Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

37 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

i really hope the govt doesn't do the final push to end DLS beginning next Fall. While it would be nice to have an extra daylight hour, it would also be dark for the commute into work

The amount of daylight hours will be the same.   My soph year in hs the country remained on DLS rather than switch back to Standard time. It was awful. On cloudy/stormy days it remained dark to at least mid morning Kids were falling asleep in class.  It was just odd looking out the window at 930 or so in the morning and noticing how dark it still was.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Lol -15C 850s into Virginia.  Ginxy’s cold shot.  Even DIT might freeze in that type of look.

CEBC0693-7409-4FC3-B835-781A96758636.thumb.png.947c62ad1b886717c2530efafd4fcbdf.png

I really do hope this is pushed out into the future as far as possible. I love a good storm as much as anyone, but I’m very sympathetic to people who will be unable to heat their homes for no cause of their own. 

heating oil up 75% vs this time last year.  Pretty much anyone in the middle class is seeing their after tax raise get wiped out by this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I really do hope this is pushed out into the future as far as possible. I love a good storm as much as anyone, but I’m very sympathetic to people who will be unable to heat their homes for no cause of their own. 

heating oil up 75% vs this time last year.  Pretty much anyone in the middle class is seeing their after tax raise get wiped out by this.

If all Popes just rode mopeds , would that help out?

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

27F and frozen again.  Another 40 degree drop off the 67F high temp yesterday.

Like some Colorado valley weather lately with these consistent big swings.

Last 2 days:  57/23 and 62/26.  Upper 20s this morning so another 30+ diurnal swing in the works, not bad for late Oct.  Today's PC breaks a string of 4 sunny days, almost unheard of at this time of year.  The month has had 16 sunny days,4 more than any of the previous 24 Octobers here - ironic for a month with AN precip.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

The amount of daylight hours will be the same.   My soph year in hs the country remained on DLS rather than switch back to Standard time. It was awful. On cloudy/stormy days it remained dark to at least mid morning Kids were falling asleep in class.  It was just odd looking out the window at 930 or so in the morning and noticing how dark it still was.

You know what’s more awful? It being dark at 4 PM. Everyone is forced to stay inside and get diabetes as a result!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Weather_or_Not said:

You know what’s more awful? It being dark at 4 PM. Everyone is forced to stay inside and get diabetes as a result!

8 minutes ago, Weather_or_Not said:

C'mon, no one is forced to stay inside because it is dark lol....what is this the 1500's?? lol  At that time of the day gyms begin to get crowded with the after school and work crowd. 

And there is this new craze called working out at home. You may have heard of it during the past 3 years????   For $200 someone can purchase weights, exercise bands, and a stationary bike. Also there are plenty of people who go running when it is dark

No one, repeat no one is getting diabetes because it gets dark early.. Laziness has nothing to do with it being dark early. Laziness is a choice regardless of when the sun rises or sets..

22 hours ago, Weather_or_Not said:

Especially in Fort Kent.  We only saw bare ground during December 2 of 9 years, 1979 and 1982, but clouds and bare ground on Dec 10 meant nearly dark by 2:30 even though sunset was more than an hour later.  Early summer sunsets after 9 PM made up for it.  :D

38 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Especially in Fort Kent.  We only saw bare ground during December 2 of 9 years, 1979 and 1982, but clouds and bare ground on Dec 10 meant nearly dark by 2:30 even though sunset was more than an hour later.  Early summer sunsets after 9M made up for it.  :D

Yeah the getting dark early sucks.  Really limits outdoor/active time.  Gets to be headlamp season just to walk the dog.  Gone are the hiking from 7-9pm days of summer, lol.

Sure one can go to the gym or do sit-ups in their living room, but not the same as getting outside.

11 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Maybe genetics, daily Starbucks lattes, fast food and laziness over 4pm sunsets?

Kids test better in school with early daylight, and are more likely to be obese, depressed and sedentary with that early darkness.  Pick the poison, ha.

Its always a big topic in the northern tier rural zones.  I had an entire UVM course around the Maine Winter Sports Center and combating lack of activity in kids (and their parents) during the darkest and coldest times of the year.  Got some great trips out of that class to Fort Kent, lol.

I’ve always wondered how activity levels after school and work would be if we could combine heat with low daylight.  Like gets dark at 4pm but it’s still 80F at 8pm.  Does that change routines of basically hibernating (especially more rural communities) during the dark time of year.

• Like 2