Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Tracking the Tropics

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

That was the original plan. It was about 35ft ASL so I figured it’d be fine from surge. Hotel decided to shut down and I don’t really blame them given the topography there and lack of guidance on surge potential. 

When I chase I have multiple options so now I’m on the other side of Cape Breton. Probably not ideal because for higher end wind because I’m on the left side of the track, but what I trade with wind (which probably isn’t much based on what I see so far) I gain with a closer center pass. Hopefully.

No matter what, this is undoubtedly going to be a high end event for this region. Potential all timer. 

Awesome. Good luck! I'm sure it's going to be memorable.

Thanks. The thing I worry about most is my current location deciding to shut down and kick me out tomorrow lol. 

My bet is Canso for eye landfall. It’s on the mainland but it might be best as the causeway might get damaged or even destroyed. Best of luck. I’m going to hunker down at home. Got too much to worry about here to go chasing this. I’m sure I’ll get sone decent winds and hvy rain.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hazey said:

My bet is Canso for eye landfall. It’s on the mainland but it might be best as the causeway might get damaged or even destroyed. Best of luck. I’m going to hunker down at home. Got too much to worry about here to go chasing this. I’m sure I’ll get sone decent winds and hvy rain.

Thanks and I agree. Hopefully the causeway isn't damaged because then I'm here a little longer than I'd like :lol: 

Best of luck out there. 

48 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I’m heading down to RI tomorrow. The swell just bumped a little at the Texas tower bouy About 50 miles S of Long Island . 6 ft @ 14 seconds which is a larger breaking wave and that will build .  I anticipate a peak tommorrow around 9 feet at 16 seconds which I think is up to a 15 foot face  

Will be at Weekapaug after noon

29 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Not really any way we can get Hermie to go west of us with trough and front coming in. That Euro solution would be boring with a cold rainy little wind deal

there's a high pressure settling into GL and Northeast.basically zero chance in that setup for anything riding up the coast as a strong storm. only shot is the storm is slower and the trough digs in faster after the HP moves out

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Not really any way we can get Hermie to go west of us with trough and front coming in. That Euro solution would be boring with a cold rainy little wind deal

Its crazy how many knowledgeable people just can't wrap their minds around the fact that a tropical system skirting SNE to the east is NBD in terms of wind. They see the pretty picture with the low near the cape and just lose their minds.

This system as no chance to do what people are hoping it does.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I guess a nasty  nor’easter is possible. 

Absolutely....it can track up the coast and gives us a breezy deluge, or it can track near/off of the coast and be a good nor' easter, but it isn't going to hit dead on as a hurricane. Will some models threaten with that? Probably.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its crazy how many knowledgeable people just can't wrap their minds around the fact that a tropical system skirting SNE to the east is NBD in terms of wind. They see the pretty picture with the low near the cape and just lose their minds.

This system as no chance to do what people are hoping it does.

It has to cut west of us .. like Isaias two years ago . That’s how you get damage with SE winds screaming 60-70mph . I don’t see this setup being able have a storm cut inland with all these cold fronts coming 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It has to cut west of us .. like Isaias two years ago . That’s how you get damage with SE winds screaming 60-70mph . I don’t see this setup being able have a storm cut inland with all these cold fronts coming 

Yup. Nova Scotia will be sent back to the age of the Vikings…we get a breezy rainy day at best.

Ahh we’ll take what we can get I guess.