Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022

dmillz25

11 minutes ago, lee59 said:

The coldest air to our south and west has been the theme for months, indicating to me there really has been no pattern change  at least in regards to cold air and the east coast.

And the warmest air to our north and east.

And that has been a theme for several years now

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

Record warmth coming 

is this the same gospel that the snow storm and great pattern was coming in?

if it is, I’ll believe the depth and length when I see it :)

Time to start calling out the long term forecasts. They are talking points. Not fact. More often wrong than right. Almost always exaggerated on the cold and warm and wind and precip side.

Many 20 inch, 60 degree drop, 70 mph wind gusts that became 10, 30 and 50. and if you live on Long Island near the coast… all in the realm of normal in that they occur with frequency throughout the year.

• Like 4

Though the snow possibilities may be gone... is anyone concerned about the winds on Friday ahead of Christmas Eve?  I can imagine a travel clusterF, along with a boat load of $$ spent on food sitting in fridge...  of course if temps plummet one can store it outside... i did that a while ago...  but now have a 6500 Watt generator hooked up to my breaker panel...

9 minutes ago, s2sailorlis said:

Though the snow possibilities may be gone... is anyone concerned about the winds on Friday ahead of Christmas Eve?  I can imagine a travel clusterF, along with a boat load of $$ spent on food sitting in fridge...  of course if temps plummet one can store it outside... i did that a while ago...  but now have a 6500 Watt generator hooked up to my breaker panel...

Marine fcst here for what it is.

Fri
S winds 25 to 30 kt with gusts up to 40 kt. Seas 9 to 12 ft. Showers. Vsby 1 to 3 nm.
Fri Night
SW winds 25 to 30 kt with gusts up to 40 kt. Seas 9 to 14 ft. Chance of rain and snow showers. Vsby 1 to 3 n

16 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Time to start calling out the long term forecasts. They are talking points. Not fact. More often wrong than right. Almost always exaggerated on the cold and warm and wind and precip side.

Many 20 inch, 60 degree drop, 70 mph wind gusts that became 10, 30 and 50. and if you live on Long Island near the coast… all in the realm of normal in that they occur with frequency throughout the year.

It's getting infuriating.  We had a good pattern.  It didn't produce due to "nuances" that I won't explain bc no one cares to grasp it since it didn't snow much or at all in their location.  And some of it was just bad luck. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

if it is, I’ll believe the depth and length when I see it

giphy.gif

They’re a tool and a talking point, but they’re prone to historically incessant insanity.

There is one thing I'll be quietly monitoring. A piece of energy will be coming south after Christmas enhanced by the PNA ridge. 

Models aren't doing much with it now but we'll see if anything happens. Reason it's interesting is because usually there's a storm before there's a big change in the pattern. 

And I wonder if models are breaking down the ridge out west too quickly 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2022 at 4:59 PM, the_other_guy said:

Then you missed all the posts commenting on how the big cold and snowy pattern was always 11-15 days away on the ensembles since late November. This has been the model bias for the last 90 days .You can find all my previous posts commenting on how it needs to start showing up under 8-10 days to be believable. As to the warm up showing up near the end of the month, it’s now coming into the under 10 day range which is more accurate. 

1C55C21A-E979-48B5-8F58-00471AF95F72.png.dc28966ea1c35dbb278b33ed8cd0221f.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Rjay said:

It's getting infuriating.  We had a good pattern.  It didn't produce due to "nuances" that I won't explain bc no one cares to grasp it since it didn't snow much or at all in their location.  And some of it was just bad luck. 

When some here were hyping, bluewave did a great job explaining the nuances and model biases that put us at serious risk of not getting anything out of the December pattern. No one is saying it wasn't a decent pattern, but a truly great pattern never got to a close enough range that would be worthy of a lot of hyping. 

• Like 2

This alleged warmup after the holiday cold snap looks like a 10-15 day event with zonal flow from Pacific across the continent, it will be mild (40s to low 50s) but maybe not record mild.  Tends to be a dry pattern also with weak frontal systems. Similar events in Jan 1948 and 1961 dominated first halves of months that turned bitterly cold later, with coastal storm opportunities.  Or perhaps this goes a bit more like Jan 1982 which had a mild opening week before deep cold and coastal storms developed after about the 8th. So it may not be such a bad thing to see this pattern change across the west, could reset a good pattern in the climatological peak of winter. We have been consistently 4-8 F below normal around here since about 20th of October, and it is particularly cold today (current mid-afternoon reading 5F or -15C with 45 cm snow cover).

CFS coastal? Not gonna happen, at least not with that intensity. The big story will be that very sharp temperature drop on the 23rd. My guess, 57F noon, 32F 6 p.m., 18F midnight. Will run a program on NYC data base to find largest day to day differentials in max temp, 23rd-24th may give whatever record exists there a run. Maybe that Nov 1911 event would win top prize. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rjay said:

It’s insufferable in here. I’ve almost completely checked out. 

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

When some here were hyping, bluewave did a great job explaining the nuances and model biases that put us at serious risk of not getting anything out of the December pattern. No one is saying it wasn't a decent pattern, but a truly great pattern never got to a close enough range that would be worthy of a lot of hyping. 

Completely disagree with that assertion. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

I want to make sure this gets noticed: by all who have interest in GFS model snow fall in the United States.  The model update on 11/30/22 I think is resulting in improved snowfall prediction. It certainly was a cyclically very good performer here in the NYC subforum coverage for 12/15-16. It's picking up on warm ground and elevations better. 

Attached are some notes from a recent presentation: I only snapped the primary conclusions.

Note: Using 10 to 1 is not going to be a consistently good approach, especially warm thickness (1000-500MB 540DM or higher) snows and/or temps 32-34F. This presentation also references Tropical Tidbits Positive Snow Depth Change (SNOD in NCEP language).

Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 6.00.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 6.01.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 6.04.13 PM.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

as far as anything to keep half an eye on over the next few days, I suppose the wave early next week would be worth it

it's too progressive verbatim, but this is the type of thing that models do a pretty bad job with at this range. this is a pretty strong S/W and could pose a threat if it rounds the corner. obviously, this is difficult given the +PNA deamplifying, but this could change given the lead time

so, pretty low chance, but it's something to peek at given the very cold air in place as well as a regime change as the block fades

also worth it given that we're going to absolutely torch after this chance through the New Year

ecmwf-deterministic-conus-vort500_z500-1671451200-1671991200-1672164000-20.thumb.gif.50563cd2437ed90290b2a6d9fb236c98.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2