Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Tracking the Tropics

40/70 Benchmark

44 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

WxWatcher should be fine , probably just sleeping or lost power . He was in a good spot to see winds and low pressure but not on the ocean side or close to ocean (regarding risk from surge /surf) of this beast 

Anyone find storm surge video From folks on ocean side 

Yo

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

My early impression is that '38 was significantly worse, though this was a strong hit.

I think that’s going to end up right. Very impressive storm, maybe even a benchmark for Canada, but not sure how destructive inland winds have been yet. 1938 literally wiped out millions of trees. 

Surge and wave damage looks high end.

I’m getting it good here but other places are getting obliterated along the surge prone coastline. Water is almost always the headliner. 

14 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I think that’s going to end up right. Very impressive storm, maybe even a benchmark for Canada, but not sure how destructive inland winds have been yet. 1938 literally wiped out millions of trees. 

Surge and wave damage looks high end.

I’m getting it good here but other places are getting obliterated along the surge prone coastline. Water is almost always the headliner. 

I think the main difference was that this didn't move nearly as fast as '38, which allowed for the drop to relatively modest wind intensity on approach.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

My early impression is that '38 was significantly worse, though this was a strong hit.

My guess is that Fiona had more time to become extratropical and traveled further north before land interaction.  The 38 hurricane was probably more tropical when it hit the south coast of NE. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

My guess is that Fiona had more time to become extratropical and traveled further north before land interaction.  The 38 hurricane was probably more tropical when it hit the south coast of NE. 

Exactly. If Fiona had hit us, it would have rivaled '38.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Wish we lived there. 

Man, why would you want to live there. Imagine what those people are going through right now. And if that happened here and all those trees came down, imagine the amount of money time and stress that would cause all of us. Trust me, it's cool to see and I love a big storm, but that damage and what it's doing to people is not cool. If it does come this way and it happens I'll have you come and clean up all the damage for me though .. Lol

• Confused 2

18 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Man, why would you want to live there. Imagine what those people are going through right now. And if that happened here and all those trees came down, imagine the amount of money time and stress that would cause all of us. Trust me, it's cool to see and I love a big storm, but that damage and what it's doing to people is not cool. If it does come this way and it happens I'll have you come and clean up all the damage for me though .. Lol

The weenies amongst them are reveling in it and will happily tell their grandchildren in years hence.

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Wish we lived there. 

You live through something like that once then believe me, you never want to again. NYC area after Sandy was mostly pure hell for a month after especially where the surge hit. My town had no drinkable water for 10 days and no power for a month along with the huge surge damage. And Fiona was worse for these people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Don't even bother...

‘38 was moving faster than 40mph? 

Try 60mph. And it was a stronger storm during its tropical origins. It almost certainly had a fully intact inner core during its first land fall on eastern Long Island. I don’t think the lowest pressure was sampled either and was probably similar to Fiona. So both peak wind and surge were higher but in a small area just east of the track.
What fiona had that 38 didn’t, was a much larger wind field and a lot more captured fetch. Hence the Terrible damage east of you along the coast.
Regardless when winds are over 100mph your going to cause failure of almost all hardwood trees.

• Sad 1