Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,530
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
    Joined

Probably The 13th Lawn Thread 2022


Damage In Tolland
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

They did mine as well, per your referral.  Not great but was sort of our only choice as it was the last week before they closed for winter.  It's not a dense as prior driveway was and there are already bumps in it.  Never had that in last driveway in 20 years.

 

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Is there a warranty?

Damn, didn’t know yours was not great Bob, that sucks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The based prep and gravel under the asphalt are what makes the job good and last a long time.  If there isn't good or enough gravel under the area to be paved,  strip out at least 6-8 inches of material and replace it with graded gravel and compact it.  Most parking lots are designed and constructed with 12 inches of gravel, 12 inches is what I would consider the gold standard for a regular driveway.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I have a patch in my backyard maybe 3 ft by 3ft that dies every year. Not dormant. It goes bare. Same spot, ever year, towards mid summer.

Could there be a large boulder underground that is just close enough to the surface to be retaining heat and killing the grass?

Might be because I have no idea what would cause that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Might be because I have no idea what would cause that. 

Same.

This lot was the last lot to be built on, so all kids of junk was thrown here while the other houses were being built I’d imagine.

Every time I dig a hole for any plants or whatever it’s a Herculean effort because of all the rocks and what not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Same.

This lot was the last lot to be built on, so all kids of junk was thrown here while the other houses were being built I’d imagine.

Every time I dig a hole for any plants or whatever it’s a Herculean effort because of all the rocks and what not.

That's New England, you wouldn't believe the amount of rocks I dug up when I put my lawn in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

That's New England, you wouldn't believe the amount of rocks I dug up when I put my lawn in.

I live in a town called Graniteville. There are giant piles of waste granite all over, leftover from the quarries. My lot was built up with the same stuff. I always think about the reaction pioneers must have had when they got to the Midwest. Just to realize there was flat ground that wasn’t filled with rocks had to have been like witnessing a miracle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I have a patch in my backyard maybe 3 ft by 3ft that dies every year. Not dormant. It goes bare. Same spot, ever year, towards mid summer.

Could there be a large boulder underground that is just close enough to the surface to be retaining heat and killing the grass?

Old septic systems are notorious for causing random dry spots during dry spells but that causes it to go dormant, not dead. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2022 at 9:13 AM, IrishRob17 said:

Old septic systems are notorious for causing random dry spots during dry spells but that causes it to go dormant, not dead. 

Above the tank would probably be the place, as its top is usually within 12-18" of the surface.  The leach field might actually enhance growth.  :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After using a roto tiller a few weeks ago and basically starting over in the front yard, I’m finally starting to see some grass grow. It looks horrific with some areas growing and others not, but I guess patience is key?

Meanwhile, the back has the opposite problem and needs a more powerful mower lol. 

First time homeownership. :lol: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...