• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion 2022

Frog Town

Edit: I put this in the Medium LR thread now, but left it here too.

Need a banter thread. Surprised no one posted about the 12z GFS - actual potential in not clown range. But in all seriousness, the 12z GEFS does have an intriguing look later next week, which would fit in the window Joe alluded to on the Medium LR thread. Beyond that, we'll see if things go to a favorable pattern for decent clippers/Pac hybrids. Overnight ENS pointed in that direction.

Attached is the composite mean 500 mb heights for December 2010. That had a bigger system (the Metrodome roof crusher) on the 11th-12th then trended to a good clipper pattern through the holidays. It was a Niña with a high end NAO block. We'll see if we have a relatively similar progression this month. The NAO block should have staying power given the forecast magnitude, so if snow can be put down it'll likely stick around.compday.qNXhgu1YMQ.gif.ecfbb528ad047d6bcb9e1bf53a6736f5.gif

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

Edit: I put this in the Medium LR thread now, but left it here too.

Need a banter thread. Surprised no one posted about the 12z GFS - actual potential in not clown range. But in all seriousness, the 12z GEFS does have an intriguing look later next week, which would fit in the window Joe alluded to on the Medium LR thread. Beyond that, we'll see if things go to a favorable pattern for decent clippers/Pac hybrids. Overnight ENS pointed in that direction.

Attached is the composite mean 500 mb heights for December 2010. That had a bigger system (the Metrodome roof crusher) on the 11th-12th then trended to a good clipper pattern through the holidays. It was a Niña with a high end NAO block. We'll see if we have a relatively similar progression this month. The NAO block should have staying power given the forecast magnitude, so if snow can be put down it'll likely stick around.compday.qNXhgu1YMQ.gif.ecfbb528ad047d6bcb9e1bf53a6736f5.gif

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

this supports my early morning thoughts that warren weenied.:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Not too much longer and it'll be so busy in here everyone will forget all about the snooze fest. 

Edit: 18z GFS has nearly a foot in Wayne Cnty next weekend

Holy crap!  You weren't kidding.  

If I recall correctly, 2013-2014 started in a similar way.  Cold was forecast then it kind of took it's time a bit, and then WHAM!  

November of that year had a few cold out breaks around Thanksgiving, then It was up and down with a descent snow in early December before it got epic around the holidays.  

We shall see..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

If I recall correctly, 2013-2014 started in a similar way.  Cold was forecast then it kind of took it's time a bit, and then WHAM!  

November of that year had a few cold out breaks around Thanksgiving, then It was up and down with a descent snow in early December before it got epic around the holidays.  

We shall see..

Good memory on that, yep. Several dustings in Nov and early Dec, but the first solid SN with freezing high temps to go with was 12/8, followed by the substantial system on the 14th. That in my mind was the start of that truly epic snow season across most of SMI. As mentioned by RC, Dec 2010 was similar with the Big Dog getting things rolling.

NWS hazards map Dec '10 bliz.jpg

To change our December doldrums  we need these convoluted patterns to break our way:

QUITE A BIT OF DIFFERENCE AMONG THE MODELS THURSDAY ONWARD WITH  
TIMING/PHASING/LOCATION DIFFERENCES BUT THE PATTERN APPEARS TO  
BECOME MORE ACTIVE FOR THE LOCAL AREA. CHANCE POPS FOR MANY   
PERIODS LIKELY WARRANTED FOR NOW BUT CHANGES, PERHAPS SIGNIFICANT   
TO TIMING, CAN BE EXPECTED WITH LATER FORECASTS.-LOT

do it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Frog Town said:

We shall see..

What about 2014-2015? Mild and literally almost no measurable snowfall during December 2014. Wonder if we're here for a December 2014 redux. 

1 hour ago, chuckster2012 said:

Nothing good for most of us for at least 12 more days per GFS..

This month is shot.

1 hour ago, Spartman said:

What about 2014-2015? Mild and literally almost no measurable snowfall during December 2014. Wonder if we're here for a December 2014 redux. 

This month is shot.

Not like January's have been anything special either. One ('19) good since 2014's historic, all others avg to below. Now it all rides on Feb when sun angle and push of spring down south means "game over" for most on here. 

18 minutes ago, Baum said:

Looking good. When a dude that just posts random maps incessantly gets an audience karma will step in, always. 

There is an interesting setup for some snow Friday actually, models been hinting at it a bit with a low that goes south of both of us. Not every model is showing it but it is something to watch potentially during the week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

Extended at least delivers actual rain so that's nice, maybe some threats as we near xmas break

the step down with regular precip  chances setting the stage for a Big Dog  around mid month that will pull in the real cold. Expecting a Cold and White holiday season this year.:santa:

• Like 1