• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First Weather Related All-Nighter

40/70 Benchmark

I have had some snow events where I was almost up all night prior to Katrina, but as far as watching an event unfold...it was Katrina for me. We know it weakened, but I think the flooding aspect was what I wanted to see. It sounds like a sick notion to have....but as a weather fan....you get it.

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I have had some snow events where I was almost up all night prior to Katrina, but as far as watching an event unfold...it was Katrina for me. We know it weakened, but I think the flooding aspect was what I wanted to see. It sounds like a sick notion to have....but as a weather fan....you get it.

I can't believe that you slept through Andrew....did you live in Tolland in the early 90s?

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

:lol:   Yeah not sure why. I think it was more to the fact that we knew it was going to be bad, but no idea a CAT 5. 

We had originally thought that it peaked at 150mph in the western Bahamas (we're else?), before fluxuating back to 140mph just before hitting FL.

There was an event in 2013 where the European model insisted on there being potential for a massive blizzard a week out. I pulled multiple all nighters tracking that due to how much snow the euro was projecting, I had never seen anything like it (was fairly new to tracking and we came off a really mild winter). The gfs disagreed, but the Euro didn’t back down. The euro had multiple runs in a row bringing a monster blizzard with feet of snow to the area. Eventually the other models realized that that slow moving Miller B low wasn’t going out to sea, but it was going to undergo rapid cyclogenesis and come up the coast. The Euro nailed what ended up becoming the historic Feb 2013 blizzard (Nemo) a week out.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Not even January 2005 where in Taunton?

I wonder what @ORH_wxman's response is to this...

I didn't stay up all night for that one either haha. Probably only a few hours sleep though. The last true one for me, was Feb 2013. Will and I weenied out in that one.  That Oct storm in 2021 was close for me, but slept a couple of hours. That was more due to power out and the sound of the wind. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I didn't stay up all night for that one either haha. Probably only a few hours sleep though. The last true one for me, was Feb 2013. Will and I weenied out in that one.  That Oct storm in 2021 was close for me, but slept a couple of hours. That was more due to power out and the sound of the wind. :lol: 

I actually stayed up all night in the lead up to the January blizzard last year, but I realized early in the AM that it would suck for me and was fast asleep by noon.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, George001 said:

There was an event in 2013 where the European model insisted on there being potential for a massive blizzard a week out. I pulled multiple all nighters tracking that due to how much snow the euro was projecting, I had never seen anything like it (was fairly new to tracking and we came off a really mild winter). The gfs disagreed, but the Euro didn’t back down. The euro had multiple runs in a row bringing a monster blizzard with feet of snow to the area. Eventually the other models realized that that slow moving Miller B low wasn’t going out to sea, but it was going to undergo rapid cyclogenesis and come up the coast. The Euro nailed what ended up becoming the historic Feb 2013 blizzard (Nemo) a week out.

I was up most of the night for that one, maybe dozed off for a couple hours in my chair, closest I've come. If we get another hurricane I may do an all nighter.

• Like 1

First true weather-related all-nighter was March 2001 storm.....I had come close in Dec 1996 and Apr 1997, but didn't make it. Prob went to sleep around 3am for both.

Don't think I've pulled an all nighter since the Feb 2013 blizzard though. I've done plenty of alarms at 2-3am since then though (most notable was setting the alarm for 3/4/19....and was rewarded with seeing 4-5" per hour stuff).

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Wow...this is a great question. Not even sure. The one that distinctly comes to mind is the December 2008 ice storm. Was assisting BOX HAM Radio/skywarn team with damage reports and I'll never forget it being like 9:00-10:00 AM and then all of a sudden it was like 5:00 AM. 

When it’s gettin good during an event it’s impossible to sleep. The adrenaline just kicks into overdrive.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

When it’s gettin good during an event it’s impossible to sleep. The adrenaline just kicks into overdrive.

Yup lol.

I remember listening to the police scanners in and around Worcester and it was just non-stop reports of damage coming in. Couldn't keep up with it. 

There were certainly some winter storms too I stayed up all night for (The 2013 one for sure). 

Not sure if this counts but prior to December 1, 2006 I remember staying up for two days straight because the SPC outlined us in a risk for severe weather like 3-4 days out and I was pumped so I didn't go to bed for two days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Wow...this is a great question. Not even sure. The one that distinctly comes to mind is the December 2008 ice storm. Was assisting BOX HAM Radio/skywarn team with damage reports and I'll never forget it being like 9:00-10:00 AM and then all of a sudden it was like 5:00 AM. 

I remember when you developed that HAM fetish lol

• Like 1