• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Probably The 13th Lawn Thread 2022

Damage In Tolland

Mowed the whole front, back and side yards.  The grass was super long and wet.  Wasn’t sure if my EGo electric mower would be up to the task but it handled it.   This was the first time the battery ever made it to “low” since I e had it.  But it never ran out even though I tackled the whole thing 

35 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Mowed the whole front, back and side yards.  The grass was super long and wet.  Wasn’t sure if my EGo electric mower would be up to the task but it handled it.   This was the first time the battery ever made it to “low” since I e had it.  But it never ran out even though I tackled the whole thing 

I had the basic size battery run out after 3/4 of the lawn last mow, but it was long and thick. I could easily charge and trim/edge and be ready to finish when that's done. The kids could even play outside while I mowed without worrying about the noise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

@tamarack  Do you know what might this be? I have an oak that doesn’t look that great. The leaves are sort of curled at the end and break off. Fungus?

166EED30-C70C-41F0-8F1F-8B05CD2F1744.jpeg

D3B665CC-7046-40B2-B117-6EC6956445B4.jpeg

Looks more like a defoliating insect, though neither Gypsy moth (can't recall the new name) or browntail moth.  I don't think it's a bug that will strip the tree, but other than that guess, I've no idea exactly what it is.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I had the basic size battery run out after 3/4 of the lawn last mow, but it was long and thick. I could easily charge and trim/edge and be ready to finish when that's done. The kids could even play outside while I mowed without worrying about the noise.

They are so quiet.   You can actually have a conversation with a person outside.  

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Nice. 

I bought a bat plant. I look forward to near continuous disappointment over the next few years until I throw it away.

Did you ever try growing these?

https://sheffields.com/seeds-for-sale/Strelitzia/reginae///////1411/Bird-of-paradise,-Queen-s-Bird-of-Paradise,-Queen-s-Bird-of-Paradise/Bird-of-paradise,-Queen-s-Bird-of-Paradise,-Queen-s-Bird-of-Paradise

Almost got some seeds in my last seed purchase.

Just now, dendrite said:

Yes. It was about 3 feet tall when I got it and grew to about 10 feet tall over 4 years. Never flowered. Burst the pot it was in on two separate occasions. Ultimately I tossed it because every new leaf failed to unwrap itself without getting all torn up.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Can you do those up there? I have some soil and sunny areas that I think help locally. 

Hydrangeas or that one specifically? I have one that grows like a weed. I pruned it back a couple years ago and it put a lot of new growth back on but the deer got some of it. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BrianW said:

My hydrangeas look terrible this year. I think it's because they were showing leaves in like early March this year and then they got hit with some cold. 

20220613-112654.jpg

Could be. Those types of Hydrangeas that bloom on old wood never look good here(obviously a lot warmer where you are climate wise), they always seem to get winter damage or some type of spring frost/freeze issue. 

My in laws have 2 or 3, not sure what variety, but I have rarely seen anything but a random flower or two, many years nothing. I just stick with Panicle and Smooth Hydrangeas that look good every year regardless of winter/spring conditions.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

There are varieties of hydrangea doing just fine in town here, where most winters bottom out near -20 (colder last winter).

I’m not sure what kind these are. I will say we had a couple of years with few blooms, but this year there’s a ton. 

25 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m not sure what kind these are. I will say we had a couple of years with few blooms, but this year there’s a ton. 

Some varieties bloom on new growth but some only do on the previous year’s growth. If you have one of those and had been pruning it back every spring you’ll rarely get flowers.

Just now, dendrite said:

Some varieties bloom on new growth but some only do on the previous year’s growth. If you have one of those and had been pruning it back every spring you’ll rarely get flowers.

I have two that bloom on both, so I shield it and stuff it with pine straw in the winter and see what grows in the spring and trim back the rest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

It does use old growth. I just trim some dead crap off in the spring, but I generally don’t touch them because of what you said. 

“Lawn” is a disatah with ongoing construction that is taking waaaay longer than it should.  Only lawn I have is what the front I did last year and I haven’t kept up with it.  Have only mowed it once this entire growing season and that was a month ago now.  Hasn’t really grown much either since than.

On 6/19/2022 at 5:29 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

“Lawn” is a disatah with ongoing construction that is taking waaaay longer than it should.  Only lawn I have is what the front I did last year and I haven’t kept up with it.  Have only mowed it once this entire growing season and that was a month ago now.  Hasn’t really grown much either since than.

Definitely noticed the lawn has slowed down significantly in terms of growth. Nice to not have to mow every weekend now.