Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Well the divergent regions of jetstreaks are in the left front and right rear quadrants. That was the common terminology when I was growing up although in college I had a professor that chose to use equatorward entrance and poleward exit region…and that may be easier for someone to imagine and recall while looking at upper level maps.

But my point was there’s a lot of spread with that many members that far out. These regions of extra upper level divergence/convergence within jetstreaks are at a relatively small scale compared to the global and synoptic flow so it’s kind of a moot point. It’s like seeing isobars hanging back on an SLP mean at d15 and reading it as inverted trough potential whereas it’s just spread amongst the differing members. 

Also, the base of the trough axes tend to have relatively lower wind speeds so you wouldn’t expect to see a jetstreak like that in that position of the trough anyway. Usually in coastals we have the trough axis to our west and we’re looking for that jetstreak on the east side of the trough and the left front quad somewhere  around or inside the benchmark. The classic dual jet setups have another jet to our E/NE and the right rear quadrant paired with the left front one along the coast.

Thanks for the detailed response, that helps me understand.

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Looks like dung for most. A once great winter weather area, New England has been reduced to hoping for some garbage system in a 2 day window before we revert back to shades closed. Sad!

The east coast climate for snow will be dwindling year after year .

Soon NYC will have DC snowfall and Boston will have NYC snowfall. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Here’s the thing with New England skiing… maybe 10% of the days are truly crap conditions and terrible.  Like the day after it rains and now it’s 6F outside.  That’s crap.  Even three days after that it’s much better with more grooming.

There are 10% of days where it’s truly awesome and great skiing that is memorable.

Then there’s 80% of the bell curve that’s just “New England skiing.”  It can be good on some trails, horrific on others, it’s a mix of snow and ice, etc.  It’s variable.  It changes wildly throughout the day.  it changes depending on the lift you’re riding.  Great at open, terrible at closing.  You can usually find some good trails, and you can find some bad ones.

Thats New England.

I saw an Instagram or Twitter feed ... it was a seen from chair at elevation of a slope near Mt Washington/Tuckerman's Revene,

....with 0z snow on the ground?   

Obviously as Gram of coke and intellect of "Twits,"  ...one cannot take that a face value.  But the pic was not taken at the summit of Mt Washington. I've hiked that before; I know that layout.  I just am wondering if there are really any regions up there that are really in such a dearth.  I guess with snow making, in an atrocious year ...they can pick slopes to focus on and sacrifice the others. 

22 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Point and click yesterday was 54 and mostly sunny today....now it's 49 and mostly cloudy. It is still 36.0 and cloudy here. I could understand it if we had snow melt going on, but seriously? Was hoping for a nice day today

Man it really is an April pattern

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Looks like dung for most. A once great winter weather area, New England has been reduced to hoping for some garbage system in a 2 day window before we revert back to shades closed. Sad!

Man you never SHUT THE FUK UP! Go and take a break. What a whining lil beotch. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10
  • Weenie 1

We may have to put up the winter weenie help hotline 

press 1 for George’s latest model interpretation

press 2 for Brooklyn 99’s last map posted 

press 3 to play that game where you can clobber A helpless blizz 13 in a boxing  game 

press 4 to have us pick up any toasters in your house for your safety 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

We may have to put up the winter weenie help hotline 

press 1 for George’s latest model interpretation

press 2 for Brooklyn 99’s last map posted 

press 3 to play that game where you whack blizz13 in a shooting game 

press 4 to have us pick up any toasters in your house for your safety 

press 5 to hear Ray's winter forecast

press 6 to hear Ray melt about the pattern and stress over his forecast

press 7 to hear Ray reassure himself that this is all going according to plan

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

27 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Man you never SHUT THE FUK UP! Go and take a break. What a whining lil beotch. 

Ah ..hell, it's not so bad.   Every group needs to have someone in it that demonstrates their overt desire to point out the patently obvious ...

Being a downer could knock years off your life: study ...of the plight and times we are all, already aware.

It's probably even an evolutionary advantage, that a nay nogger is in the group/community ...tribe,..etc.  Because the group "psychosis" phenomenon could (maybe) guide them off the proverbial cliff, believing the imagined state of euphoria were actually real.  Heh, now that I think about it...there's probably something to this.  Humans are inherently social critters - there are those that have fear of intimacy...ranging to anxiety or anti social disorders. However, in general, we are compelled to seek audience or show in either direction, influencing company in both directions. It's how decisions are made that guide the "community" in the best direction.  It's just that now we have iPhones giving the instruction, ...which results in a whole host of zombie-isms...but that's another story.   Even in stricter autocratic, or your more heavily "totem"-based sociodynamic society types, there is that input device.  

So thinking about that...if everyone is sipping the 'everything is awesome' unicorn and rainbow cool aide, you need the NARCAN offsets, too.  

BUT...here is the interesting: it means that both sides are full of shit - it's just a matter of amounts on either side for the scale.  You'd have the whole groups as partially full of shit ( then..), which = some quotient of full-of-shitness, balanced by one complete and utter hyper veiny dong for the dystopia of the times, in order to bring the tone of the whole back to normal.   

hahaha.   Trying to be a little funny - a little.     

• Like 3