Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Probably The 13th Lawn Thread 2022

Damage In Tolland

3 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Took me several years to figure out grubs were the crux of our lawn problems. Nov 2019...

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

IMG_20191125_072359.jpg

One of my sneaky favorite things on this forum is when you post old grass pics. I literally laugh out loud. It’s like what someone trying to grow grass on the surface of Mars would look like.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:
One of my sneaky favorite things on this forum is when you post old grass pics. I literally laugh out loud. It’s like what someone trying to grow grass on the surface of Mars would look like.

Lol, very true. I have lots of saved pics. Here's another favorite

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

lawn torch.jpg

• Haha 1

My musa basjoos are in. Chicago hardy fig and mulberries as well. We’ll see how well they can survive a winter here. The fig and bananas will obviously die back to the ground, but hopefully put up new growth in the spring. We have fewer growing DDs than the typical zone 5 because of the slow spring warming.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So what could be happening here. The lawn is pretty thin/dead/whatever here. And in this section there are hundreds if not thousands of perfect round holes. Kind of captured them in the second pic.

image.jpeg.b417c69d61ee3ec5ee395a26f63dce11.jpeg

image.jpeg.32c64cac8a111703222b4d549486c4c9.jpeg

I have bees that do that, but the grass grows in. 

10 hours ago, dendrite said:

My musa basjoos are in. Chicago hardy fig and mulberries as well. We’ll see how well they can survive a winter here. The fig and bananas will obviously die back to the ground, but hopefully put up new growth in the spring. We have fewer growing DDs than the typical zone 5 because of the slow spring warming.

image.jpeg

I have a mulberry, gets tons of berries every year but I have to beat the birds cause they swallow them up in no time.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I have a mulberry, gets tons of berries every year but I have to beat the birds cause they swallow them up in no time.

These are the Trader cultivar from that tree in ND that’s survived out there for over 100 years. I wanted to get one as hardy as I could. Unfortunately they are tiny plants, but you have to start somewhere. I plan to grow them in the run (at least one of them) so it’ll be protected from birds. The only problem will be the height. I’ll have to heavily prune it to keep it from going above the hawk netting. I could always find a way to raise the netting up higher too I suppose. 

I’m looking into starting honeyberries now. Anyone grow those?

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I have bees that do that, but the grass grows in. 

Yeah, it could Be bees I guess. They are like perfectly round and I don’t see evidence of burrow piles or anything. I threw some seed down and tried to take it into the holes, we’ll see what happens.

I don’t think it’s grubs 

10 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah, it could Be bees I guess. They are like perfectly round and I don’t see evidence of burrow piles or anything. I threw some seed down and tried to take it into the holes, we’ll see what happens.

I don’t think it’s grubs 

I’m just assuming so I could be wrong. But I have bees doing that. I have no idea what kind of bees they are. They aren’t the typical ones I know. 
But, you would know because they are all over. So I’m surprised you haven’t seen them and makes me question if they’re the bees I have. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m just assuming so I could be wrong. But I have bees doing that. I have no idea what kind of bees they are. They aren’t the typical ones I know. 
But, you would know because they are all over. So I’m surprised you haven’t seen them and makes me question if they’re the bees I have. 

I haven’t see anything out there to be honest, no worms, bugs, anything. It’s weird. And it’s just in that area 

On 4/23/2022 at 6:51 PM, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I don’t think it’s grubs 

Looks like chipmunks, they make small holes like that when they dig.

12 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Looks like chipmunks, they make small holes like that when they dig.

8 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I can't tell how big those holes are. Usually though munk holes aren't as clustered like that. 

8 hours ago, dendrite said:

Looks a little like the larger red ant colony that likes to setup shop in a random place in my backyard every spring. Lookup field ants.

The Holes are maybe a quarter to half inch at most? I suppose it could be ants, but I never see them, and they have been there since like late winter.

Ifs obviously affecting growth there. I’m hoping it’ll fill in. I flung some seed down on Sunday.