• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Discussion 2022

Frog Town

Been a pretty solid start to winter here compared to the rest of the sub. 15.5”  on the season, 4-5” otg at the moment, thanks to that thread the needle event when I was in CA. We’ve been staying below freezing most days and the nights have been in the low teens. Saw the first few brave anglers stepping out on the ice yesterday. Most of the area lakes are frozen over now but I’d give it a couple more weeks to firm up. 

• Like 2

About 3" of fluff fell yesterday, and now another very cold day with highs barely in the teens. Just like back on the 3rd when Duluth had a high of 11 (tied 5th for low max).

1972 -2

1976 8

1886 9

1940 10

1895/1919/77/85/2022 11

Yesterday was in the upper teens, so just a little colder than that. Easterly fetch coming up, so that'll keep temps running a little warmer with the lake, and generally cloudy, unfortunately. Snow, and sun make for really bright days. Really like that. Possible storm next week. But we shall see.

NWS Duluth dry humor on the their story board today :) 

Possible storm.gif

On 12/6/2022 at 11:35 AM, Brian D said:

Prelim data in for Nov, and we have another warmer Nov in the record book, as well as the Fall season.

Nov Midwest temp anom.gif

Fall Midwest temp anom.gif

Not sure if I have mentioned this before, but I'm using a 10 yr running avg for the trending. Decadal trending seems to be normative. If you use 5 yrs, you do get a better picture of the ups, and downs we've experienced over time. Some folks like using that to see how variable our weather has been on shorter timescales. 

If you guys would like to see both, I can do that. Just hit the "Thanks" button if you'd like both. "Like" if you want just the 10 yr. like I have been doing. 

5 yr Nov chrt anom.gif

5 yr Fall chrt anom.gif

• Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Brian D said:

About 3" of fluff fell yesterday, and now another very cold day with highs barely in the teens. Just like back on the 3rd when Duluth had a high of 11 (tied 5th for low max).

1972 -2

1976 8

1886 9

1940 10

1895/1919/77/85/2022 11

Yesterday was in the upper teens, so just a little colder than that. Easterly fetch coming up, so that'll keep temps running a little warmer with the lake, and generally cloudy, unfortunately. Snow, and sun make for really bright days. Really like that. Possible storm next week. But we shall see.

NWS Duluth dry humor on the their story board today :) 

Possible storm.gif

Night and day difference down here.  Low 40s and zero snow.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Dense fog held on for most of the morning, but cleared off nicely this afternoon.  Pretty hazy still, kinda looks like it wants to fog back up.

Yeah we were decently foggy too, not over the top but a solid 1-3 mile most of the night and into most of the morning today. I love a good fog.

10 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

I've had to endure weeks of no sunlight until this morning when it was mostly clear til 2. Then more dense clouds.

Last week in florida I didn't see a cloud in 4 days. I've been home in detroit for 5 days and haven't seen the sun since ive been back. What a zzzz stretch...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Lunar-wise, it is mostly autumn. Meteorology decided winter starts Dec 1st. Nature doesn't always oblige. 

The coldest 3 month stretch of the year averages around December 1 to Feb 28. This shows that for all but a few areas in N lower and E Upper Michigan the coldest 1/4 of the year starts by December 10

• Like 1