Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Probably The 13th Lawn Thread 2022

Damage In Tolland

On 9/10/2022 at 8:55 AM, moneypitmike said:

Now that things have greened back up (incredibly quickly), what's the thinking on a fall application?  I'm concerned that if we return to a dry spell, that could cause problems.

Thanks.

Try some organic fertilizer. I have been using this which is made from scraps from a distillery. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Purely-Organic-Products-25-lb-Lawn-Food-Fertilizer-LFJRDK1/204279747

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Sounds absolutely awful 

Kids playing soccer while bees hover over a yard packed of dandelions tickling their shins just isn’t an appealing way to enjoy the property. I’m not one to advocate for heavy chemical use but a little yearly fertz, overseeding, and aeration…and the lawn is enjoyable. 

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Sounds absolutely awful 

20 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Kids playing soccer while bees hover over a yard packed of dandelions tickling their shins just isn’t an appealing way to enjoy the property. I’m not one to advocate for heavy chemical use but a little yearly fertz, overseeding, and aeration…and the lawn is enjoyable. 

Definitely awful.

Lawn is plenty enjoyable without all that but I appreciate your concern.

Screenshot_20220912-093126_Gallery.jpg

13 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Definitely awful.

Lawn is plenty enjoyable without all that but I appreciate your concern.

Screenshot_20220912-093126_Gallery.jpg

Looks good. Some lawns can definitely get away with it. But around here I see some lawns during the growing season that would be brutal to let the kids run around in. Again, I don’t recommend nor like to use heavy chemicals but annual aerating and overseeding does wonders, and that’s natural. I’lll fertilize once in spring and once in the fall too because of the high weed infestation. 

9 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Looks good. Some lawns can definitely get away with it. But around here I see some lawns during the growing season that would be brutal to let the kids run around in. Again, I don’t recommend nor like to use heavy chemicals but annual aerating and overseeding does wonders, and that’s natural. I’lll fertilize once in spring and once in the fall too because of the high weed infestation. 

Thanks. And for sure, I see them too.  I think if you keep the growth short, it's not an issue with bees.   We also have a ton of other flowers outside the yard that keep the bees out of the play area, even when the white clover is in bloom.  I only made it 20 days or so into no-mow-May, because, yeah, that was NSFKids.

Nothing wrong with aerating and overseeding, like you said, it's natural.  I can trace the drainage from this yard straight to the bay 3 miles away, so no chemicals here either.

Just now, tunafish said:

Thanks. And for sure, I see them too.  I think if you keep the growth short, it's not an issue with bees.   We also have a ton of other flowers outside the yard that keep the bees out of the play area, even when the white clover is in bloom.  I only made it 20 days or so into no-mow-May, because, yeah, that was NSFKids.

Nothing wrong with aerating and overseeding, like you said, it's natural.  I can trace the drainage from this yard straight to the bay 3 miles away, so no chemicals here either.

I also began using organic fertilizer which apparently is eco friendly, to what extent…I don’t know. I only use it in my front yard but it’s probably safer than scotts or other brands.

I don’t need a golf course but I do like a healthy looking turf for the kids. It’s not even about curb appeal since we are so far back from the road, no one sees it anyway. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tunafish said:

Clover can take a beating as well. And like you said, if you cut it frequently it'll struggle to flower. I just like to let it get long a couple of times for the bees and for it to drop new seed for the next year.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Isn't this time where grubs can be present and start to chew on the roots before going deeper for the winter? Wondering if I should treat. I had done it in the Spring and the lawn looks pretty good right now.

with your history of "growing" grass, I would suggest doing it now. i just treated my lawn, although it is late in the season I wanted to get it down prior to aerating

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

with your history of "growing" grass, I would suggest doing it now. i just treated my lawn, although it is late in the season I wanted to get it down prior to aerating

I've checked recently for them and have not seen any, but will check this week. Would rather not put more chems down than necessary.

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

I've checked recently for them and have not seen any, but will check this week. Would rather not put more chems down than necessary.

Early fall is the better of the two times of year to apply, but if you don't have visible grub damage (or are only finding 1 or 2 if you dig up some sod), you don't need to apply.   Not chemicals, but I get what you're saying.  They're pricey, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Clover can take a beating as well. And like you said, if you cut it frequently it'll struggle to flower. I just like to let it get long a couple of times for the bees and for it to drop new seed for the next year.

I love it, wish it would take over more of my lawn than it already has.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

dethatched/aerated/and overseeded on Saturday. I use the Sun Joe for the dethatching and it works great for the price, the only con being it's electric and you have to manuever the extension cord.

I plan on throwing some milorganite down this week to aid in the growth this fall. I'm glad it rained today, but hopefully we can score some more tomorrow. 

A question I have is can I still apply  the Scotts Winterguard Turf Builder later in the fall, or is that a bad idea since I'm dropping Milorganite now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthCoastMA said:

dethatched/aerated/and overseeded on Saturday. I use the Sun Joe for the dethatching and it works great for the price, the only con being it's electric and you have to manuever the extension cord.

I plan on throwing some milorganite down this week to aid in the growth this fall. I'm glad it rained today, but hopefully we can score some more tomorrow. 

A question I have is can I still apply  the Scotts Winterguard Turf Builder later in the fall, or is that a bad idea since I'm dropping Milorganite now. 

Bob recommended the sun joe to me and I just used it last weekend. Thing was awesome. I bought a 75 ft extension cord and had my dad kind of guide the cord around so I didn’t have to screw with it. For being electric, the thing is damn powerful. If it really digs in it can take you for a ride.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Anybody know anything about driveways?

Got a quote for a new one and they put 2” binder down with 1.5” top coat. Is that typical?

Get multiple quotes. The paving industry has more scam artists in it than any other line of contracting work. Numerous ex-cons work in the paving business. Contact your local police department to find out if they have any complaints against the contractor that you are considering hiring to do the work. 

Talk with neighbors and friends who have had paving work done. 

Do not pay for the work upfront. Do not pay in cash.

Be sure to be home when the work is being done. After your old driveway is ripped out, inspect the site. If the area is wet then it has to dry out before any paving can begin. At the same time check to see how much gravel is there. Gravel may need to be added.

And at this point you are somewhat past the best time of the year to have a driveway paved. The conditions aren't as favorable as during the late spring and summer.

Contact the Attorney General's Office to find out the history of any company that you are considering hiring.

Contact the BBB also:

BBB Scam Alert: Need a new driveway? Look out for asphalt paving scams

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Anybody know anything about driveways?

Got a quote for a new one and they put 2” binder down with 1.5” top coat. Is that typical?

https://asphaltdrivewaysolutions.com

I had these guys redo my driveway last year. Couldn’t be happier. They didn’t do the driveway right when they built the house before I moved… it was only a “base” layer, and the transition to the road was an absolute disaster.

They added 2” of new material to the top and tied it into the road beautifully… looks like it was done yesterday a year later.

Price was fair, a little higher than the other quotes, but the reviews and reputation made it worth it.

I referred him to Bob and he actually did Bobs driveway shortly after.

28 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

https://asphaltdrivewaysolutions.com

I had these guys redo my driveway last year. Couldn’t be happier. They didn’t do the driveway right when they built the house before I moved… it was only a “base” layer, and the transition to the road was an absolute disaster.

They added 2” of new material to the top and tied it into the road beautifully… looks like it was done yesterday a year later.

Price was fair, a little higher than the other quotes, but the reviews and reputation made it worth it.

I referred him to Bob and he actually did Bobs driveway shortly after.

They did mine as well, per your referral.  Not great but was sort of our only choice as it was the last week before they closed for winter.  It's not a dense as prior driveway was and there are already bumps in it.  Never had that in last driveway in 20 years.

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

They did mine as well, per your referral.  Not great but was sort of our only choice as it was the last week before they closed for winter.  It's not a dense as prior driveway was and there are already bumps in it.  Never had that in last driveway in 20 years.

Is there a warranty?