Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June pattern and forecast discussion

weathafella

22 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I like what I see, so far....getting 2000, 2009 kind of vibes this warm season. Least mother nature can do for me after these past several butt-plug winters.

Two weeks from today days begin drifting back to the shorted end of the spectrum, and the sun begins to fade...tic, tock...each day in this pattern burns more of solar max.

I’m loving these low dew warm days with cool nights that have dominated the past several weeks though. Keep that coming. I’ll take a hot stretch in July to do some beach stuff with the fam but other than that, I have no use for SA infested cloudy weekday mornings with torrential downpours in the evening. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m loving these low dew warm days with cool nights that have dominated the past several weeks though. Keep that coming. I’ll take a hot stretch in July to do some beach stuff with the fam but other than that, I have no use for SA infested cloudy weekday mornings with torrential downpours in the evening. 

Serious question, not a troll , this has to be one of the nicest springs we've had in a long long time?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Serious question, not a troll , this has to be one of the nicest springs we've had in a long long time?

It's fine. We'll take low to mid 70's with a few scorchers mixed in. 

What we don't want is unsettled and 60's all summer, like 2009. Or on the opposite end of the spectrum like 2012

5 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I agree but I enjoy this time of year most seasons… we tend to be further away from the Atlantic mank and get over the top warmth.

Running +1 to +5 in the spring to early summer is a fine climo to live in around these parts.  A lot of highs in the 70s when normals were 60s.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Sept heat doesn’t have the same bite though and agree, the evenings from mid August onward already have that early fall vibe going. Growing up, I always viewed summeh starting MWD and ending LBW. We’re already pushing into mid June without a sustained summer look so we’ll get a hot stretch in July and early Aug before we begin the step down. 

Yea, September heat is like March cold.....yea, you can get it, but its intensity and residence time is reduced by the changing sun angle.

11 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea, this has been the perfect warm season, so far...if they were all like this, then I wouldn't mind it as much.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

First half of September can have some nasty humidity iirc from past years.

Yeah September has felt much more uncomfortable than May/June but the seasonal lag that 40/70 mentioned makes a lot of sense.  I feel like the dews linger into October too.

• Like 1

Some of these meso runs ( albeit outside their better performance windows) look suspect for EOFies on Thursday. 

Seeing a precarious warm frontal arm NW of NYC-BOS axis over the interior, with a potent mid level jet relay moving along it during the morning and early afternoon... It's not a slam dunk look for that, no.  But having a low moving along that axis with mid level jet feeds portrays wet warm sector with low lcls intruded into the ORH/SE areas.

The NAM wants more of strata rain with embedded convective stripes ...those can be prolific rainers over short durations as a ball sequences through...but I'd remind that it was system(s) like this that brought unusual convection and even tor results over SE zones, Cape and the Islands over recent years.   Not sure this sort of climo/local studies event is SPC's thing so don't bother -

Tomorrow's a sneaking humid day -

Looks like residual debris band if not ongoing elevated instability moving through in the overnight/predawn, then tends to allow sun punch through into a fresh moisture ... I dunno.    Machine (MEX) didn't look too impressive at 60F, but synoptics and experience together argues for a richer experience than that.  T1 on the NAM has +24C at Logan at 18Z-21Z (in full sun the 2-meter's about 27 in reality!) on a wind from 260 ( W by WSW..), with no advecting sourc of drying air.  Not sure why the machine has DP less than the overnight lows in/after .5" in QPF has fallen.  Seems a bit off.  we'll see..  and unless there's a high cirrus problem ...we're getting some pretty tall hard sun shining into a theta-e rich lower level. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I like what I see, so far....getting 2000, 2009 kind of vibes this warm season. Least mother nature can do for me after these past several butt-plug winters.

Two weeks from today days begin drifting back to the shorted end of the spectrum, and the sun begins to fade...tic, tock...each day in this pattern burns more of solar max.

Remember as the days shorten, the heat worsens!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, weathafella said:

You could be the only normal person here.....including me!

Today feels like summer but for the heat haters it’s not at all extreme.

I like the extremes in short bursts though.  The novelty of it.  But the older I get the less desire I have to be outside in uncomfortable weather.  Used to love the challenge of working on the mountain at -30F or 90F and humid…. like a challenge.  Now it’s like if it could stay between 20F and 80F annually we’re all set even not working outside anymore… aka boring deflated weenie.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, September heat is like March cold.....yea, you can get it, but its intensity and residence time is reduced by the changing sun angle.

I'll buy residence time but not intensity (at the extremes, anyway.)  Most recent day reaching 95 at the Farmington co-op was on Sept 9, 2002, and Sept 1999 featured several days with dews 70+.  Marc 6, 2007 had an afternoon high of -2 at my place (spoiled by a cheap evening max) with strong winds, and 3/11/17 was even windier with an afternoon max at zero (also spoiled by the pervious evening.)  On that latter blast, Jackman with its 7 AM obs time showed a high of -6.  Those 2 cold March days were the bitterest (aft high and WCI) of their respective winters.

16 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I'll buy residence time but not intensity (at the extremes, anyway.)  Most recent day reaching 95 at the Farmington co-op was on Sept 9, 2002, and Sept 1999 featured several days with dews 70+.  Marc 6, 2007 had an afternoon high of -2 at my place (spoiled by a cheap evening max) with strong winds, and 3/11/17 was even windier with an afternoon max at zero (also spoiled by the pervious evening.)  On that latter blast, Jackman with its 7 AM obs time showed a high of -6.  Those 2 cold March days were the bitterest (aft high and WCI) of their respective winters.

What I mean by extreme is all-time type record heat.

I think we all understand that intense cold and heat can still occur in March and September, respectively, but the ceiling (floor) is not as extreme as July (January).

• Thanks 1