IN THE 50S TO LOWER 60S. THE LONGWAVE PATTERN FEATURES A   
WESTERN RIDGE AND EASTERN TROUGH WHICH WILL KEEP TEMPERATURES IN   
CHECK WITH HIGHS IN THE UPPER 70S TO NEAR 80 WITH LOWS MAINLY IN THE   
50S WITH LOWER 60S CLOSER TO THE LAKE.
THE NW FLOW ALOFT WILL ALSO   
ALLOW MULTIPLE SHORTWAVES TO TRACK ACROSS THE REGION THROUGH THE   
PERIOD. THE FIRST WILL BE PULLING AWAY FROM SW WI TUE AM AND SHOULD   
HAVE MINIMAL EFFECT OTHER THAN MAYBE SOME DECREASING CLOUDINESS   
THROUGH THE DAY ON TUE, ESP ACROSS SW WI. THE NEXT WAVE PASSES W/SW   
OF THE AREA LATE TUE NIGHT INTO WED. THE GFS IS CONSIDERABLY   
STRONGER WITH THIS FEATURE, BUT AGAIN, ANY IMPACTS ARE EXPECTED TO   
BE LIMITED TO AN INCREASE IN CLOUD COVER ACROSS SW WI. 

 

I guess Palm Tree dude was right.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Baum said:

You can't make this shiat up. From the current MKE AFD:

(ISSUED 221 PM CST FRI JAN 20 2023)  
  
TUESDAY THROUGH NEXT WEEKEND:  
  
A QUIET STRETCH OF WEATHER IS IN STORE FOR SOUTHERN WISCONSIN   
THROUGH THU WITH INCREASING PRECIPITATION CHANCES TOWARDS THE END   
OF THE WEEK AND THROUGH THE WEEKEND. TUE THROUGH THU WILL FEATURE   
MOSTLY CLEAR TO PARTLY CLOUDY SKIES, PLEASANT TEMPS AND COMFORTABLE   
DEW POINTS IN THE 50S TO LOWER 60S. THE LONGWAVE PATTERN FEATURES A   
WESTERN RIDGE AND EASTERN TROUGH WHICH WILL KEEP TEMPERATURES IN   
CHECK WITH HIGHS IN THE UPPER 70S TO NEAR 80 WITH LOWS MAINLY IN THE   
50S WITH LOWER 60S CLOSER TO THE LAKE.
THE NW FLOW ALOFT WILL ALSO   
ALLOW MULTIPLE SHORTWAVES TO TRACK ACROSS THE REGION THROUGH THE   
PERIOD. THE FIRST WILL BE PULLING AWAY FROM SW WI TUE AM AND SHOULD   
HAVE MINIMAL EFFECT OTHER THAN MAYBE SOME DECREASING CLOUDINESS   
THROUGH THE DAY ON TUE, ESP ACROSS SW WI. THE NEXT WAVE PASSES W/SW   
OF THE AREA LATE TUE NIGHT INTO WED. THE GFS IS CONSIDERABLY   
STRONGER WITH THIS FEATURE, BUT AGAIN, ANY IMPACTS ARE EXPECTED TO   
BE LIMITED TO AN INCREASE IN CLOUD COVER ACROSS SW WI. 

 

I guess Palm Tree dude was right.

D.A.R.E. | Tom Green County TX Sheriff's Office

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can't make this shiat up. From the current MKE AFD:
(ISSUED 221 PM CST FRI JAN 20 2023)  
  
TUESDAY THROUGH NEXT WEEKEND:  
  
A QUIET STRETCH OF WEATHER IS IN STORE FOR SOUTHERN WISCONSIN   
THROUGH THU WITH INCREASING PRECIPITATION CHANCES TOWARDS THE END   
OF THE WEEK AND THROUGH THE WEEKEND. TUE THROUGH THU WILL FEATURE   
MOSTLY CLEAR TO PARTLY CLOUDY SKIES, PLEASANT TEMPS AND COMFORTABLE   
DEW POINTS IN THE 50S TO LOWER 60S. THE LONGWAVE PATTERN FEATURES A   
WESTERN RIDGE AND EASTERN TROUGH WHICH WILL KEEP TEMPERATURES IN   
CHECK WITH HIGHS IN THE UPPER 70S TO NEAR 80 WITH LOWS MAINLY IN THE   
50S WITH LOWER 60S CLOSER TO THE LAKE.
THE NW FLOW ALOFT WILL ALSO   
ALLOW MULTIPLE SHORTWAVES TO TRACK ACROSS THE REGION THROUGH THE   
PERIOD. THE FIRST WILL BE PULLING AWAY FROM SW WI TUE AM AND SHOULD   
HAVE MINIMAL EFFECT OTHER THAN MAYBE SOME DECREASING CLOUDINESS   
THROUGH THE DAY ON TUE, ESP ACROSS SW WI. THE NEXT WAVE PASSES W/SW   
OF THE AREA LATE TUE NIGHT INTO WED. THE GFS IS CONSIDERABLY   
STRONGER WITH THIS FEATURE, BUT AGAIN, ANY IMPACTS ARE EXPECTED TO   
BE LIMITED TO AN INCREASE IN CLOUD COVER ACROSS SW WI. 
 
I guess Palm Tree dude was right.

I have someone on the inside. Hahahahah. Anyway, joking aside…. Zzzzzzzzz170aeb10d66aeb995bec8730d47f9425.jpg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few interesting tidbits. Yesterday I got 1.30" of rain which was my largest precipitation event since February 17, 2022. That event was mostly frozen, so it was actually my single biggest all rain event since October 25, 2021.

 

 Also, hard to believe in this Winter, but today's trace of snow was the 30th day of the season that DTW has had a trace or more of snow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

A few interesting tidbits. Yesterday I got 1.30" of rain which was my largest precipitation event since February 17, 2022. That event was mostly frozen, so it was actually my single biggest all rain event since October 25, 2021.

 

 Also, hard to believe in this Winter, but today's trace of snow was the 30th day of the season that DTW has had a trace or more of snow.

Never saw a hint of flakes. Is DTW down wind of a smoke stack or something? They seem like snow haven

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given the look over the coming days, we could be on the way to having a pretty freaky January in parts of the sub.  It is quite conceivable that some areas will receive near average or even above average snowfall for January, despite it being a top 5 or 10 warmest January.  And I'm not talking about just the northern tier, where it's easier to pull off the combination of very mild and snowy.  I'm talking about parts of the central and southern sub.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Given the look over the coming days, we could be on the way to having a pretty freaky January in parts of the sub.  It is quite conceivable that some areas will receive near average or even above average snowfall for January, despite it being a top 5 or 10 warmest January.  And I'm not talking about just the northern tier, where it's easier to pull off the combination of very mild and snowy.  I'm talking about parts of the central and southern sub.

That's like February 1998. I was shocked to learn there was a storm early that month that dumped 18.5 inches at Cincinnati - at least at the airport in northern Kentucky, and 20-24" from Louisville to Lexington and even into southern West Virginia. Beckley had two 26" storms within two weeks - one in later January and then one in early February.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

That's like February 1998. I was shocked to learn there was a storm early that month that dumped 18.5 inches at Cincinnati - at least at the airport in northern Kentucky, and 20-24" from Louisville to Lexington and even into southern West Virginia. Beckley had two 26" storms within two weeks - one in later January and then one in early February.

I guess it's kind of like that.  But from an anomaly perspective, this January is currently way warmer than Feb 1998.  Even the mean temps so far this month are running warmer than Feb 1998 in the southern sub (will have to see what they are at month's end), which is impressive given that January is a calendar month earlier than February.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saturday the high is 43, that will nuke the 1-2” snowfall after a mere 48-72 hour snow cover. Next week snowfall chances look slim, and that brings us to February already. 
 

the ground blizzard in December  had no moisture, yesterdays storm had questionable thermals leading to 4:1 ratios. 
 

getting close to being done with this winter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...