• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

To clarify my post just now is mostly because of ALL OTHER GUIDANCE. I agree with Brooklyn that this Gfs run was just noise at this range compared to 12z. The more disturbing evidence is that everything else is against it. Doesn’t mean it’s dead. I’m still interested. I’ve not given up. But it’s not super highly likely imo that the Gfs is correct against all other guidance. Not impossible but I’m not betting anything of value on it either. 
It's supposed to be a rare thing not to have a 50 50 low when their is a west based -nao....frustrating that this could be another spine runner

The difference in the set up btw the GFS and the Euro can be seen clearly here at the five day mark.  Look at the low pressure aloft over the North East Canada:

image.thumb.png.0b4897a04b7dc01a24d5fb52addf7bf0.png

This feature looks to steer the upper low diving south out of Canada all the way down in to Northern Alabama.

At the same time on the euro, there is ridging out in front of the upper level low which allows the storm to cut.

image.thumb.png.ff2e61cb9ff150fbebcaef6aba0cd46e.png

The 12Z/ 18Z GFS basically looked the same wrt to the overall upper air pattern.. definitely not a step towards the euro imho.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ji said:
18 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:
To clarify my post just now is mostly because of ALL OTHER GUIDANCE. I agree with Brooklyn that this Gfs run was just noise at this range compared to 12z. The more disturbing evidence is that everything else is against it. Doesn’t mean it’s dead. I’m still interested. I’ve not given up. But it’s not super highly likely imo that the Gfs is correct against all other guidance. Not impossible but I’m not betting anything of value on it either. 

It's supposed to be a rare thing not to have a 50 50 low when their is a west based -nao....frustrating that this could be another spine runner

Here is your puny '50-50' low squirting out into the NA as a ridge builds ahead of the deep upper low. This is how a "block" becomes ineffective.

1671807600-rm0Rs2MlG4k.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Here is your puny '50-50' low squirting out into the NA as a ridge builds ahead of the deep upper low. This is how a "block" becomes ineffective.

Some have said December is no longer a winter month.  How would this set up be different if it was January 23rd?  All things equal wouldn’t this still result in a coastal rain event.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Some have said December is no longer a winter month.  How would this set up be different if it was January 23rd?  All things equal wouldn’t this still result in a coastal rain event.  

The 6z GFS gave us a path to victory. The answer is a more significant vortex under the NAO ridge.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yea but my point was why are mid latitude ridges becoming so strong that the last several times we had a -NAO we had this issue with a mid lat ridge pumping all the way north far enough to link with the block. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnowGolfBro said:

We are in the game. Sure this thing could cut to Minneapolis or slide to Bermuda. But that is the song and dance for most trackable events around here. On to 0z.

If it was a mangled set up it would be easier.  But this is supposed to be the grail pattern.  It should be easier.  

Just now, BristowWx said:

If it was a mangled set up it would be easier.  But this is supposed to be the grail pattern.  It should be easier.  

I hear you. But even in the best setups, we still need some luck. I don’t think we need a lot to go right to hit this one big. Sometimes we are hoping for a miracle. Right now we just need the models to key in on a canonical look and get locked in! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea but my point was why are mid latitude ridges becoming so strong that the last several times we had a -NAO we had this issue with a mid lat ridge pumping all the way north far enough to link with the block. 

I think we know the answer to that question...

17 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

-4 AO. You'd think it would make things a little easier. I know there's more to it but seems like if 1 thing doesn't line up....

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Bluewave had mentioned this as a possible reason for recent inland runners and coastal huggers.  

37 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Like I said the other day, it will be interesting to see how this goes if we have a moderate Nino next winter. We usually see HL blocking and it has historically brought us more snow than avg in conjunction with an active STJ. If that combo can't work anymore then its time to move north I guess.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Terpeast said:

Feature to watch is the s/w riding over the alaska block (circled yellow)

If it stays strong and sharp, then we get a good solution per gfs. If it flattens and shears out like the 12z euro, we lose the storm. 

Butterfly effect.

6766EE33-2DEB-4146-A327-841455F7874C.jpeg

Jeez.  That little bend in the isobars will make or break this event even with that h5 look.