Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Mid-Long Range Disco

nj2va

4 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

So you think the unusual nino look will NOT last much or it likely WILL? (Trying to make sue I understood ya correctly)

Shouldn't last. It's too far away from Nina climo. My guess is it's some sort of byproduct or aftereffect of the big blocking event. Atmosphere is in flux. Aleutian low won't park and the pac won't stay configured like that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Shouldn't last. It's too far away from Nina climo. My guess is it's some sort of byproduct or aftereffect of the big blocking event. Atmosphere is in flux. Aleutian low won't park and the pac won't stay configured like that. 

the most likely scenario is that we get another favorable period as the Pacific jet retracts and the ULL over AK retrogrades to the Aleutians, would happen around Jan 10th or so. this is a relatively common way to get a nice +PNA/-EPO ridge spike

you can start to see that process happen on the EPS here

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-1671624000-1672488000-1672920000-20-1.thumb.gif.57cf714992fc0ca3c05e667c0fa854f7.gif

• Like 5

9 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

While I generally agree with the overall sentiment you are conveying, there is a real chance that DCA may see a record low max on Christmas Eve (current record, 23).  This is a very solid cold air shot one month before our peak climo cold.

yeah the timing is just about perfect for that.

10 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Was thinking this the other day and some Twitter Mets have been posting about it now, but the “relax” period around new years is basically a canonical super El Niño pattern. Pretty odd in the midst of a 3rd year La Niña. As that big AK/NPac trough rotates back west toward the Aleutians and Kamchatka, the PNA and EPO ridge will go back up and we’ll chill back down. Very Nino-like evolution. No pattern has been locking in for very long (clearly…), so I imagine we’ll have opportunities by/after Jan 7-10.

does this suggest the Niña is breaking down?

there is a tremendous amount of subsurface warmth near the Dateline, which leads me to believe that we have a good shot at a weak to moderate central based Nino next year... there's also never been four Ninas in a row. I think next year (and certainly 2024-25) is when we finally flip the switch to +ENSO. warm neutral at an absolute minimum next year

Capture.JPG.2b4bce26c84941102ceffe24636e0e0f.JPG

Capture1.JPG.94bb4224ef6405de8d84a483b033f473.JPG

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The transition to a better longwave pattern does show up towards day 15 on the current ens runs as the AK vortex retrogrades. Latest GEFSx  continues with the progression: by the second week in Jan we have a negative EPO/WPO, neutral PNA, and neutral/slightly neg AO/NAO.

1673740800-o3oswZ892oo.png

Much better look, especially for January. Now let’s hope this isn’t underestimating the WAR. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

there is a tremendous amount of subsurface warmth near the Dateline, which leads me to believe that we have a good shot at a weak to moderate central based Nino next year... there's also never been four Ninas in a row. I think next year (and certainly 2024-25) is when we finally flip the switch to +ENSO. warm neutral at an absolute minimum next year

Capture.JPG.2b4bce26c84941102ceffe24636e0e0f.JPG

Capture1.JPG.94bb4224ef6405de8d84a483b033f473.JPG

FINALLY! Phew...this nina had a dang extra life! Glad to see it's on it's way out. Now to see if Niños still work...

43 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The transition to a better longwave pattern does show up towards day 15 on the current ens runs as the AK vortex retrogrades. Latest GEFSx  continues with the progression: by the second week in Jan we have a negative EPO/WPO, neutral PNA, and neutral/slightly neg AO/NAO.

Hopefully the EPO can help replenish the cold air scoured out by the Pac Puke.

14 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Hopefully the EPO can help replenish the cold air scoured out by the Pac Puke.

It will but it is going to take time....and of course patience. Pretty confident the early season HL ridging will return....at least that's what history tells us should happen. And with prime climo on our doorstep and peaking in a few weeks, we may time things up for a decent backloaded sort of winter. It certainly is far from over. We also go thru this on the reg....epic patterns produce far less than people expect. It still require timing and of course luck. And with that said, nobody expected the good looks up top to be wall-to-wall from Dec-March. Sometimes the reload period takes longer than people want. Not sure anyone knows how long the coming hostile PAC will last or whether it is going to be transient. A little tracking break is healthy during the holiday season. Enjoy it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that PAC look resembles more of a Nino-ish regime with the Aleutian low and weak central pac flat ridge? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WeatherShak said:

46f3e8e3e145236e048b5cea425aede9.jpg
I remember the Potomac being frozen over pretty good that January.

Sure hope it happens like this because at least the first 10 days of January are a literal dumpster fire as it looks now.  It’s time to start cutting the grass kind of warm. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pazzo83 said:

does this suggest the Niña is breaking down?

I don’t think so. More that the Niña is not as coupled to the atmospheric pattern right now. That coupling or lack of can be a persistent feature or it can be transient. This Niña is dying but not dead yet, so I’d expect it to exert some influence still but can’t say when. 

On 12/20/2022 at 9:24 PM, Terpeast said:

I was checking daily temps and precip data for IAD and DCA for the 85-86 winter, which was - and still is - my top analog for this winter. 

It was very back loaded, and it didn’t really get going until the end of February, when it got most of its snow. It was quite cold wall to wall, but had so little to show for it Dec-Jan.

I can only imagine what this forum would have been like in a winter like this. :yikes:

That was the year when all the TV mets promised a white Christmas. December 24 was 58 degrees, but it was supposed to start raining in the evening and then switch to snow, piling up 2 to 4 inches. But whatever primitive Neanderthal forecast models they were using back then were less accurate than flipping a coin. The cold air never arrived and we got zero snow. Bitter disappointment!!

6 hours ago, BristowWx said:

Sure hope it happens like this because at least the first 10 days of January are a literal dumpster fire as it looks now.  It’s time to start cutting the grass kind of warm. 

If that verifies then my time here on this forum will be short lived. Going to be taking a dirt nap.

1 minute ago, StantonParkHoya said:

It’s really a tough pill to swallow flushing the first two weeks of January. By mid Jan we’re eyeballing like 4-6 weeks as time on the clock to realistically score. Disclaimer: I do not like March snow as I’m fully in spring mode by then.

It stinks but it could be worse. If we can get the pattern flip we want by mid-January, I'll happily roll the dice in prime-climo from mid-January through hopefully mid-March. It's disappointing this "epic" pattern was a total bust and we won't manage a White Christmas, but it seems like some of the smartest posters we have here like where we are heading.

• nj2va changed the title to January 2023 Mid-Long Range Disco
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic